DIRECTV Was In Talks With Competitor Prior to AT&T Deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Less than a week before it announced its $67 billion merger with AT&T, DirecTV continued to hold talks with an undisclosed competitor, according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission Tuesday.

DirecTV first held talks with the competitor, identified only as Company A, back in 2011, but broke off discussions in September of that year without an offer being made. DirecTV chairman Mike White and his counterpart at Company A met briefly when both attended a conference in Washington D.C, in December of 2013, discussing operational challenges and the potential for a combination. Those talks heated up in February 2014, in the wake of Comcast’s announcement that it would buy Time Warner Cable in a deal valued at about $69 billion in stock and assumed debt.

While Company A was not identified in the SEC filings, Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen was said to have contacted White about merger possibilities shortly after the Comcast/TWC deal was announced, according to several published reports. Dish also owns a large swath of wireless spectrum, which it plans to use for a wireless broadband service.

In March, while it was still holding preliminary discussions with Company A, White had a brief meeting with AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson while both were attending an unrelated Washington D.C. conference, where the possibility of a merger was brought up.

Source & More: multichannelnews.com

Here's Charlies play, Screw up the ATT deal by getting NFL ST, then make a play for DirecTV. Now it all makes sense as why Charlie is screwing with the deal. Either way Directv Merges with ATT or Dish. Pick your poison. I am on the fence. I dont know which company would be the best fit but my gut tells me its Dish. Charlie was going to put an offer on the table when ATT came in and made its play effectively messing up Charlie's plans. I wonder how much Charlie hates Randall Stevenson.

I'm trying to figure out why the fact that they had another company interested in them is a Big deal .... ya gotta think that these things happen often.

There was an article a few years back where Charlie went on record saying he would never do business with AT&T ever again for any reason. It had to do with how ATT scammed their way out of a partnership with dish for the bundle and jumped ship to directv. Centurylink atleast did not burn their bridge with dish when they left. I'm sure Charlie still holds vengeful feelings to AT&T.

There was an article a few years back where Charlie went on record saying he would never do business with AT&T ever again for any reason. It had to do with how ATT scammed their way out of a partnership with dish for the bundle and jumped ship to directv. Centurylink atleast did not burn their bridge with dish when they left. I'm sure Charlie still holds vengeful feelings to AT&T.
Good ...
Personally, I was happy when we ended our partnership with DISH.

And now we must be sworn enemies. Lol jk. Everyone has their opinions. I personally am not a Fan of AT&T but I know a lot of people who swear by them. To each their own.

Not for atleast 2 years on the "part time hd". NY RSNs. Probably not for a very long time. Especially with fox threatening to sue using aereo.

NY RSN's wil be Coming Soon Stay Tuned with Charlie we have to learn to wait!! ;) :)

I am pretty patient. I just don't see it happening. Not with fox suing dish and in the 9th circuit.

They almost let it go already. Only thing tying them to it at this point is the clause in the merger agreement. If not for that in sure they would have allowed google to make it's play for the the ST

They almost let it go already. Only thing tying them to it at this point is the clause in the merger agreement. If not for that in sure they would have allowed google to make it's play for the the ST
Thats YOUR opinion ...

Not sure where they almost let it go at ...

I think it's a NFL issue for starters, but then if the NFL decides that they can make more money from D* by keeping it exclusive, they will.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)