DirecTV -- utter garbage (plea for help)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
riggscm said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charper1
The rumor on the street is that eventually "HD-Lite" will become the norm for all providers;

you and I and others may not like it, but that is the RUMOR. As a few have noted, only time will tell
Verizon FIOS has no intention of downrezzing anything. There is no "rumor", there is only static coming from D* to mask their CRAP PQ.

Proc said:
I have a cheapie, Olevia 30-inch LCD TV and the PQ for HD, at least in my case, looks fantastic. I guess I am lucky.

And millions of analog viewers also think their picture on their 30" sets looks great too. Frankly I wouldnt bother with HD at 30 inches. Your set inst big enough to take advantage of the potential of HD, neither is it big enough to see any problems.

vurbano said:
And millions of analog viewers also think their picture on their 30" sets looks great too. Frankly I wouldnt bother with HD at 30 inches. Your set inst big enough to take advantage of the potential of HD, neither is it big enough to see any problems.

Oh, my set isn't big enough?.....puh-leeze.

What is this, a "mine is bigger than yours thing"?

Come on now. I made a statement. The picture (HD) on my 30-inch set looks great. And it does. If you have a large screen and it looks bad, then go to cable.

This statment is just ridiculous "Your set inst big enough to take advantage of the potential of HD..."

Because you wouldn't bother with a 30 inch set, well, I guess that means no one should. If its not a larger screen, then it must be bad, eh?

Maybe I should return my small screen now because I won't be able to take advantage of the potential of HD....hmm, that's just funny and uncalled for. Not everyone has a huge television. Again, I was expressing the fact that it looks good on my set.

at 30" screen HD Lite will look excellent; at 42" if you are not careful HD Lite may fool you; at 60" or more HD Lite is just plain horrible. You can see all the imperfections. I think this is what Vurbano was trying to say.

The HD Lite problem on DirecTv is very pronounced when it is watch on big screens. It is not a rumor, it is a fact; Dish Network just turned Universal HD for the olympics and I was amazed about the difference between D* and E* on just UNIVERSAL HD. On E* you can actually see vivid and vibrant colors while on DirecTv the picture is soft and lacks of detail in the colors. Mind you that UNIVERSAL HD is at the same bitrate in both systems but on Dish Network is at 1920x1080i while on DirecTv is at 1280x1080i. Does this means that the resolution is the one hiding all the details color and softening the picture? It points in that direction. Bottom line is that the 1920x1080i HD channels on DirecTv suffer from two big problems: Downresizing Resolution and starvation of bitrates which makes a huge difference when watching on a screen larger than 60" and may not pass the 42" test if someone is very picky about the PQ.

As far as SD is concerned, I do not bother and wouldn't bother with them. They suck everywhere I have seen them --- Dish, DirecTv or cable. I have yet to watch them on Verizon FIOS and have no input to give.

In conclusion, the 1920x1080i Native HD resolution on DirecTv are all DOWNRESIZED and are very questionable in terms of PQ.

Proc said:
Oh, my set isn't big enough?.....puh-leeze.

What is this, a "mine is bigger than yours thing"?

Come on now. I made a statement. The picture (HD) on my 30-inch set looks great. And it does. If you have a large screen and it looks bad, then go to cable.

This statment is just ridiculous "Your set inst big enough to take advantage of the potential of HD..."

Because you wouldn't bother with a 30 inch set, well, I guess that means no one should. If its not a larger screen, then it must be bad, eh?

Maybe I should return my small screen now because I won't be able to take advantage of the potential of HD....hmm, that's just funny and uncalled for. Not everyone has a huge television. Again, I was expressing the fact that it looks good on my set.

Didnt mean to offend you. Sorry to be so blunt but its the truth. Your set isnt big enough to see the problems and its not big enough to realize all of the benefits of HD. Not knocking you for owning a 30" set but paying for HD programming on a small set is a little ridiculous IMO. The truth of the matter is that the televsion manufacturing industry was absolutely stagnant before HD. It was stuck at 36 inch analog tubes and large RPTV sets that wouldnt sell because they looked unspectacular. Without high definition you would never see 50 or 65 inch sets selling like they are nor would you see the development of large screen LCD and DLP technologies. High definition makes those size screen worth the purchase. And that is what it was created for. To sell electronics. Anyone that thinks it was created to make their viewing experience better on a 27 or 30 inch set needs to go back to OZ. It was created so manufactures could make 5 thousand dollars selling 50 inch plasmas (10 thousand not so long ago). At 30 inches, virtually any signal looks good, at 65 only HD looks good.

And now that you can get a 50 inch DLP sammy in 720p for 1800 bucks they are pushing 1080P. Ever wonder why? the answer is MONEY

Last edited:
I have never read a rant that made all you guys sound as if you were 3 years old.
#1. If you don't like DirectTV Cancel your service
#2. He is baiting you guys into saying and defending yourselfs.
#3. I have D* HD and enjoy it alot and I don't sit around trying to figure out if the PQ is downrezzed or not. Doesn't matter to me it still looks better than SD.

vurbano said:
Didnt mean to offend you. Sorry to be so blunt but its the truth. Your set isnt big enough to see the problems and its not big enough to realize all of the benefits of HD. Not knocking you for owning a 30" set but paying for HD programming on a small set is a little ridiculous IMO. The truth of the matter is that the televsion manufacturing industry was absolutely stagnant before HD. It was stuck at 36 inch analog tubes and large RPTV sets that wouldnt sell because they looked unspectacular. Without high definition you would never see 50 or 65 inch sets selling like they are nor would you see the development of large screen LCD and DLP technologies. High definition makes those size screen worth the purchase. And that is what it was created for. To sell electronics. Anyone that thinks it was created to make their viewing experience better on a 27 or 30 inch set needs to go back to OZ. It was created so manufactures could make 5 thousand dollars selling 50 inch plasmas (10 thousand not so long ago). At 30 inches, virtually any signal looks good, at 65 only HD looks good.

