Directv with no credit history?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

larlane

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
I tried to sign up my 90 year old father today. He has never paid for anything on credit. He pays cash for everything- including cars. He does not own a credit card, but he does have a debit card. CS rep asked for social security to run credit check and he was told they needed $200 up front and would credit his bill $5 a month. I can understand the up front fee due to lack of credit history, but $5 a month?????Any way to get around this?

I tried to sign up my 90 year old father today. He has never paid for anything on credit. He pays cash for everything- including cars. He does not own a credit card, but he does have a debit card. CS rep asked for social security to run credit check and he was told they needed $200 up front and would credit his bill $5 a month. I can understand the up front fee due to lack of credit history, but $5 a month?????Any way to get around this?

Can you sign up for it in your name?

I don't keep up and Directv has changed their credit requirements many times. I do remember a time when there was a discount offered for paying the year in advance. The other approach might be finding a local retailer and ordering through him. Directv might hear his voice regarding one of many deals he has sent them. And I did hear a customer threaten to buy Directv and fire the CSR who couldn't get his account working.

Good luck,

Joe

If I am not mistaken the $5 per month is a credit to the bill not an additional charge. Why would you want to get around the $5 credit unless you wanted to try and get the deposit back quicker. I think that this is the way they end up giving back the deposit for the amount of time you have service. After 40 months of service you would have have received $200 worth of credits essentially giving you back the $200 deposit.

I don't keep up and Directv has changed their credit requirements many times. I do remember a time when there was a discount offered for paying the year in advance. The other approach might be finding a local retailer and ordering through him. Directv might hear his voice regarding one of many deals he has sent them. And I did hear a customer threaten to buy Directv and fire the CSR who couldn't get his account working.

Good luck,

Joe

I do this ... don't think there is any automatic discount they give for it though.

I just try to bargain with them and they usually end up giving me money towards this programming or that package, but nothing concrete. They don't give you money back of course, they just discount the package with credits or cover some fees.

A $5 a month credit is money they will give back as a bill credit to him. I think you misunderstood that part.

No, I understood fully. Why does it take 40 months to get it back? How about making it equal out so it can be recovered in the same amount of time as the 2 year agreement? 40 months is horse hockey. Putting it in my name is not an option. Thanks for the replies, though.

Have you tried Dish?They have a pay as you go plan.

Collateralized Credit Card!

Your father deposits enough cash for their requirement....they open the account........every month they hit the account...........after two years everyone makes a new decision.

Try another Directv CSR......ask the same questions.............mention you are speaking with DISH.

Banks can issue these cards.

A thought,

joe

Good luck,

Joe

Except for a couple states by law, Directv may require a credit card. Either way they will run your credit.
Perhaps a satellite system is not the best option here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)