Disappointed in what I saw at Fry's (HD-DVD)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ammer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
So I run down to the local Fry's store to check out the new HD-DVD player and WOW was I disappointed. I'm guessing Fry's was disappointed too because they leave the display its connected to, on a demo feed instead of the HD-DVD player.

I get the salesman to put in a DVD and he grabs TLS. As soon as the piracy screen comes up I can tell that the fonts are not as sharp as they should be. Then the WB title comes up and I'm thinking, ok this looks like good HD. Then the heartbreak starts. As I watch the previews at the beginning and the first 5 minutes of the film i had one though. Blu-Ray better look better than this or neither format is going to do JACK! and I'm not talking Bauer.

Where the HELL is the HD? You know. The kind that looks as good as something off of HDNET?

The salesman I was with was not excited at all. He actually showed me a up converting $67 dollar DVD player that looked about the same......

Long story short. I took my $400 dollars and left.

I believe your opionion is in the minority. How was the player hooked up? What was the resoultion setting? There are some factors at work here. I have one and the picture is great and the upconverting is amazing. TLS DVD? Do you mean TLS HD DVD?

They had it hooked to a Mitsubishi 1080p 60" TV Via HDMI and it was the HD-DVD.

I made sure the TV was set to 1080i and the player was set to 1080i. Also checked to make sure that no picture conversion was happening. Its was set to its max setting of 16x9

Fry's or not. It was all setup correctly.

was it the HD-DVD?

you said you told the guy to grab a DVD in your original post

Are movies that are transfermed from film look as good as those things that are recorded with HD equipment/cameras, such as live sporting events and things on Discovery HD, etc.? Thanks.

theratpatrol said:
Are movies that are transfermed from film look as good as those things that are recorded with HD equipment/cameras, such as live sporting events and things on Discovery HD, etc.? Thanks.

It depends which camera they use, but most films in the past 15 years look pretty decent for HD content. Sure, you can probably tell the difference but it looks good enough where you won't care if it wasn't digital from the start.

theratpatrol said:

The resolutioin of film exceeds that of HD...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts