Disappointed with DISH - DIRT Team help???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MJL Atlanta

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I have been a loyal DISH customer for 10 years. I have been very low maintenance, getting almost nothing from them since my original new-customer discounts expired many years ago. I have 2 VIP 722 receivers hooked up to 3 TVs. My bill has steadily climbed to about $135/month (Top 200, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Blockbuster at Home). I have been happy with DISH but want to upgrade to a whole home DVR service and lower my monthly bill. I spent about an hour on the phone with Directv yesterday to get an understanding of what they can offer me. From Directv, I would get a Genie HR44, HR24 HD DVR receiver, and one Genie mini. I would have to pay $199 for the HR24. As a new customer, I would get their Xtra package for $34.99 for 12 months (goes up $26 after that). DVR/receiver fees would be $27 for 24 months. All premium channels would be free for 3 months plus I would get NFL ticket free for 2013 season. I could also get either the $10/month referral discount (for 10 months) or a $200 Costco gift card if I went that route. Sounded good but I wanted to give DISH an opportunity to keep my business. I just got off the phone with a representative in their retention/loyalty department. They offered to provide the equipment (1 Hopper with Sling, 1 Hopper, and 1 Joey) for free and not charge a technician fee for installation. However, they would not give me any discounts on my programming, other than 50% off premium channels for 6 moths. Without the discounts, my bill will actually go up by $12/month. I mentioned all the new customer deals they have and if I could get some of those. They firmly said no, even after I said what they were offering would not be enough to keep me. So I guess they have forced my hand and it is time to give Directv a try. I am disappointed because I like to be loyal and i have enjoyed DISH, but they don't seem to value me as a long time customer. And even more frustrating is that after I switch, they will probably start calling with better offers and it will be too late. If a DIRT team member thinks they can help me, I would appreciate it. If any of you experts out there have any suggestions for me, I would welcome those too. Sorry this is so long. Thanks for all the great info on this site.

Switch,

but free equipment upgrade/install and half off premiums sounds like they made a good attempt to keep you. The system is set up as such that switching providers every 2 yrs is really the only way to get the programming discounts some people want.

I have been a loyal DISH customer for 10 years. I have been very low maintenance, getting almost nothing from them since my original new-customer discounts expired many years ago. I have 2 VIP 722 receivers hooked up to 3 TVs. My bill has steadily climbed to about $135/month (Top 200, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Blockbuster at Home). I have been happy with DISH but want to upgrade to a whole home DVR service and lower my monthly bill. I spent about an hour on the phone with Directv yesterday to get an understanding of what they can offer me. From Directv, I would get a Genie HR44, HR24 HD DVR receiver, and one Genie mini. I would have to pay $199 for the HR24. As a new customer, I would get their Xtra package for $34.99 for 12 months (goes up $26 after that). DVR/receiver fees would be $27 for 24 months. All premium channels would be free for 3 months plus I would get NFL ticket free for 2013 season. I could also get either the $10/month referral discount (for 10 months) or a $200 Costco gift card if I went that route. Sounded good but I wanted to give DISH an opportunity to keep my business. I just got off the phone with a representative in their retention/loyalty department. They offered to provide the equipment (1 Hopper with Sling, 1 Hopper, and 1 Joey) for free and not charge a technician fee for installation. However, they would not give me any discounts on my programming, other than 50% off premium channels for 6 moths. Without the discounts, my bill will actually go up by $12/month. I mentioned all the new customer deals they have and if I could get some of those. They firmly said no, even after I said what they were offering would not be enough to keep me. So I guess they have forced my hand and it is time to give Directv a try. I am disappointed because I like to be loyal and i have enjoyed DISH, but they don't seem to value me as a long time customer. And even more frustrating is that after I switch, they will probably start calling with better offers and it will be too late. If a DIRT team member thinks they can help me, I would appreciate it. If any of you experts out there have any suggestions for me, I would welcome those too. Sorry this is so long. Thanks for all the great info on this site.
Go to top of page select FORUMS then go to the bottom of that page and look for DIRT members in red. Send them a private message and they will need your account number or phone number. DIRT will offer what they are allowed to do to keep you as a customer. But it sounds like Directv wants you more than DISH does so enjoy your next 2 years with Directv.

Both services approach retention in similar ways. So switching is the only way to get significant discounts on the base programming packages. Dish is currently doing 1/2 off for 6 months for the premiums, BB@Home and Multi-Sports pack, and it appears you could benefit from that.

D*'s approach is similar, they will knock off something on a Premier sub which is usually about $20-25/month for 6 months, but are more disinclined to do much with other package discounts for existing customers. They will do discounts on the premiums at times, similar to what Dish does.

But for real significant discounts you have to switch providers.

They offered you a reasonable deal, especially with the equipment (Hopper WITH Sling) and install, IMO. Many folks here forked out $100.00 for a Hopper w/ Sling.

Satellite TV users have to be some of the cheapest people around. What part about special for new customers only don't you understand? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I guess that would include you then with the broad brush you paint with ... LOL.

Sat TV is pretty damn expensive. My first house payment was $94/month! Decent house as well ... 1953 of course.

Switch. You're not a new customer, and from what you posted that's maybe better than others get to stay with Dish. Same will happen couple years down the road with Direct TV, and you can switch again. Your bill is going up because you are keeping the programming you have, and for $12 a month getting brand new equipment, that includes HD in each room, ability to watch a program in any room, PTAT, commercial skip,etc.. If that isn't worth it, maybe no need to upgrade?

I will suggest to you the discounts current subscribers may get, especially long time ones (Of which I am right up there with longest years) you gave up. Aside from continuous discounts on premiums, I have asked for and received other various discounts, sometimes without even asking, sometimes given to me for a year including getting a 118 satellite installed and a year promotion to get programming there I wanted, and numerous free PPV coupons etc. That isn't a discount on packages per se, though when there is a dispute they will often readily give a 6 month discount on your current package. Many actually did well during the AMC dispute.

Last edited:
You gave Dish a chance, told them what Directv is offering you and they won't budge.

The choice is obvious since dish no longer values your business.
Psssssssttttttt. The sound of Troll be Gone spray

Satellite TV users have to be some of the cheapest people around. What part about special for new customers only don't you understand? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I hope you continue to happily pay full price for many yrs to come. You deserve it & are exactly the kind of customer dish wants.

Hope you don't have anything on either your internal or external hd's that you want to watch. Close the account and the recordings will not be viewable again. Even if you come back to Dish.

I hope you continue to happily pay full price for many yrs to come. You deserve it & are exactly the kind of customer dish wants.
Tell us...what has been your "switch" history over the last ten years or so?

Tell us...what has been your "switch" history over the last ten years or so?

No offense, but it isn't anyone's business except mine. I'm a minimalist if that counts for anything.

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 268
Like others have said, the deal offered isn't bad at all. You may be able to ask specifically or a $5 of $10 a month discount for 6 or 12 months, but that'd probably be the most one could get. As always DIRT is the best avenue to see what you can do deal wise.
You gave Dish a chance, told them what Directv is offering you and they won't budge.

The choice is obvious since dish no longer values your business.
But Directv employs an HDTV of questionable morals to do their marketing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts