DirecTV's 1080p via VoD

Don't overreact. This is their first attempt at 1080p with brand new drivers, it is not expected to work everywhere right now, that is the purpose of the test.

There will be some updates on D*'s end and our end (CEs) over the next weeks to months. It may be a little while before 1080p is ready to be a normal channel for everyone, with advertising, etc.

Dish is going through the same growing pains, these chipset drivers and software are just starting to appear. Think back to when they launched OTA (the first CE), it was 3-6 months before it was stable and reliable in the software.

Well I am not freaking out but it does frustrate me since it will not play on my tv at 1080p. I have to switch to 1080i in order to get it to play.

At least you're having a chance to try it, there's bunches of E* folks that still haven't seen their 1080p VoD movie show up on their DVR to find out if it will work or not.

At least you're having a chance to try it, there's bunches of E* folks that still haven't seen their 1080p VoD movie show up on their DVR to find out if it will work or not.

That's right. i don't know about some of you but i downloaded this 1080p movie the bucket list and even though i had to watch it in 1080i it was very high quality hd. to me anyways.

There are still handshake issue with my Denon 3808CI receiver..the 720p and 1080i lights are on the HR20 but just black screen with no audio. Are any of you able to go hdmi through your receiver and get the movie to play 1080p/24. I think Directv will have to fix this issue before it goes national.

I just downloaded the latest CE last night and, on my HR20 w/1080p Sammy, and have been able to verify 1080p as functional via setup-hdtv. I can tune channel 1080 and last night would only get some sort of 'unavailable' message... However, when I went back just now to copy the message exactly for this post, I discovered the On Demand screen on 1080 and started downloading The Bucket List. My speed is a miserable (relatively) 1.5mbs so I imagine I'm looking and many hours to download. On the strange side, my internet connection does not appear to be active by the look of my modem in this room, so I'm not sure if its actually getting to me. This may be my first DoD attempt on this receiver which is set via via D*'s powerline network although by all accounts it is working fine.

Just checked the queue and its there but paused. Unpaused and restarted it. Failed with and exclamation point. Perhaps my network needs more tweaking. Argh.

Update: Powerline network connected to network, but not internet. Yea, something new to work on.

Last edited:
I just bought a new 1080P panel and while the pic looks amazing I get broken or no sound via the HDMI port. However, the optical audio out is working fine.

I'm currently downloading the new movie they put up and it's doing it as well.

I downloaded the new CE software last night but I still can't get the new 1080p test movie to work. I tried the Bank Job but it will not play on native setting. I wonder if Directv will ever try testing 1080p movies at 60fps?

I downloaded the new CE software last night but I still can't get the new 1080p test movie to work. I tried the Bank Job but it will not play on native setting. I wonder if Directv will ever try testing 1080p movies at 60fps?

Both of the movies are 1080p/24, not 60. It should look great at 1080i, however.

I have an HR20-700 connected to a 58" Samsung and I can verify that the download works for me and plays at 1920x1080@24Hz which tells me 1080p. Unfortunately I have to find a solution to my powerline internet issue as I managed to get 2% of TBL when (as far as I knew), my hr20 was not in fact connected to the internet. Its very strange... But the good news is that what I got of the movie looks pretty darn nice.

IMHO I think powerline devices are a last resort type deal; something to "get by". It is well worth the money to get a good router, an ethernet switch/hub and hard wire the house with CAT6.

IMHO I think powerline devices are a last resort type deal; something to "get by". It is well worth the money to get a good router, an ethernet switch/hub and hard wire the house with CAT6.

Well, I would have hard wired it had I been thinking way back when when I tore out a bunch of drywall to run 2 cable lines (rg6) back when I only had one and first installed D*. I now have very little desire to try to run 100'+ over the top of my house (I have a flat roof w/no eaves) in the desert sun here in Tucson. Then I have to tear out my drywall again after moving my new and extremely heavy entertainment center.

The Powerline seemed to me to be a better option than one of those wireless game adapters, but it now seems that I should have gone that way to start with. However, as my router is only a G and not N, I wasn't convinced that I'd get enough bandwidth without upgrading my router as well... Its weird: The hr-20 on the powerline adaper shows up on my network (as do my other 2 boxes which are hardwired), but it won't go out to the internet (which my other 2 do just fine). I am fairly sophisticated (though not an expert) on networking and this just has me scratching my head... Especially since it did work enough to get 2% of TBL without me even knowing it had connected.

1080P is working with tonight's CE

Ok. Downloaded tonight's CE and had to unplug receiver and plug it back in for it to turn on but I can watch the Bank Job in 1080p now via HDMI to my Onkyo SR705 to my Mitsubishi 1080p DLP.

The only glitch I had was that when I went to the DirecTV setup for the resolutions it flashed and told me that my TV did not support 1080p. I tried it a second time after it flashed and I hit the info button and it turned to 1080p resolution check mark on.

1080p LOOKS AWESOME!! :D

STILL no 1080p for me Hr21-100

Are you trying it on a monitor that supports 1080p/24Hz? It should work now on most (if not all) monitors that support that resolution for their 1080p programming.

They are working on the handshake issues with AV receivers/switches and more should work now.

To help Directv, please post the model numbers of your equipment that is hooked up that isn't working with the 1080p/24 programming.

Are you trying it on a monitor that supports 1080p/24Hz? It should work now on most (if not all) monitors that support that resolution for their 1080p programming.

They are working on the handshake issues with AV receivers/switches and more should work now.

To help Directv, please post the model numbers of your equipment that is hooked up that isn't working with the 1080p/24 programming.

DJ,
I have the Bucket List from about a month ago still on the recorder, are you saying that D* has corrected it or that I would need to re download it to see if it works correctly now ?

Jimbo

DJ,
I have the Bucket List from about a month ago still on the recorder, are you saying that D* has corrected it or that I would need to re download it to see if it works correctly now ?

Jimbo

I'm saying they are working on it and have made improvements - somebody posted in the lastest CE thread that a previous configuration that didn't work before, now does with this week's CE. You shouldn't have to re-download the movies. All of the changes will be done to the receiver firmware itself. If you are still having an issue, post your model numbers so Directv can keep working on it ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)