DIRECTV's Big HDTV Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scott Greczkowski said:
I think Swanni must have switched to Decaf or something. His articles lately have actually been decent. :)
He and I have actually been corresponding today on this, and admittedly, there are some holes in the whole discussion on the subject (which I pointed out in detail directly to him). He indicated he may be using my content as the foundation for a broader view.

The article clearly is slanted towards providing a narrow view, and not the big picture. It also misrepresents that fact that mainstream American views as much (if not more) HD on the major networks as they do on HD-only providers. For that reason, D* has been focused on launching the LIL HD channels first. Apparently, with just under 1 Million HD customers and over 15 1/2 million overall - they must be doing something right. To the frustration of a handful of detractors (the regular whiners/bashers - they know who they are) who think this narrow/blinder view of the world is just fine - the reality is that business decisions on the launch of specific channels is not a "it's-all-about-me" issue.

Today there are maybe 3-5 viable additional national HD channels that could be added to the D* stable. Forget the former Voom stuff for the moment - that's a whole other argument that's already been bantered.

In 6-9 months, D* will have all the bandwidth they need to add more national HD channels, eliminate the compression as they see fit, and make the whiners numb with the content possible.

I'd like to see all the HD possible, but that said, there's plenty today and more coming soon. Somehow, I suspect mainstream viewers will somehow survive a few more months to get the Utopian World inventories that a minority few constantly feel is required to sustain life as we know it. :cool:

At least they have a plan and are executing it. I'd be far more worried if I was an HD cable or E* customer, as nothing is really in place (funding, development, infrastructure or otherwise) to do much more than what they have today during the next few years in those arenas.

A year from now, it'll be interesting to see what the D* executioners have to talk about. :eek:

Satmeister said:
He and I have actually been corresponding today on this, and admittedly, there are some holes in the whole discussion on the subject (which I pointed out in detail directly to him). He indicated he may be using my content as the foundation for a broader view.

The article clearly is slanted towards providing a narrow view, and not the big picture. It also misrepresents that fact that mainstream American views as much (if not more) HD on the major networks as they do on HD-only providers. For that reason, D* has been focused on launching the LIL HD channels first. Apparently, with just under 1 Million HD customers and over 15 1/2 million overall - they must be doing something right. To the frustration of a handful of detractors (the regular whiners/bashers - they know who they are) who think this narrow/blinder view of the world is just fine - the reality is that business decisions on the launch of specific channels is not a "it's-all-about-me" issue.

Today there are maybe 3-5 viable additional national HD channels that could be added to the D* stable. Forget the former Voom stuff for the moment - that's a whole other argument that's already been bantered.

In 6-9 months, D* will have all the bandwidth they need to add more national HD channels, eliminate the compression as they see fit, and make the whiners numb with the content possible.

I'd like to see all the HD possible, but that said, there's plenty today and more coming soon. Somehow, I suspect mainstream viewers will somehow survive a few more months to get the Utopian World inventories that a minority few constantly feel is required to sustain life as we know it. :cool:

At least they have a plan and are executing it. I'd be far more worried if I was an HD cable or E* customer, as nothing is really in place (funding, development, infrastructure or otherwise) to do much more than what they have today during the next few years in those arenas.

A year from now, it'll be interesting to see what the D* executioners have to talk about. :eek:

If I said I love you, would that be uncomfortable for you? Actually this is just what I have been saying all along, you just put it perfectly!!!! (by the way I dont love you, just what you wrote)

Satmeister:

I understand your position and many others that defend D's* present Game Plan, but don't agree, myself. With a sizable investment in HD equipment unitizing both D* and E* HD and a Home Theater Room I am not going to wait to ENJOY what is available NOW from E*!

Next Summer is a long way off. No guarantees in life or with D*. Wife and myself are enjoying a lot of HD supplied by E* now and yes some (very little except OTA)
using D*.

Those that wait for something better and usually cheaper may never see tomorrow, but those that enjoy today can not be deprived of that enjoyment for Family and Friends.

It can't be about the money since it would cost very little to make a change even if there is a commitment to D* to break, since it is pro-rated.

Why do I still have D* HD since I clearly enjoy and recommend E*? Well I agree D* may catch-up or even be a better HD provider in about one year, but since I have a large inventory of purchased D* DVRs and receivers I might as will keep in service for SD use. However at least on my set-up even SD looks better with E*!

Many just don't seem to care but they would be amazed to see how much more quality HD programing is available now from E* NOW in my opinion, and could change back to D* in the future if their plans do work out at little cost compared to any investment they have made to view HD, now.

Sorry not waiting any year here to enjoy today! Good Luck to all that do plan to wait.

I doubt you'll see the compression problem go away anytime soon on CONUS HD. They simply have limited bandwidth using their current modulation scheme on 110/119. In order to fix the bandwidth problem they will have to move some of the content over to either their already packed 101 bird or to their KA birds which we all know there aren't many of the KA dishes installed. It will come one day...but it will take a while.

You will probably see national HD added next year to their KA fleet, anyone requiring the HD material will have to perform an upgrade much like E*'s situation.

stuart628 said:
exactly! thank you bgilga and Scott! by the way, Scott thanks for being neutral and calling it like you see it, thats is very refreshing!
And D* has NEVER admitted that there is a PQ problem and NEVER said that the sats would improve PQ. EVERYONE knows the first step to solving anything is admitting a problem. They can throw all of the satellites they want too up there, but if they do not stop beaming down HDlite, they will hemmorage HD subs who have been hanging on.

bgilga said:
Check with Scott on this, but back in June, when Dish added all those channels in HD, the retailers were told to take advantage of the edge we have in HD right now, because it isn't going to last for the near future.

Over time both companies will be back and forth with programming leads (so what's new?). Both will be back & forth with various technologies and PQ enhancements (again what's new?). Each will experience a lead over the other at various points until they are basically even in those areas. I believe it is called competition, which is obviously good for the consumer.

There's not enough of a customer base out there for 3 satellite companies to survive let alone 2 (the VOOM debacle proved that). As HD grows that may change, but at some point they will probably merge. Between now and then its just a matter of where your overall satisfaction lies.

We all have choices. Jump back & forth; ride with who we feel comfortable with; or go to cable. In the meantime these events will provide everyone food to comment on in these forums.:)

Last edited:
geaux1 said:
Food network and MTV suck, who cares about, get some more decent stuff like more CI and sports package HD feeds every night, and I can see Starz and NG and stuff, but that other stuff is sjust crap.

and CDUSA isn't?
I would love to have HGTVHD, A&EHD, INHD, NGHD, OLNHD, and the list goes on and on

and all of D* plans hinge on one thing, "A successful launch of those sats" (yes successful)
a million and one things could happen to prevent even one new anything for D*
and then what??????????????

Last edited:
rkr0923 said:
and CDUSA isn't? I would love to have HGTVHD, A&EHD, INHD, NGHD, OLNHD, and the list goes on and on

Wouldn't we all? And some day we will.:up

rkr0923 said:
and all of D* plans hinge on one thing, "A successful launch of those sats" (yes successful)

And a asteroid could hit the earth and then what????????????? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
rkr0923 said:
and CDUSA isn't?
I would love to have HGTVHD, A&EHD, INHD, NGHD, OLNHD, and the list goes on and on

I wouldnt play that game, because you could say that about any company! ANY, what if something happened to Dish networks satellites, Then what?\

No you can't say that about any company. As far as I know D* and E* are the only Satellite TV providers that, well, use Satellites, which have to be launched and positioned and tested.

and if a asteroid hits earth (rolling eyes), well we have no worries then do we.
avoid it if you wanna, but it all hinges on that launch.

If something happened to E*, well no Sat, but they haven't been waving Oh just wait till late 07, you will be blown away with HD

I think the real problem here is a growing public perception that D*s HD lineup is lagging behind the other providers and that what they do provide is of inferior quality. Doesn't help that the perception is actually mostly true, at least for the short term. This kind of thing can stick in the public consciousness significantly beyond the reality of the situation. In other words, it is bad word-of-mouth that won't immediately get better even after D* launches the news sats and channels.

rkr0923 said:
No you can't say that about any company. As far as I know D* and E* are the only Satellite TV providers that, well, use Satellites, which have to be launched and positioned and tested.

and if a asteroid hits earth (rolling eyes), well we have no worries then do we.
avoid it if you wanna, but it all hinges on that launch.

If something happened to E*, well no Sat, but they haven't been waving Oh just wait till late 07, you will be blown away with HD

sorry you make no sense, I kinda see where you are coming from, if sat isnt launched, then no 150 national channels, but also in the same breath, if a sat for E* breaks down no channels, if cable has problems No HD Channels, you could really say that about any company. and your right Dish network is not promising National HD channels in the future, only D*, remember that.

Yes, what Stuart said! Actually I have nothing to add here just wanted everyone to see my avatar in support of the Nittany Lions on Saturday against those dreaded Buckeyes who I have the unlucky circumstance to live right in the middle of.

FlyingJ said:
Yes, what Stuart said! Actually I have nothing to add here just wanted everyone to see my avatar in support of the Nittany Lions on Saturday against those dreaded Buckeyes who I have the unlucky circumstance to live right in the middle of.

OH

IO

geaux1 said:
Food network and MTV suck, who cares about, get some more decent stuff like more CI and sports package HD feeds every night, and I can see Starz and NG and stuff, but that other stuff is sjust crap.

We have enough HD sports now. We need NG etc.:D

There are only 2 things that will force D* to start doing HD right:

1) A court decision against them

2) A significant number of customers leaving D*

If 1) comes true and DirecTV appears to be dragging their feet to do HD right, then 2) seems almost inevitable.

Will D* let it go that far?

Do you think the HD execs at D* are burning the midnight oil to figure out the right thing to do?

stuart628 said:
If I said I love you, would that be uncomfortable for you? Actually this is just what I have been saying all along, you just put it perfectly!!!! (by the way I dont love you, just what you wrote)
Who's your daddy! :D

All kidding aside. Obviously in any issue, the naysayers are usually the most vocal and willing to speak up. How often do most people say "things are fine", things are almost perfect", "I'm satisfied", etc. -- almost never. Any talk of lawsuits and the like are just zealot negative rubbish. If they spent 1/2 the time watching HDTV than they do writing degrading negative posts, we'd never hear from them again.

It's nice to know that despite the same repeated negativity from a handful of posters, there are others like us who are not afraid to show the other side of the coin and see reality, not to mention positive things in the real world of HDTV.

Things are good now (not perfect), getting better, and something to look forward in the future as well. :up

Satmeister said:
Who's your daddy! :D

All kidding aside. Obviously in any issue, the naysayers are usually the most vocal and willing to speak up. How often do most people say "things are fine", things are almost perfect", "I'm satisfied", etc. -- almost never. Any talk of lawsuits and the like are just zealot negative rubbish. If they spent 1/2 the time watching HDTV than they do writing degrading negative posts, we'd never hear from them again.

It's nice to know that despite the same repeated negativity from a handful of posters, there are others like us who are not afraid to show the other side of the coin and see reality, not to mention positive things in the real world of HDTV.

Things are good now (not perfect), getting better, and something to look forward in the future as well. :up

I agree 100%!~

For me it's not just that DirecTV is lagging on NAtional HD, we've had Direc since the inception of the DTC-100.

It goes much deeper, the way they treat their customers with the Sunday black out, and they don't even inform their own people. At CEDIA the folks staffing the DirecTV booth were clueless, a few of them had no clue about the Sunday fiasco.

DirecTV is all about money, they turned their backs on their independant dealers and then slashed their techs pay thru the HSP system, federal lawsuits from coast to coast in the HSP network, including at least 1 FBI investigation. DirecTV's owner is the same one that brought us the sterling PQ known as "Fox Widescreen" (480p). DirecTV has no problem sticking it to folks that want to cancel, but ignores their own agreement when it comes to notification of their customers on programming changes.

If it weren't for Sunday ticket DirecTV would be sunk, and we're all paying the price for Sunday ticket.

Dish has their issues as well but I'll take bets that there will NEVER be a Rupert Chat on DirecTV, they're too afraid of the customers they've alienated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts