DIRECTV2PC on TVInput list.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
I got a new TV the other day. It is an LG TV. This is my first LG and I must say that I enjoy it immensely. The only thing that irritates me a little is the fact that DIRECTV2PC Media Server appears on the input list. Why? Nothing plays from it on the TV... all that stuff is on my DVR. Is there a way to shut that off from
appearing there? I have searched the menus on the TV and Directv receiver and found nothing that makes it go away.

I like how the LG TV has an antenna as the icon for the TV input.

What you are seeing is the Directv box media server capabilities. Unfortunately it only allows the Directv2PC software to access it via a powerful desktop computer,

TVs, Xbox, PS3 will often see it but cant play from it.

They show up in your Windows network groups too. The only way to stop it showing up (unless there is a setting in the TV) is to assign the receivers IP addresses in a different subnet than the rest of your network devices. The Directv2PC servers running on the DVRs are technically UPnP/DLNA compliant which is why they get detected. Its also pretty stupid that they make you buy a nomad rather than allowing streams from what is already installed and working on the units.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

They show up in your Windows network groups too. The only way to stop it showing up (unless there is a setting in the TV) is to assign the receivers IP addresses in a different subnet than the rest of your network devices. The Directv2PC servers running on the DVRs are technically UPnP/DLNA compliant which is why they get detected. Its also pretty stupid that they make you buy a nomad rather than allowing streams from what is already installed and working on the units.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

How would one go about doing the subnet? My Internet/modem is in my signature. TWC did not install any program on my computer when they installed my internet.

Change all of your DirecTV receivers to static IPS.. Menu > Settings > Network Setup > Advanced Settings.

You should see an IP address like 192.168.1.123.. it could vary depending on your router (sorry signatures don't show on tapatalk) and the last digit will be different on each receiver.

Basically all you should have to do is increase the THIRD number (the 1 in my example) by one. So the new IP would be 192.168.2.123. Leave all other settings the same.. Do this on all of your receivers. They should then still be able to talk to each other and the internet, but they shouldnt talk to the rest of your network.

There's a chance you might need to change a setting in your router, but most likely not. If the receivers stop talking to the internet I'll go into that.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

His sig only shows Timewarner Internet with a ubee modem, and 30mb speed just fyi, and I dont believe you can just change that setting in the receiver and still connect to the internet, dont forget the cck will automatically grab an ip from the dhcp server from his router. The settings he needs to change are most definitely going to be acquired by bridging a second router from your first. And a dual nat is no easy configuration in my experience, then again college was close to 10yrs ago. The easy way is grab a cheap router (in addition to what you have now) and plug it into your existing router, when you set it up, configure it to automatic, and it should grab a wan ip of 192.168.x.yyy. x most likely being 1 unless you change it. next you want to change the settings of your new router to assign 192.168.y.zzz. Y being 1 > than x so most likely 2 to your new second network. Plug your cck into the 2nd router, and in theory this should cover you. I could be wrong but this is the first thing I would personally try, someone chime in if I am incorrect.

Hmm yeah I just tried it myself and it doesn't talk to the internet. Windows machines can be forced to do it but it doesn't work here.. I agree, at this point running the second router is the only way. Double NAT works right out of the box in most cases. Special setup is only required for certain services like p2p where a server needs to be visible to the internet.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.