Direcway Dish Help Please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ZJ126

Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
NW WA
Hi,

I have been reviewing the SG.US forum ad nauseum (actually until I got a nastygram about overusing bandwith from Wildblue) to try to make my Direcway dish and LNB work for FTA. New to FTA, but willing to educate myself.

I removed the transmitter from the LNB arm and installed the dish on a plumb steel pole (as recommended in forum).
Purchased a Pansat 250SM (maybe not the best choice, but my goal is to keep the costs to a minimum).
Reviewed the forums and found the settings for the LNB (standard, 10750, 22khz off).
Made a list of satellites that I'd like to tune into (97W and 125W at the top of the list). 125 was not programmed into the Pansat, so did so according to the very scant directions in the user manual. Updated firmware from manufacturer's site.
Set the dish using a Brunton survey compass (only tool I have for the job currently).
Did a satellite scan on the Pansat and came up with decent Q from Echo 7, Echo 1, Echo 8, and Nimiq 1. Wasn't looking for any of these. Made sure that I had the strongest TPs programmed according to Ice's list.
Can only seem to get pay channels, which is not the goal here. Am I not pointing the dish correctly? Is it possible that my Direcway LNB is not linear (contrary to what I've read about them)? Is the Pansat not working property and perhaps a poor choice? Is there yet another variable that I am not considering? Any help would be more than welcome.

Might not be aimed well enough at the satellite you are seeking, which one are you trying to begin with? Far as the pay-tv sats, they are much stronger than the linear sats, it is much easier to hit them for a beginner. Are you using the "Scan All" function on the blind-scan, rather than scanning encrypted channels? Most rec have an option to pick ALL, ALL FREE, etc...
Pick a sat with sev channels like G18 at 123, or G19 at 97W , go to dishpointer.com and get the coordinates for your location. The LNBF will need to be skewed properly for each satellite-I think the Dway dishes adjust by skewing the entire dish, just loosen some bolts on the back and twist the dish. I have the white Direcway and thats how it works. Once you get skew and elevation right, pick a transponder on the target sat and start slowly panning east and west with the whole dish on the pole, it takes patience to hit that first linear bird.

edit: Remember you may have to fudge a little bit on the elevation if you don't succeed the first try. The Dway dishes are usually pretty close on their elevation scale though.

Last edited:
Yea, Turbo took one of my answers: set the skew on the back of the dish mount.
The other thought was this: did you use the Magnetic azimuth from one of the pointer sites?
Must use the magnetically corrected azimuth.
Do exactly what Turbo said. :) You should find something.

GeoSatFinder., The List, or many others.

Have patience if you are using the receiver as a meter - after every minor movement wait a few seconds for the receiver to update.

I agree with the advise to use something like G18 at 123 at first. It's a great test bird (I used it with my DW project) and when you do hit it you will get enough to verify that your settings are correct.

Patience is certainly the key - but they are nice little dishes!

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for weighing in. I'll try the patience thing. Might work. I did know about the skew on the dish, but read that it was primarily for fine tuning TPs. I'll pay more attention to that. Will let you know how it goes.

Hi All,

Thanks for weighing in. I'll try the patience thing. Might work. I did know about the skew on the dish, but read that it was primarily for fine tuning TPs. I'll pay more attention to that. Will let you know how it goes.

Actually, the skew on that dish is very important in initial alignment. Make sure you preset it as close as you can to the numbers you get from dishpointer or wherever.

Thanks. MikeinBaja, I read quite a lot of your odyssey when you were setting up your dish, but cannot remember whether you have multiple LNBs or a motor. Can you tell me or provide with the link to the thread to re-read? If I can get this to work (keeping the skew in mind), I was thinking of adding LNBs to the dish, but my husband thinks that a motor may be better. I've seen many photos of multiple LNBs on the Direcway dish. Do you have an opinion on this?

Also, on the Pansat 250, I am having difficulty in programming satellites. I added 125 W (AMC 21) and the TPs, but when I scan for the satellite, the sat is listed at (0,0). Any idea 1) whether this makes a difference or 2) how to program it correctly?

Thanks. MikeinBaja, I read quite a lot of your odyssey when you were setting up your dish, but cannot remember whether you have multiple LNBs or a motor. Can you tell me or provide with the link to the thread to re-read? If I can get this to work (keeping the skew in mind), I was thinking of adding LNBs to the dish, but my husband thinks that a motor may be better. I've seen many photos of multiple LNBs on the Direcway dish. Do you have an opinion on this?

Also, on the Pansat 250, I am having difficulty in programming satellites. I added 125 W (AMC 21) and the TPs, but when I scan for the satellite, the sat is listed at (0,0). Any idea 1) whether this makes a difference or 2) how to program it correctly?

I had just the "stock" LNB (although I'm modifying it now for a project) and it worked really well. No motor either. Here is a link to the original project thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/151457-but-will-work.html

I'm not sure about programming the Pansat (don't have one) but you need to lock in on the sat before anything will scan in. For my $, I'd stick with 123 for now and get that one locked in. That will verify that everything is working OK. Then I'd branch out to other birds, multi-LNB's, etc.

Can anyone else chime in on the Panny programming question?

Thanks for the input. I spent of couple of hours this morning trying to tune in 123. No luck. I know that for 123 there is no LOS issue (soda straw device), but I cannot make it work. I was very patient and made small adjustments. Not sure what else to do. I could order a new LNB, but I'd like to make sure that this one does not work first. You've found that the elevation setting on the direcway is fairly accurate? Any other ideas?

Trying not to whine.

Did you have an active transponder entered in your rec and watching it on the meters while you turned the dish? I'd try 11800V first, then 11805H , those both should be listed on The List here. GO up and down a couple of degrees in elevation just in case the figures are off a little for your site. I know it has taken me that long before on 123 with that direcway dish-the last time I aimed it for 123 I wrote all the info down after I found it, and made mark on the pole and mount too so I'd know for sure. Its a very touchy dish on 123, or mine seems to be.
But gets good signal levels on it, when I find it.

I took my tv/traxis 3500 out in the back yard today, and hooked up to my direcway dish, which was pointed at AMC6 but not being used. Just for grins, I got the coordinates for 123, adjusted the elevation, loosened the mount bolts and twisted the dish around, watching one of the 11800V channels on the TRaxis, Set the skew (41+around here) by twisting the dish and in about 10min I had good video on both V and H channels. There was an extra 10min delay while I killed off the wasp nest that had gotten installed in the feedhorn cover, hehe.
The dish looks funny twisted around so , for the skew, but it works just fine. Of course I have done this sev times, so I'm getting more used to the dway.

Well, that's just plain showing off!

I worked with it for several hours trying to get 123 yesterday and got nothing. I applied all of the info that has been provided and worked VERY patiently on small adjustments. Even fabbed a device that allows me to adjust elevation portions of a degree. Where I thought I should have found the sat, I got 97% level, but no Q.

I did notice there there is some condensation inside of the LNB (shocking...here in NW WA?). Could this be part of the problem?

I appreciate the help/input/feedback. Thanks.

Here are some things you can try. Chances are the equipment is ok and you are overlooking something. These are based on mistakes I've made in the past.

1. Go to the dish set-up pages and list off the option titles and what you have for each setting.
2. Double check all your connections making sure that they are screwing all the way down but not so far down that you break it off.
3. Make sure you're looking at the right pointer for elevation. Many dishes have a line or metal piece to line up (not the center of the screw)
4. Are you skewing the dish in the right direction?
5. Double check that you have a live transponder chosen while you are aiming. If necessary delete all transponders from the satellite except the one you are aiming for so that the box defaults to that one.
6. Try a vertical tp, try a horizontal tp as your strong tp.
7. Are the tv and receiver sitting right next to the dish while you are aiming?

If that lnbf is holding some water-yes it will mess it up. I noticed my direcway dish used to do that, I once found it nearly 1/3 of the way up the front of the feedhorn cover, which is clear. I just took a pin and poked a couple of holes in the lower corners of that plastic cover so it would drain out. I wouldn't think a drop or two would knock out your signal completely though.

ok guys
this is my 1st post but i gotta ask, i know it is a stupid question but if i don't ask i won't know. am i correct assuming the wild blue lnb is linear?
i have access to one and can get it for free, i haven't seen it but is in great condition i am told
tia

The Wild Blue question should probably be in a thread by its self. :)

And those are Ka band, I believe, so not real useful for Ku band FTA.
ALSO, I believe the Wild Blue hardware is quite valuable, so you'd be better off selling it and buying a more suitable dish/LNB.
(perhaps from one of our Gold Sponsor listed above) - ;)

The Wild Blue question has been discussed, and I'm sure a quick search will reveal more useful facts. - :up

ZJ126,
Where are you located? Snohomish here.
Well, that's just plain showing off!

I worked with it for several hours trying to get 123 yesterday and got nothing. I applied all of the info that has been provided and worked VERY patiently on small adjustments. Even fabbed a device that allows me to adjust elevation portions of a degree. Where I thought I should have found the sat, I got 97% level, but no Q.

I did notice there there is some condensation inside of the LNB (shocking...here in NW WA?). Could this be part of the problem?

I appreciate the help/input/feedback. Thanks.

I'm located in northern Skagit near the Whatcom line. Cain Lake area. Still haven't had success tuning in a satellite. I have considered every small detail as avg1joe recommended, have changed cables, etc. No luck. Yesterday, I took a page out of MikeInBaja's book and built a portable tripod out of the original mounting materials. My idea is to move it somewhere else in my yard to figure out if, perhaps, it's a LOS issue after all. Haven't had time to test it yet. Have been busy with other fair weather pursuits, but will get back to this now (maybe in the rain).

I've been looking into satellite meters (birdog (not within budget) or something similar). I've also been considering a DVB-S PC card for use with fastsatfinder. Suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts