Discovery concerning ViP receivers mixed with H/J

WheelieMan711

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I have found some interesting information as to partially why Dish does not allow a mixed ViP and H/J setup. Though this is not something that I would need, I still find it very interesting and thought I would share it. The information I found, however, still does not tell the entire story.

Non-ViP.jpg

The first image is a diagram from a video from the training portion of the Dish Tech Portal. The image just states not to allow non-H/J receivers after the node. Since the node is built specifically to allow communication between a Hopper and a Joey (or even a HIC) it would not be the correct signal for one of their existing receivers. In fact, the narrator in the video states "Do not install any non-whole-home-DVR components after the node. Other components such as ViP receivers will not be able to receive signal from the node."

From this, it appears that there is a technical reason that they cannot be on the same coax network since I assume the MOCA signals could cause other receivers not to receive the signal properly from the satellite. Even though this is true, there is still a possible way for ViP receivers to coexist. It just requires a different switch between the satellite dish and the solo or duo node as you can see from the second picture I have attached. Maybe they do not want to have both types of receivers for the extra work it would require(?).

ViP option.jpg

This picture also seems to indicate that there should be an option available for customers to use ViP receivers if they have a tailgater. I do not know what implications this would have for the consumer. It is still possible that they could require a second account for a person to do so, but it could also be that they have other plans that we are not yet aware of. I find it very interesting that they would include in their installation instructions the option for a ViP receiver.

If the mods don't mind me posting the link, here is where I found this information: https://rweb.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/rtp.shtml
Just go to the weekly training section and click on the link for the week of 02/27.

The 2nd diagram shows that it IS possible to have a mixed setup. Dish might be promoting a non-mixed setup just for technical reasons... Say, the average consumer might try to move receivers around within a house and then when it doesn't work, that's a frustrated customer because most probably don't understand what switches, nodes, and MoCA's are and where they need to be between the receiver and dish.

You've got to realize there are people out there who aren't uber-smart like us! :)

I've said this before in other threads, i will say it again here.

You need to step back and look at this from Dish's perspective . They will have to support this across thousands, followed by tens of thousands, and potentially into the millions of sites. Everything they can do to simplify the installation means more reliability and less issues with supportability.

It may not be what we like, but there are valid reasons for them to take this approach. we are all welcome to vote with our wallets on this .

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

The DISH computer system will not allow you to activate a Hopper / Joey if you already have ViP equipment on your account. In order to add the Hopper and Joey you need to remove all the ViP equipment off your account first... (and no it does not let you add the ViP stuff back in later.)

The DISH computer system will not allow you to activate a Hopper / Joey if you already have ViP equipment on your account. In order to add the Hopper and Joey you need to remove all the ViP equipment off your account first... (and no it does not let you add the ViP stuff back in later.)
wow, that's pretty ironclad without any way to circumvent.

And that right there is the nail in the coffin (besides the fee for the first joey). Was thinking about leaving our current system in place for the 211k and dp301, and then installing a separate system for the hopper+joey to replace the 722.

hhhmmmmm......

I would love thehopper Joey but I have a tailgater And can not pay for 2 accounts. I think it is crazy for dish to think that I want to accounts when now I cut the 211 on and off for caming season.

Perhaps they will allow a reduced cost second account, or relent on allowing a single ViP on a Hopper account. No sense getting worked up until at least another week or two passes.

I would love thehopper Joey but I have a tailgater And can not pay for 2 accounts. I think it is crazy for dish to think that I want to accounts when now I cut the 211 on and off for caming season.

Ya it's too bad DISH can't intergrate the 211k into the Hopper System because they could kill two birds with one stone,211k has DVR software support,211k has both 1 SAT+1OTA tuners.Actually looks like 3 birds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)