Directway is now HughesNET

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Directway is now hughesnet.

Tate said this in the directway install forum---

From what I have found out with the new 7000 that is coming the download speed is suppose to be 1meg with the home plan. It is 700k right now. Not to sure of the date, but if I was in your shoes I would go ahead and get it now. If you want to upgrade after it comes out it is usually like $49 or $99 if you sign another contract "which will give you a new warranty.

I don't know how much research you have done but there are 2 ways you can buy.

1. $599 upfront and monthly $59 for 700k/128k or $69 for 1m/200k with a 15 month warranty.

2. $99 upfront and monthly $99 for 700k/128k or $109 for 1m/200k with a 30 month warranty. This is for 15 months after that it goes to $59 or $69.

If you pay $599 upfront and get the pro plan "$69 per month" you can purchase the extra 15 month warranty for $100 dollars which is well worth it believe me. A service call for Direcway is outrageous if you have to pay for it.

Now the price above does not include the pole. A pole is usually $125 for most company's "It cannot be more, Direcway regulates the price" But like I said earlier you can put your own up it needs to be a 9' X 2" sch40 which make it 2 3/8 OD. It needs to be aleast 6' off the ground "the installer cannot mount it any lower". Also I am not sure were you are located but right now we are pointing to HOR1 which is @ 127 west or G4R which is @ 99 west. It depends on what state you live in.

These are the system req.
# Windows 98SE or higher or Mac OS 10.1 or higher and
# Network capability (10/100 Ethernet pre-equipped

Also the install is only for 1 computer. If you want more than 1 depending on which installation company you get they may be able to set your network up. Our company only does wireless so you may want to check to see what they offer on that end if you want another computer hookup but it will be an additional charge. Don't be surprised if the company does not do additional hookups as some do not.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

James

EDIT: price for pro pack with 99 upfront.

So now that directway is dead, is the new equipment out?

It lists 1 meg for 100 bucks.

Guess its time to do this.

I will never do wireless networking. I am prewired for a homenetwork. But I can not use the VPN on my router with sat net.

Anyone that has more info or ideas please let me know.

The former name was actually Direcway without the letter T. Directway is something completely different.

Also, is it really dead? Isn't it more of a simple name change than the death of a company?

Last edited:
a little high? LMAO The low churn rate is probably because the customer base would have to be desperate and have no other alternative. The serivce is painfully slow and horribly overpriced as well as worthless for VOIP. In a word its a loser.

Yes it is all of the above. But to people who do not want to live in or close to a city, it is the only choice.

vurbano said:
a little high? LMAO The low churn rate is probably because the customer base would have to be desperate and have no other alternative. The serivce is painfully slow and horribly overpriced as well as worthless for VOIP. In a word its a loser.

A loser that supplies networking solutions to some of the biggest businesses in America "Chevron, Dollar Tree, Dunkin Donuts, Cendant Corp (Days INN, Ramada, Super 8, etc.) USA Today, even the AAFES "Army and Air Force Exchange Service and DCMA "Department of Defense" uses Direcway and the list goes on and on and on.

I do admit the speed is slower than cable and some DSL but its not painfull 600k to 700k on the Home Pack and 800k to 1m with the Pro Pack. Most "90%" of people that upgrade form Dial Up have no complants.

A new Name for DirecWAY: HughesNet

On Monday, Hughes Network Systems formally took the wraps off its new brand, HughesNet. The brand will replace DirecWAY, the previous name for its satellite broadband product.

The new HughesNet brand encompasses all broadband solutions and services from Hughes. Products and services include managed network services, digital media, and enhanced broadband offerings for business and government agencies, as well as high-speed satellite Internet access for consumers and small businesses.

"This is the beginning of an exciting new era for Hughes," said Pradman Kaul, chairman and CEO. "The new HughesNet brand underscores our corporate commitment to enable our customers to realize the full potential of broadband solutions and services, utilizing the best of satellite and terrestrial technologies."

This off SKY REPORT today.

Has anyone actually converted to Hughes from Direcway successfully? I can get email at hughes but cannot send or reply with getting access denied. I have been on hold to their worthless support 3 times for 45 to 55 minutes each and got cutoff everytime without getting any info. I have been thru thier suggestions for DNS setup but no success. I get invalid password when trying to connect with Outlook express. Maybe someone here knows whats going on because Hughes CustomerCare doesn't.
By the way, the email and live chatroom give object errors when trying to use them. Which means I have no way to get any support from them, very frustrating.

foxdev said:
Has anyone actually converted to Hughes from Direcway successfully? I can get email at hughes but cannot send or reply with getting access denied. I have been on hold to their worthless support 3 times for 45 to 55 minutes each and got cutoff everytime without getting any info. I have been thru thier suggestions for DNS setup but no success. I get invalid password when trying to connect with Outlook express. Maybe someone here knows whats going on because Hughes CustomerCare doesn't.
By the way, the email and live chatroom give object errors when trying to use them. Which means I have no way to get any support from them, very frustrating.

It is their first week with the change over. Unfortunately you can expect this for the next week or so. They don't have all the bugs worked out just yet.

BTW Eric,

We just switched over to IA6 today so instead of HOR1 or G4R. IA6 is @ 93w.

I'm pretty happy with the new HughesNET. I get 1.25 down, but still painfully slow up, but the CS is much better these days. I'd request a repoint to increase my upload speeds if I didn't get such good d/l.

I have a DW6000, They called to try to up me to the 7000 and extend my contract, which I declined. Wildblue is said to be faster both ways in this spot, so I think I am going to try them next.

As far as the dway e-mail, I've never used mine....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)