Discovery HD Planet Earth Broadcast Schedule?

Joewee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Does anyone know when they are going to broadcast this series again? I had it archived on my 622 waiting for the External hard drive support but unfortunately a few months ago my 622 crashed and I had to erase the hard drive. I would really like to record this again and back it up to my hard drive.
Thanks!:)

Might be time to invest in an HD DVD or Blu-ray player. The good news is, there won't be all that pixellation.

Might be time to invest in an HD DVD or Blu-ray player. The good news is, there won't be all that pixellation.

Sure, I love to do that. But, what if I pick the wrong format? I've now purchased the player and the series.

I'll end up stuck with the player till it dies.

I might be willing to spring for a $200 player (and rent movies), but I'm not going to risk buying discs.

Actually, I have been thinking about doing that since I already have the xbox360. Is there really that big of a difference between the HD DVD and broadcast HD? I don't see much of a difference between the Dish ABC/NBC/CBS broadcast to that of my local affiliate when I fire the OTA antenna up. Unless the local station is also broadcasting OTA compression.

Actually, I have been thinking about doing that since I already have the xbox360. Is there really that big of a difference between the HD DVD and broadcast HD? I don't see much of a difference between the Dish ABC/NBC/CBS broadcast to that of my local affiliate when I fire the OTA antenna up. Unless the local station is also broadcasting OTA compression.

HD DVD and Blu-Ray have much higher bandwidth than OTA and are 1080p.

I bought Planet Earth on HD-DVD. It looks and sounds phenomenal. It's not cheap though. Best Buy sells the set for $99. I got it from Amazon for ~$60.

I've got a 360 with the HD-DVD add-on. If you've got a 360 already, that'll fit in your $200 price range.

If not, you pick up the $200 Venturer SHD7000 this Christmas.

Yep. High def discs can produce the highest PQ, if done right. FTTH is probably next. OTA has very good PQ, better than satellite or cable. Both satellite and cable could probably produce PQ rivaling or even exceeding OTA, but the cost in bandwidth pretty well prevents that. And IPTV is a mixed bag. While it "could" be great PQ, time and bandwidth will always put pressure on IPTV to cut corners and reduce PQ to "acceptable." This may all change when Fiber To The Brain gets implemented. :rolleyes:

I bought the blue-ray version of the "planet earth" and watch it on PS3. The visuals are truly stunning.

You can get a PS3 (plus 8 free blue-ray DVD movies) from Amazon for $499.00. The PS3 is well worth the price. You are not only getting a game console, but also a high definition DVD player.

the low-end Toshiba HD-DVD player can be purchased from Amazon for less than $250. You don't get 1080p output from it, but my TV can't display 1080p either, so I expect to be picking one of this up in about a month (what are birthdays for, after all?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)