Disable PIP?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JerryBob

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Las Cruces, NM
I have a shiny new Hopper/Super Joey setup that I am enjoying very much. The only annoyance I have so far is PIP sticking it's nose in where it is not wanted. If I am recording a program and watching another, when I switch to the program that is being recorded I get a Black Screen. Checking with the available tuners, I see that I now have 3 tuners in use. One on the recording program, one on the program I was watching and a new one assigned with PIP turned on assigned to the program I am recording.
HUH?
The only way I can get back to the program I am recording is to "Swap" the PIP, then "Close PIP".
Bottom line: Is there any way of disabling PIP permanently? It is a nice toy, but not something I ever use.
TIA,
Bob

Not with current software. But I do know what you are talking about. Bothers me to see "whatever watching on pip", when I am the one watching the tv. But it is a minor inconvenience.

Reactions: JerryBob
You can get around it, also, by selecting the pip tuner, start playing a recording back, then bring up the TV activity screen and going to the other pip tuner. That should remove it, and cause it to disappear for awhile. The idea, as described a couple years ago, was that the tuner would stay active in a "pip" mode, although it is poorly worded, for the swap feature and to keep the tuner "warm". There are other things they could do, but they went with this instead.

Something is wrong with your system. It should not behave as you have stated, unless there is more information you have not shared. PIP never rears its head unless the user specifically invokes it. AFAIK from the information you've supplied, your screen should not go black. I would wait a week or so, and if it has not cleared up, call Dish and the troublesome equipment replaced.

Something is wrong with your system. It should not behave as you have stated, unless there is more information you have not shared. PIP never rears its head unless the user specifically invokes it. AFAIK from the information you've supplied, your screen should not go black. I would wait a week or so, and if it has not cleared up, call Dish and the troublesome equipment replaced.
It does. It is by design. A terrible ugly design. It doesn't happen every time, but it is normal. It should be able to change without stress. But again, not always b

Hmmm.....
Well, if this behavior is by design, I'll just have to put up with it. As someone pointed out, it is a minor annoyance, but an inconvenience at best. I just wonder if raising a trouble ticket would help precipitate a software upgrade.
Thanks for all the good advice,
Bob

It does. It is by design. A terrible ugly design. It doesn't happen every time, but it is normal. It should be able to change without stress. But again, not always b
But Chad, I've never encountered this. I think some Hoppers may perhaps to sofware or bug, but certainly not by design and never when I use PIP.

JerryBob, you don't have to put up with it. You can contact DIRT here on the forum and they can help you, most likely get a replacement so PIP will work properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)