DirecTV vs Dish

I know a lot of people think the Hopper has improved PQ over the VIP receivers but there really is no difference. Most of you went from having a VIP receiver and then swapped it out with a Hopper. You did not have any side-by-side comparison.

In our showroom we have a Hopper, Joey and 722k receiver connected to multiple TVs. We sell TVs so each TV is generally on the same channel so the different models can be compared. I'll tell you right now that each TV has the same PQ whether it is connected to a Hopper, Joey, 722k, HDMI or Component.

I believe people just think that it is an improvement because they tell themselves it is. Since it's newer equipment they feel it looks better. The biggest thing that makes the Hopper seem like the PQ is so much better are the menus. There is a major difference in the PQ on the menus and guides because the Hopper has them in HD and the VIPs do not.

I'll tell you right now that each TV has the same PQ whether it is connected ... HDMI or Component.
The connection will most certainly make a difference (at least on some TVs). I can assure you 100% that switching from component to HDMI on our Toshiba has a different picture. I won't say one is "better" than the other, but there's absolutely a difference.

The connection will most certainly make a difference (at least on some TVs). I can assure you 100% that switching from component to HDMI on our Toshiba has a different picture. I won't say one is "better" than the other, but there's absolutely a difference.

I suppose some may be able to see a difference but I don't know how you would. The receiver is outputting the same signal whether it's HDMI or Component. I know I can't tell the difference on any TVs and either can my customers.

If it makes no difference, why would Dish update chipsets? I doubt newer is cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Newer chipsets no doubt come with additional functionality (just throwing out ideas - WiFi, Bluetooth, etc). Also, as the system builders, in this case Dish, add "stuff" to what their systems can do, they will generally want faster processing power (which also comes with newer chipsets).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts