DIRECTV's Ultimate 'Displaced' NFL Fan Contest

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
logo.gif

Steelers Fan's Lament from the Afterlife Wins DIRECTV's Ultimate 'Displaced' NFL Fan Contest

Nationwide Search Leads to Lexington, Ky., Resident whose 'Fatal' Obsession with Steelers is Celebrated in Original Song and Video; Stands Out Among Thousands of Entries
For The Second Straight Year, DIRECTV's Unique NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) Promotional Campaign Showcases NFL as America's Dominant Pastime

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jan 12, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- A Lexington, Ky., resident with an undying loyalty to the Pittsburgh Steelers, was crowned today as America's Ultimate Displaced Fan by DIRECTV, America's exclusive source for the popular NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) service.
A first-time entrant in DIRECTV's national Ultimate Displaced Fan search, Lexington's Phil Roberts wrote an original song and produced a one-of-a-kind video humorously portraying himself as a zombie lamenting from the afterlife about his death - the result of immense frustration as a Steelers fan residing in rival Cincinnati Bengals territory. The grand prize winning video can be viewed by visiting: http://www.ultimatedisplacedfan.com/videos/. DIRECTV's NFL SUNDAY TICKET lets displaced fans follow their favorite team no matter where they live.​

Roberts, who even submitted a mock obituary to accompany his video submission, was selected from thousands of die-hard NFL fan entries from across the country in this promotion that highlights the uniquely passionate "displaced" NFL fans that maintain steadfast loyalty to their favorite teams, despite residing far away from the team's local market. Roberts' original song blamed his untimely, fictional death on his wife's decision to take away his NFL SUNDAY TICKET, effectively eliminating his access to his beloved Steelers' weekly game broadcasts.
The promotion underscores DIRECTV's exclusive and most popular sports subscription service, NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), which delivers up to 14 games every Sunday during the regular season and caters to the passionate NFL fans living outside the market of their favorite NFL team. Fans competed for this unique national distinction by submitting written essays, pictures and/or video entries to www.ultimatediasplacedfan.com. The entries attempted to illustrate why they should earn the title of America's Ultimate Displaced Fan and a dream prize package, including a trip for two to the Super Bowl in Miami and a host of other once-in-a-lifetime experiences during Super Bowl week.​

"Winning DIRECTV's Ultimate Displaced Fan contest is like a dream come true. I've watched the Super Bowl on TV every year that I can remember. The idea of being there in person still leaves me in shock," said an ecstatic Roberts. "I put about 10 hours into my entry and never expected to win, but I guess my hard work paid off. Thanks to DIRECTV I get the chance to meet one of my favorite Steelers players down in Miami and it will be amazing. And now that I've won, I can return from the afterlife and once again enjoy NFL SUNDAY TICKET on DIRECTV."​

Entries ranged from loyal enthusiasm to fanatical obsession - from a man who converted his entire home, inside and out, into a shrine to his beloved Vikings, to another fan who extended his duty in Iraq to ensure he wouldn't miss seeing his beloved New England Patriots play in the 2004 Super Bowl, this despite his wife's fast approaching delivery date for their first child.
As the Grand Prize winner, Roberts won a trip for two to Miami and tickets to Super Bowl XLIV. While in Miami, Roberts will be treated to an NFL fan's dream week where he'll participate in his own media tour at the Super Bowl media center's famed "radio row" alongside one of his favorite Pittsburgh Steelers players. Roberts will also participate in the nationally televised DIRECTV Celebrity Beach Bowl flag-football game where his teammates will include former NFL stars and Hollywood celebrities. In addition, he will receive a year of complimentary DIRECTV monthly programming, along with the 2010 NFL SUNDAY TICKET service.​

While Roberts set himself apart with his highly creative submission, the following die-hard displaced fans were recognized with "honorable mention" status. Each will receive a DIRECTV system, installation and a year of complimentary DIRECTV programming along with the 2010 NFL SUNDAY TICKET service:
  • Ted Ferreira (Lubbock, Texas) - A Minnesota Vikings fan who's dedicated every detail of the inside and outside of his home to the Vikings, including a customized Vikings John Deere tractor, Vikings themed entry gates, Vikings game room with purple and gold couches and five flat screen televisions, among a host of other Vikings themed home design elements and accessories.
  • Jonathan Kent (Fort Sill, Okla.) - A New England Patriots fan that extended his duty in Iraq, despite his wife's impending delivery date for their first child, in order to watch his beloved Patriots play in the Super Bowl. Kent went as far as throwing a Super Bowl party for his command unit, and when challenged by an unforeseen power outage, traded rare military commodities such as hot water, cases of non-alcoholic beer and cigars to secure a generator from a neighboring unit.
  • Greg Hymes (Keokuk, Iowa) - A Pittsburgh Steelers fan who displayed the ultimate spirit of fan loyalty when he and his wife traveled to Pittsburgh to be married atop Duquesne incline overlooking Heinz Field. Hymes and his bride-to-be, along with their entire wedding party, wore Steelers Jerseys. The following day, the wedding party went to the Steelers home opener against the Tennessee Titans.
  • James Sutherland (Pasadena, Calif.) - A frustrated Seattle Seahawks fan who submitted a slick, well-produced video portraying himself driving through the concrete jungle of downtown Los Angeles while reflecting on his lifelong passion for the Seattle Seahawks and the true meaning of being a "displaced" fan.
  • Reby Sky (Tampa, Fla.) - A New York Giants fan whose life revolves entirely around the Giants during the NFL season. Sky travels from her home in Tampa to every Giants home game throughout the year. Her obsessive love of the Giants was notable enough for MTV to recently feature her on the program, "True Life: I'm a Sports Fanatic." The episode chronicled her travels around the country as she followed the New York Giants. Sky also runs a Giants fan website and dresses up as "Super Girl" at every home game.
About DIRECTV, Inc.
DIRECTV, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTV), world's most popular television service to more than 18.4 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed national cable companies for nine years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.
CT

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.
DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer,
or
Leader Enterprises
Mike Whitmark,​

DIRECTV
2230 E. Imperial Highway , El Segundo, CA 90245
Service provided by Shareholder.com​

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)