Disable WiFi on Hopper with Sling?

rharkins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Kansas City, MO USA
I'm having some stability problems with my HWS/Joey. I have the HWS plugged directly into my home network, but when I looked at my router I noticed that it is also connected via WiFi. Several other posts have mentioned avoiding multiple network paths.

I changed the WiFi to a non-existant SSID, but wondered if there was a clean way to completely disable the WiFi? I'd rather keep the HWS hard-wired since it has always been more reliable than WiFi.

Reactions: TheKrell
On the main network set up screen does it say you are connected by internet wifi?

In settings, go to network set up. Go to broadband, network details and make sure on the top, Network Setup does not say wireless. If it does drop down to Ethernet top and see if that changes how it is connecting to your network.

If you can't get it to simply turn off, your solution is a good or better than any. I don't know about the Hopper but many devices won't even try if there isn't a network to connect to available. Don't change the router password unless you want to change it on all your devices. If it does try to connect it most likely will only try once at each reboot again.

You can't turn it off.

You can change it to an incorrect password on the HWS instead of changing the router password, which will accomplish the same thing.

I missed the part where you changed to a non existent SSID, different process same result.

Because if bridging is enabled and there are two connections if confuses the joeys and causes linking issues. Try it and find out.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
I'd just hook it up to the Ethernet or HIC & not put in the password for my wireless router. It can't connect to my router if it Isn't authorized to("thanks Captain Obvious").

I'm having some stability problems with my HWS/Joey. I have the HWS plugged directly into my home network, but when I looked at my router I noticed that it is also connected via WiFi. Several other posts have mentioned avoiding multiple network paths.

I changed the WiFi to a non-existant SSID, but wondered if there was a clean way to completely disable the WiFi? I'd rather keep the HWS hard-wired since it has always been more reliable than WiFi.

Hey. I'm wondering if you ever found a better solution? Cause guess what....years might of passed, but the hopper 3 still can't turn off the damn WiFi! (It's 2018 now, so it's 4 years after you first wrote it here, but still the same it seems)

Hey. I'm wondering if you ever found a better solution? Cause guess what....years might of passed, but the hopper 3 still can't turn off the damn WiFi! (It's 2018 now, so it's 4 years after you first wrote it here, but still the same it seems)

Setting, internet settings, press info then recall.

When I got my H2 install, 2 HwS and 1 Joey, this was a huge problem. It totally trashed my network due to the presumptuousness and greediness of the boxes AND them grabbing new IPA every couple of seconds. What I did to lose the WiFi's was go in and set it up them use a bad PW and let it fail. Then that's dead and after a while the units reset to "as if never touched" with all entries blank and WiFi off. Although you still get many IPA's handed out per each MAC, two per unit, one for the inactive WiFi, I did Address Reservations for the actual active connections. The other couldn't connect. All done and network confusion all over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)