Disapointed with DISH Network

Arse69

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
As a DISH Network retailer I'm really disapointed with DISH Network. My area is is in the Portland / Auburn Maine DMA. Last year we got locals in HD, all with the exception of FOX in HD. DISH Network had excuse as FOX 23 was broadcasting in Analog only until Feb 17th. I've been comunicating with FOX 23, they are just as mystified as I am why DISH has not lit up FOX 23 in HD. How can they advertise they've got locals in HD, when they dont offer all of them in HD. Its no wonder DISH is loosing subscribers instead of adding on more new ones. I hope that things change at DISH Network.

This has happened with other stations as well. Some have said E* doesn't revisit existing contracts until the old one expires. If the Fox station didn't negotiate for HD carriage at the last contract, maybe that is the holdup. Also if the Fox affiliate is part of a station group, E* negotiates with group management and not the individual station. The 61.5 satellite spot beams are pretty saturated so maybe that is holding things up but I doubt it. Are you entirely sure that the station has a contract for HD carriage with E*?

I've talked with people at FOX 23, they dont understand it.

But is the affiliate part of a station group? E* usually doesn't deal with stations individually that are part of a group. They negotiate for coverage of all stations in that group at one time. I certainly don't know what the issue is but there seems to be one. If someone at the station negotiated with E*, they should be able to call and find out what the problem is.

But is the affiliate part of a station group? E* usually doesn't deal with stations individually that are part of a group. They negotiate for coverage of all stations in that group at one time. I certainly don't know what the issue is but there seems to be one. If someone at the station negotiated with E*, they should be able to call and find out what the problem is.

They have called, no response from DISH!!

A little internet search shed some light. They are not an independently owned station. They are owned by Max Media which has several stations. As I mentioned previously, E*'s practice has been to negotiate with the station group for carriage and not the individual station.

MAX Media Corporate Office

If E* negotiates with Max Media for all its stations they are not likely to return calls from any one of the stations. I know this still doesn't answer the original question of why it hasn't been uplinked by E*, but I'm guessing Max Media is the one that needs to do the calling.

A little internet search shed some light. They are not an independently owned station. They are owned by Max Media which has several stations. As I mentioned previously, E*'s practice has been to negotiate with the station group for carriage and not the individual station.

MAX Media Corporate Office

If E* negotiates with Max Media for all its stations they are not likely to return calls from any one of the stations. I know this still doesn't answer the original question of why it hasn't been uplinked by E*, but I'm guessing Max Media is the one that needs to do the calling.
Like I said::eek:
Maybe they just don't understand.:eek:

Dish would have certainly contacted the Fox station. But, since the Fox station is part of a group of stations, they would not have contacted the local office but the corporate office. There is probably some sort of carriage dispute for the channel going on in the background.

A lot of stations hold the SD contract hostage for the HD signal. I.e. they want a rate increase mid contract on the SD channel in exchange for allowing the HD channel to appear. So, Dish has a choice, just keep carrying the SD channel at the contracted rate until the end of the contract or pay up to get the HD channel.

Dish would have certainly contacted the Fox station. But, since the Fox station is part of a group of stations, they would not have contacted the local office but the corporate office. There is probably some sort of carriage dispute for the channel going on in the background.

A lot of stations hold the SD contract hostage for the HD signal. I.e. they want a rate increase mid contract on the SD channel in exchange for allowing the HD channel to appear. So, Dish has a choice, just keep carrying the SD channel at the contracted rate until the end of the contract or pay up to get the HD channel.

I just talked to the Fox Engineer for our local FOX. He's been calling DISH Network
talking with people at Cheyenne uplink. He can not get a answer, hes kind of pissed that his FOX is not in HD. They've sicked their lawyer onto DISH, its supposed to be in HD

Did you read the posts above? It does NOT come from the local station nor do they call the local station. Lawyers? For what? LOL

Did you read the posts above? It does NOT come from the local station nor do they call the local station. Lawyers? For what? LOL

I've contacted Max Media, the President of Max Media emailed back. He told me he did not know why either. He gave me the phone# of General Manager of FOX 23. DISH is dragging their butt with this.
FOX 23 wants their signal up on DISH in HD, They've gottone lots of phone calls and emails from DISH subscribers.

I've contacted Max Media, the President of Max Media emailed back. He told me he did not know why either. He gave me the phone# of General Manager of FOX 23. DISH is dragging their butt with this.
FOX 23 wants their signal up on DISH in HD, They've gottone lots of phone calls and emails from DISH subscribers.

Not really, it's only been a month. It takes more than you think to get an HD local channel up on the satellite than you think.

Not really, it's only been a month. It takes more than you think to get an HD local channel up on the satellite than you think.

They were ready for digital transition on Feb 17th, Directv was ready. What could be DISH Networks excuse?

Fox 23 has only one channel, DISH Network uplink in Cheyenne has got that HD signal and is downgrading it to standard digital.

They were ready for digital transition on Feb 17th, Directv was ready. What could be DISH Networks excuse?

It works both ways some folks will have their locals with in HD with Dish some will have it with Direct. Sometimes Dish will have some locals in HD that Direct does not it all depends on your local stations and how they deal with all tv providers. Some get things done quicker than other it vary from state to state nothing new here.

It works both ways some folks will have their locals with in HD with Dish some will have it with Direct. Sometimes Dish will have some locals in HD that Direct does not it all depends on your local stations and how they deal with all tv providers. Some get things done quicker than other it vary from state to state nothing new here.

In our dma Directvs got all the locals in HD

Fox 23 has only one channel, DISH Networks in Cheyenne has got that HD signal and is downgrading it to standard digital.

Not necessarily. The POP in your area might only have the SD feed of it and backhauling it to the uplink center. And due to the design of the 61.5 spotbeams it is not uplinked in Cheyenne.

You've have quite a bit to learn about how a local channel SD or HD is brought from your DMA and back down to your dish and what also needs to be in place before you can start complaining that nothing is being done. At least on the brightside you have most of your market in HD... try Indianapolis's DMA ;)

Not necessarily. The POP in your area might only have the SD feed of it and backhauling it to the uplink center. And due to the design of the 61.5 spotbeams it is not uplinked in Cheyenne.

You've have quite a bit to learn about how a local channel SD or HD is brought from your DMA and back down to your dish and what also needs to be in place before you can start complaining that nothing is being done. At least on the brightside you have most of your market in HD... try Indianapolis's DMA ;)

All I can say is that we've had HD locals with FOX missing for almost a year. If DISH had its sh*t together, we would have had FOX in HD the day after FOX 23 flipped to a all digital signal on Feb 17th.
Before focusing on new markets, why not complete the the existing ones if possible?

722 - audio bug on some HD channels

New HD or locals today?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)