DirecTV / Versus dispute: Who's side are you on?

Who's side are you on in the DirecTV / Versus dispute?

• DirecTV

Votes: 172 79.3%
  • Versus

Votes: 45 20.7%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's hard to know which side to take in this when the details are practically non-existent. How much more is Verus asking for, is Directv paying more than Dish, is this just a way for Comcast to stick a thumb in Directv's eye?
All I know is that Versus is a channel that I watch regularly and if it hasn't been restored by the end of October, when my contract is up I'll be moving to Dish

If D* cannot come to an agreement with VS due to being charged more than the rest of the providers, I say SORRY VS but your GREED from your owner has done you in and you have lost a large portion of your viewership.

I am on D* side of this.

It's hard to know which side to take in this when the details are practically non-existent. How much more is Verus asking for, is Directv paying more than Dish, is this just a way for Comcast to stick a thumb in Directv's eye?
All I know is that Versus is a channel that I watch regularly and if it hasn't been restored by the end of October, when my contract is up I'll be moving to Dish

IF the rumors are true and Comcast is trying to get more money from D*, because they are D* then thats NOT fair bargaining and I'm all for D* holding out on it, hopefully they will come to a compromise sometime soon.

IF D* pays the extra then Comcast can say to other providers that "Well if D* paid it, you can too."
Then they will be having larger issues with the other provider's in the future.

VS is a very minor channel in the overall picture of the D* programming package.
Yes, we would like it, but not at the expense of making my bill MORE just for it.

DTV's side but that's due to Comcast's history with similar issues...no Philly feeds, CSN Northwest. To me, that's a trend that shows their policy.

IF the rumors are true and Comcast is trying to get more money from D*, because they are D* then thats NOT fair bargaining and I'm all for D* holding out on it, hopefully they will come to a compromise sometime soon.

IF D* pays the extra then Comcast can say to other providers that "Well if D* paid it, you can too."
Then they will be having larger issues with the other provider's in the future.

VS is a very minor channel in the overall picture of the D* programming package.
Yes, we would like it, but not at the expense of making my bill MORE just for it.

That's the same thing that happened with the Big Ten Network disputes last year. Comcast finally gave in to BTN then BTN told all of the other major cable companies "Comcast agreed to the fees, you can too." and they all eventually did.

I am not on either side, but I want DirecTV to find a way to make this happen WITHOUT losing the channel for a day a week, a month, or whatever. This is crappy Dish Network-type procedure.

Sandra

Same here, my option isn't up there. I don't support either side in this matter. Greed is a big part of this process and I don't support that.
I am not on either side, but I want DirecTV to find a way to make this happen WITHOUT losing the channel for a day a week, a month, or whatever. This is crappy Dish Network-type procedure.

Sandra

That's the same thing that happened with the Big Ten Network disputes last year. Comcast finally gave in to BTN then BTN told all of the other major cable companies "Comcast agreed to the fees, you can too." and they all eventually did.

that was an issue of where to put the channel. Big 10 wanted it in the basic package in the Big 10 states and the sports pack everywhere else and Comcast wanted it in the sports pack everywhere

They agreed that Comcast put it in the basic package for a year then they can put it where they want

I'm with DirecTV, mainly because I never watch Vs. and I would hate to get a rate increase because of such a minor channel. If Vs. loses the number of subscribers DirecTV brings them, they will be less likely to get sports contracts in the future.

Sandra

DirecTV stated on their twitter account they offered to Comcast to keep VS up on the old terms past the end of the agreement but Comcast refused. DirecTV can't force them to agree.

DirecTV, Comcast fight over Versus distribution -- latimes.com

DirecTV alleges that Versus, which is best known for its Tour de France and National Hockey League coverage, is trying to gouge the distributor by seeking a "more than 20% rate hike." Neither side would talk specifics, but people familiar with the situation say Versus wants an increase from about 21 cents to 26 cents per subscriber per month.

Comcast counters that this isn't about money.

"DirecTV likes to cloud the facts," said Jamie Davis, president of Versus. Davis said DirecTV wanted to move Versus to a package that would let it reach only 6.3 million of the broadcaster's subscribers.

DirecTV does not deny that it wants to place Versus on a tier of service with less reach, but it says Comcast already has similar arrangements with other distributors. The satellite-TV provider, in a statement, called Comcast's position "piggish."

I'm not on either side. My only concern regarding this is what exactly is DirecTV going to do when Versus televises NHL Stanley Cup Conference Finals & Finals games (as they are split between Versus & NBC)? I am a huge NHL fan & not being able to see the biggest games of the season because they are only available on Versus is enough to make me change providers. I've emailed them this question & have yet to receive an answer.

I'm not on either side. My only concern regarding this is what exactly is DirecTV going to do when Versus televises NHL Stanley Cup Conference Finals & Finals games (as they are split between Versus & NBC)? I am a huge NHL fan & not being able to see the biggest games of the season because they are only available on Versus is enough to make me change providers. I've emailed them this question & have yet to receive an answer.

They will have it resolved long before then, I can assure you.

Although I don't watch VS all that much, I do want to have it available. I'm on Directv's side on this one.

I was on DirecTV's side until I read this...

Versus-DirecTV Dispute About Subscriber Loss: Davis* - 2009-09-02 15:48:18 EDT | Multichannel News

Now I am undecided. Versus says it has nothing to do with price, which is what DirecTV has been saying was the issue all along.

That could change my opinion, but I would like to hear the same statement from Comcast that the Versus president gave. Also, what exactly was Davis claimly Directv wanted to do, move VS from its present tier to the Sports Pack? It doesn't really say. That was a bit suspicious to me.

Sorry, but there is not enough information available to take sides in this dispute. Obviously, both parties are at least partially responsible for the situation. I can ony assume the results of the poll are heavily skewed in D*'s favor because it's in the DirecTV Forum being hosted by SatelliteGuys.

I didn't vote because I am not on either side and I don't really care about this channel. Although I did wish they settle this soon as there are many that do like this channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts