DirecTV with Dish Triplexer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
My dad's house currently has dish network with a triplexer / diplexer setup to allow the coax used to carry the satellite signal to also carry the VHF/UHF signal of the receivers second TV output.

He is switching to DirecTV. but only one HD receiver. The second TV is not used much and is a SD tv. He is ok with watching the same thing on both TV's. I mentioned that he could use the RCA inputs with a cheap modulator, but he would need to run another coax to the other TV.

Is it possible to use the dish triplexer/diplexer to accomplish this task without having to run another coax? (using the existing one?) or some other product?

the dish triplexer will not work with Directv. That is a Dish specific switch

All you'd have to do is switch out the triplexer for a simple diplexer (you'll need 2 of them). That will allow you to run the output to a 2nd TV which I assume already has wiring at least partially from the dish network setup

Sorry I mis spoke in the first message. He will have two HD non DVR boxes. Not sure if they will run separate lines or use a swm. If they use a swm will that affect the duplexer setup? I thought I remember the Swm uses some really low frequency like 2mhz

Last edited:
swm systems can't use diplexers.

I'm sure it can as here at the apartment complex there are alot of diplexers being used. We only have one cable from the phone closet to the apartment and there are folks who have cable internet and Directv (we get D* for free)

http://swm8.com/swm-faq.php

Check the "off-air port" paragraph.
You have an off-air antenna and a 5LNB HD DIRECTV dish and want to combine the signals on one line.The SWM8 (only*) solves the problem!
You have a cable and DIRECTV signal that you want to combine onto one line.The SWM8 (only*) solves the problem!
*Using this feature is only available with a SWM8, and will NOT work with Multi-Room Vieiwing (MRV), also known as "whole home DVR."

You have an off-air antenna and a 5LNB HD DIRECTV dish and want to combine the signals on one line.The SWM8 (only*) solves the problem!
You have a cable and DIRECTV signal that you want to combine onto one line.The SWM8 (only*) solves the problem!
*Using this feature is only available with a SWM8, and will NOT work with Multi-Room Vieiwing (MRV), also known as "whole home DVR."

I was just pointing out that you can use a diplexer on a swm system. BTW, I thought you couldn't use a diplexer with cable signals on a swm setup.

He got directv installed. SL3S dish with one wire going down to a 4port splitter in the basement. I think it says "SWM" splitter". Then going up to the tvs there's a black box it goes through for power.

I think he is going to try the diplexer first just to see if it works, otherwise he'll run a cable. the RF modulator he plans to use puts the signal on channel 3 or 4 which I think is around 60Mhz. I would think this is pretty far away from the other signal on the line. I'm just not sure what kind of filters he may run into.

I was just pointing out that you can use a diplexer on a swm system. BTW, I thought you couldn't use a diplexer with cable signals on a swm setup.

yes you can. Here at the complex we only have one line from the cable junction box downstairs up tot he apartment and folks have Directv and cable internet. Plenty of diplexers in the box. But then again most of the folks here are just SD only ;)

here is a pic of one of the junction boxes downstairs (we have two of them)
If you blow the pic up you'll see a few red holland diplexers there.

Attachments

• pic 4.JPG
    pic 4.JPG
    881.8 KB · Views: 258
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)