And now that you can get a 50 inch DLP sammy in 720p for 1800 bucks they are pushing 1080P. Ever wonder why? the answer is MONEY

No offense taken. And your follow-up post is well-stated and probably true. However, for me, I have no issue with my smaller set. The NFL Sunday Ticket games looked great in HD as do the programs I watch on the Discovery, HDNet, etc. Maybe the large screen does give off all the nuances of the HD programming, but from where I sit in the Proc Laz-E-Boy, the HD on my small set looks great. Granted, this set is my first foray into HD (got it late last summer), so I am a noob when it comes to this stuff. From someone that came into HD from SD, I have been quite happy. The videophiles who know the ropes better, probably see the flaws.

javahh said:
I have never read a rant that made all you guys sound as if you were 3 years old.
#1. If you don't like DirectTV Cancel your service
#2. He is baiting you guys into saying and defending yourselfs.
#3. I have D* HD and enjoy it alot and I don't sit around trying to figure out if the PQ is downrezzed or not. Doesn't matter to me it still looks better than SD.

Its better than SD..lol

The classic J6P argument..Of course its better than SD..

Its better than SD, but its the worst available HD..

Real impressive...

The argument of the initial poster was that it was not crystal clear when he made some comparison versus another provider on the same channels.

I think everyone will agree with the statement "I do not see somthing wrong with my TV and DirecTv". That's fair and well. But when it is compared to another provider and the difference is noticeable that is the point of the initial poster. Why does he HD looks inferior on DirecTv than what he used to get on another provider? It is a fair question and one that has been asked quite oftenly around here.

It is not an insult to anyone but a fair question why is it that the number one satellite company cannot provide a compatible signal to the competition?

swartzfeger said:
Actually, I am here for help, Jimbo -- I don't know how many ways I need to say this, but I'm just looking for advice/feedback, not trash D*. I *need* this to work, because D*'s about my only hope of getting local HD because of the H20. I've gotta get up for work in 4 hours.. I've got better things to do than just take potshots at DirecTV. I'm simply looking for some answers, solutions and fedback.

For the umpteenth time, if you love your DirecTV service, great -- I hope I'm with you in a few days if this is resolved.

Ok swartzfeger,

This thread is getting so long, I forgot what you were trying to figure out.
I will be glad to help you, if I can.

Jimbo

guffy1 said:
I could not even begin to imagine how hideous D* must look a 65" HDTV...Sounds like a realy bad nightmare to me..

Im sure all the high post apologists around here would claim that its AWESOME BABY!!!!!!

Nope,

Not me, the bigger the screen the worse it will look, HD will look better, because it's HD, but when you take a set amount of pixals and place them on a bigger screen, it will be harder for teh pizals to fill the screen, therefore a worse looking picture.

Smaller the set, the closer the pixals, the better the picture looks ....
Problem is everyone is going to bigger sets and the providers have not been able to keep up with the changes.

Patience, they will. Once D* gets all the sats up and working I expect a much better picture, SD as well as HD.

JMO,

Jimbo

Last edited:
vurbano said:

You too are absolutly correct !!!!!

I bought my Dad a 34'" Sony XBR and it is not really big enough to see the huge difference between SD and HD, except occasinally.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Nope,

Not me, the bigger the screen the worse it will look, HD will look better, because it's HD, but when you take a set amount of pixals and place them on a bigger screen, it will be harder for teh pizals to fill the screen, therefore a worse looking picture.

Smaller the set, the closer the pixals, the better the picture looks ....
Problem is everyone is going to bigger sets and the providers have not been able to keep up with the changes.

Patience, they will. Once D* gets all the sats up and working I expect a much better picture, SD as well as HD.

JMO,

Jimbo

Well said Jimbo..

IMO, this is dead nuts good information Jimbo is giving out..

Last edited:
I have a Mits 65 inch and SD does look worse there than on my 36 inch Sony WEGA XBR tube. But HD on the new H20 is mindblowing 100% perfect picture. Have you had your TV ISA calibrated? Cant hurt. This is not something you can pin on D*. Something is wrong at your place. install, wire, or hardware. What you have is NOT normal

You know Ive thought about this some more and this one thought keeps entering my mind. Ive ignored it before and not spoken about it but here goes.

Fact #1
Some of us who have been watching HD for a few years have realized that those with large (50inch) 1080i RPTV CRT (3 gun type) see the problems before someone with a 720p set.

Fact #2 1080i RPTV is becoming too cheap for retailers to make any money on.

Fact #3 downrezzing is more noticable on 1080i RPTV

Does anyone else get the feeling that the industry wants 1080i RPTV DEAD and downrezzing is one way to push it along?:mad: Kill it because it requires a high quality signal?:rolleyes:

Does anyone see where this is going? Can you imagine salesman now telling consumers "you dont want that, it doesnt do a good job with the new and improved HD"?:mad:

Last edited:
Eric Goempel said:
I have a Mits 65 inch and SD does look worse there than on my 36 inch Sony WEGA XBR tube. But HD on the new H20 is mindblowing 100% perfect picture. Have you had your TV ISA calibrated? Cant hurt. This is not something you can pin on D*. Something is wrong at your place. install, wire, or hardware. What you have is NOT normal

Eric

Where in Ohio is Salem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts