DirecTV vs Uverse

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ClemTiger0408

Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Indianapolis
I apologize if this thread is repetitive, I've spent a lot of time researching but was hoping for a more up-to-date opinion on this.

I'm moving from an apartment where I can get either Uverse or a cable provider (no thanks) to a house where I can get whatever I want.

It's basically down to either keeping Uverse or DirecTV. The main reason I want to switch is picture quality. Uverse is clearly inferior and watching live sports drives me crazy as the pixelation is just awful. However, the Uverse box and user interface is fantastic. I will miss lightning fast channel switching and the great guide.

Channel-wise, I'm indifferent between Uverse and DirecTV. If anything, I would appreciate being able to have Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, although I've gotten used to not having either so these aren't total selling features.

With DirecTV, would I hate losing service in storms? I watch A LOT of TV and Sports and would hate long outages due to storms. I'm not really sure how my bills would compare. This concerns me somewhat as I've heard DirecTV is quite pricey.

But, ugh, Uverse's picture quality is truly awful. Does DirecTV's make up for its shortfalls over Uverse?

I've had both. There is no comparison - go Directv, or Dish, or just about anything else. You apparently like the UVerse UI, and while very pretty, I find it cumbersome to use in comparison to Direct or Dish (I have both at different homes).

I can't speak specifically for you're area, but in GA, weather outages are not really an issue, maybe 3-4 times a year and it really has to be bad - like dark outside in the middle of the day.

Don't buy into the cable company line that "every time it rains you'll lose your satellite signal". That's simply not true. It's hardly ever happens as long as your dish is in proper alignment and your signal is strong.

From my experience, it's rare and very brief. In thirteen years, I've had far fewer and much shorter outages than our local cable company. I can't begin to tell you how many times the neighbors have come over to watch TV because "the cable is out again." It shouldn't be a "deal breaker" for you.

Don't buy into the cable company line that "every time it rains you'll lose your satellite signal". That's simply not true. It's hardly ever happens as long as your dish is in proper alignment and your signal is strong.

That really depends on where you live and what time you record / watch TV. SE florida during summer afternoons you will lose signal far more often than in other areas of the country. Rain fade on average isn't a big deal but it does happen and in certain areas of the country happen more often. Especially with the HD stations.

Not a bid deal, except when that recorded show misses 3 or 4 minutes and you get pissed off.

markfp-1 said:

From my experience, it's rare and very brief. In thirteen years, I've had far fewer and much shorter outages than our local cable company. I can't begin to tell you how many times the neighbors have come over to watch TV because "the cable is out again." It shouldn't be a "deal breaker" for you.

I agree - storm related outages seem to be related more to bad installs or improperly tweaked equipment more than anything else. I used to have a lot of "rain fade" and just assumed it was normal as the cable commercials point out. I finally called DirecTV - they had me run a test an read them some numbers over the phone. They sent a tech out the next day - no charge - who realigned my dish and I have not even experienced pixilation since. In fact we had heavy storms last night and not a single hint of trouble with my signal.

The key is a good line of site between the dish and sats. If there are trees or other obstructions it can affect your signal quality. A good install is also important. Like any service there are good and bad installers (and rushed, overworked installers). QC does a decent job ensuring the DirecTV installers are up to snuff but the occasional bad job gets through. According to the tech that realigned my dish, the original installer had failed to adequately "lock it down" so over time the dish shifted slightly resulting in poor signal.

I still have Comcast for Internet and I have had more outages with that than with DirecTV.

That really depends on where you live and what time you record / watch TV. SE florida during summer afternoons you will lose signal far more often than in other areas of the country. Rain fade on average isn't a big deal but it does happen and in certain areas of the country happen more often. Especially with the HD stations.

Not a bid deal, except when that recorded show misses 3 or 4 minutes and you get pissed off.

The OP is in Indy ....
Probably won't have much of a Rain Fade issue as long as the dish is pointed correctly.
I lose signal every once in a while ( maybe twice a year), but it has to be a very bad storm.

The interesting thing about it is, if I lose signal I know I better go out and pick stuff up from outside as it's gonna be a bad one.

Seeing the storm typically comes from the same general direction the dish points, if it does go out, it has gone out before the storm gets here and when the storm is here, the signal has been back in for quite some time.

The way I look at it is, if the Cable line comes down in a storm, your gonna be out of service for about 3 days, the Sat goes out, once the storm is gone, your back in business.

I apologize if this thread is repetitive, I've spent a lot of time researching but was hoping for a more up-to-date opinion on this.

I'm moving from an apartment where I can get either Uverse or a cable provider (no thanks) to a house where I can get whatever I want.

It's basically down to either keeping Uverse or DirecTV. The main reason I want to switch is picture quality. Uverse is clearly inferior and watching live sports drives me crazy as the pixelation is just awful. However, the Uverse box and user interface is fantastic. I will miss lightning fast channel switching and the great guide.

Channel-wise, I'm indifferent between Uverse and DirecTV. If anything, I would appreciate being able to have Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings, although I've gotten used to not having either so these aren't total selling features.

With DirecTV, would I hate losing service in storms? I watch A LOT of TV and Sports and would hate long outages due to storms. I'm not really sure how my bills would compare. This concerns me somewhat as I've heard DirecTV is quite pricey.

But, ugh, Uverse's picture quality is truly awful. Does DirecTV's make up for its shortfalls over Uverse?

It seems Uverse quality differs from user to user. My experience is its on par with Direc-right now.
This could change. Uverse in my area did some major upgrades.

To me they are very different services.
I have them both. I live in South Florida, so when satellite goes down
my Uverse service works very well. Uverse for me, never goes out.
Its been solid for about 2 years now.

Direc I love for all my Ny sports! Jet, Rangers and Yankees.

So the question for you is If your a sports lover- go direc!
If you want a better package, more bang for your buck go Uverse.

After reading your post, my inclination is that you go with Direc.
If your not happy with the Uverse picture, its a no brainer.
While User interface is nice, you really want top quality HD.

Go direc, you will be happier in the long run.
Price wise direc is more expensive. However there may
be some promos you could take advantage of.

Customer service wise Uverse is tops. No contract!
Direc has not been that great in years. But for new
users they are looking to lock you up in a contract they
will give you a deal.

Last edited:
My experience with Uverse is that the hardware is nice, but the PQ was soft compared to Directv, and I saw some pixellation.

Never had uverse, so I don't have an opinion on that, don't live in the market that carries it. But as far as fading and losing signal, it was raining here in NY, and didn't lose signal, and when I do, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, It isnt longer than 3-5 mins, just need to reset box.

I wouldn't worry about rain fade too much in Indianapolis. You can also get an AM-21 for $50 and connect an antenna so you can watch your locals during the worst of the worst storms that knock out the signal.

We have been rained under here in south Florida.
Record rain.
My Direc and dish network have been knocked
Out under heavy rain.
My Uverse service was working though.

We have been rained under here in south Florida.
Record rain.
My Direc and dish network have been knocked
Out under heavy rain.
My Uverse service was working though.

Of course it is, as long as the cable feeding the neighborhood is in good shape and your inside of 3000 feet of the VRAD you won't have any issues. It doesn't have any thing to do with the weather if the cable is in good shape where your at.

Jimbo said:
Of course it is, as long as the cable feeding the neighborhood is in good shape and your inside of 3000 feet of the VRAD you won't have any issues. It doesn't have any thing to do with the weather if the cable is in good shape where your at.

Yes, Jimbo I'm under the 3000 range. I've heard
Of issues with people close to being out of range.
Not stable.
I know that weather does not affect Uverse.
That's one of the reasons I have it. Not saying its better than Satelite. But it does have its good points.

I have both ATT Uverse and DirecTV. I use Uverse for my internet and DirecTV for viewing. For internet, Uverse is hard to beat (ok, maybe fios). But for TV it sucks.
I have very few issues with rain fade on my DirecTV. It works well except in the worst of storms (located in TX so we get a lot of thunder storms). When I had Dish, the least bit of rain would take out my system.
Hope this helps....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts