Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimK2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
DirecTV's HD 100: The List Grows

A&E (Sept.)
Altitude (RSN; Dish launching in HD this fall)
Animal Planet (Sept.)
Big Ten Network *
Bravo *
Cartoon Network *
Chiller
CNBC
CNN *
Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD
Discovery Channel (Sept.)
Discovery HD Theater (channel 76)
ESPN HD (channel 73)
ESPN2 HD (channel 72)
Food Network *
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
FX *
HBO HD (channel 70)
HDNet (channel 79)
HDNet Movies (channel 78)
HGTV *
MTV *
NGC HD (channel 98 - sneak peek only)
New England Sports Network HD (channel 623)
NFL Network *
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 1
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 2
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 3
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 4
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 5
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 6
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 7
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 8
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 9
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 10
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 11
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 12
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 13
Pay-Per-View HD (channel 99)
SCI FI Channel *
Showtime HD (channel 71)
Showtime West *
Speed *
SportsNet New York HD (channel 625)
SportsSouth (RSN; now in HD on Dish)
Starz East coast feed (Sept.)
Starz West coast feed (Sept.)
Starz Comedy (Sept.)
Starz Edge (Sept.)
Starz Kids & Family (Sept.)
Sun Sports (RSN now in HD on Dish)
TBS *
The 101 (part-time HD)
The History Channel (Sept.)
The Movie Channel *
The Science Channel (Sept.)
The Tennis Channel *
The Weather Channel (Sept.) *
TLC (Sept.)
TNT HD (channel 75)
Universal HD (channel 74)
USA Network *
Versus *
YES HD (channel 622)
+ 2 TBA Discovery-owned networks

HD channels launching in 2008:

ABC Family
Disney Channel
ESPNEWS HD
Toon Disney

* Announced
http://www.cable360.net/competition/23638.html

That will be some list. Wonder how they will charge for those new channels? Have a seperate tier all together for HD customers that includes only the SD channels they don't have in HD? Makes you say Hmmmmmm.

so there are really 38 HD channels coming all the RSNs and NFL game channels don't count

It will be even better if it could be categorized into two lists -- One National HD channel and the other Regional or Event HD channels. Just my opinion.

That will be some list. Wonder how they will charge for those new channels? Have a seperate tier all together for HD customers that includes only the SD channels they don't have in HD? Makes you say Hmmmmmm.

Chase Carey said the HD fee, now $9.99/month, will be the fee charged. I am sure you'll need the corresponding SD package to get the HD feed, but not bad considering what E* charges for their HD package. I am sure in 2008, the HD fee will go up though.

If a channel is available nationally, it has to be a national channel. In fact I would venture a guess that many RSNs would have a larger national viewing audience than most of the voom channels. That's how I see it.

Didn't they say no change in pricing? If they pull it off it will be a good deal.

I for one cant find much fault with that list. I don't really look at the combined total as others have. Dont care about the marketing aspect. What I look at, will this add valuable HD content to my daily/weekly viewing. There are some really cool channels on that list. The only one I definitely want that has NOT announced an HD version is Comedy Central but thats not D*'s fault.

Just an example of how it might change my subscription package. I subscribe to HBO. I like the original programming but you can get those now on DVD via Netflix. With all the Starz additions, I might toss HBO for Starz. With VOD, that might even cause me to drop Netflix. Its still wait and see but I am looking forward to the new stuff. I watch a good deal of TV but that list wont really add to my watching. Its gonna bump stuff. Networks come to mind given that more and more of shows I watch get canceled every year.

Yeah, alot of my shows over the last 2 years have gone off the air one way or the other. It has freed up alot of time spaces.

I've always liked Comedies but they are getting crushed in the ratings. Its all crime scene investigation stuff which I have no interest. Even dramas I started to watch dont make it to year 2. Canceling Arrested Development was a shot below the belt. Despite some slow episodes in Season 3, that thing was a masterpiece and should have never been canceled. Even Showtime canceled Dead Like Me which I loved.

so there are really 38 HD channels coming all the RSNs and NFL game channels don't count
I have the following count:
39 National HD channels
21 RSN Channels
14 NFL Channels
8 Premium movie channels
1 PPV movie channel

39 + 8 + 1 = 48 National HD Channels (including Premiums & PPV and 4 channels launching in 2008)
This is well short of the 100 National HD Channels by the end of 2007.

Capacity and channels at launch will be 2 different things. I also think D* is going to do more PPV HD channels which will part of that 100 list. I also think they have a few tricks planned which should be surprising. Might not be released immediately but its going to make news releases fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)