Discovery Map-Down

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
The map-down feature on the several channels is an interesting feature. With ESPN, ESPN2, TNT and several others it does make sense but..

Why Discovery? The Discovery Channel is not the same as Discovery HD Theater. Why do they map-down this one? To me, it would make more sense to just map-down HD versions of just their exact SD counterparts and have an easy to find setting to do just this for those who perfer such an option.

HBO, Cinemax, A&E (not that it matters here much), NFL, Food, NGEO and locals in HD (where available) makes sense as they are exactly the same channels but it should not be happening when the channels are not the same.

Just my opinion. What do you all think?

food is not always true sometimes they show different things, also i think HGTV (?) does the same thing. I think they did everything no matter what it showed, and to be honest ive found myself watching a lot my HD sense they have done it. Its more of a convinces thing then anything else. This way you dont have to go into the 9000s to find your hd show you can see it right there.

Actually it makes sense when they are not the same programing so you can pick the one that is showing what you want to watch or record.
(personal preference is to NOT map down & use the 94xx channels for HD)

be selective

I only allowed the nets that I wanted to mapdown. This way I have both Discovery & Discovery HD theater. What may happen this fall is the 2 will become 1.

Sometime they do have the same show and mapdown makes it easier to see the the program is also in HD.

I rarely bother with the non-HD versions, so like whatchel1, I mapped down the local networks only.

I agree that it is convenient to have DiscHD, FoodHD, HGTVHD, etc mapped down, but these really should NOT be considered 'mapdown' channels. E* should probably abandon the 9000's down into the 3 digits at some point (even though we're used to the 9400s), especially when more and more SD channels have simulcasts, and we're used to finding our HD channels in the 3 digit range. I very much doubt we'll see E* continue to add HD channels into the 9000 range...but i guess they could do both indefinitely...

Love the mapdown - even for Disc, Food, HGTV - where the schedule is different.

My wife is watching much more of the Food/HGTV HD, because, for her, it's "easier to find". She tends to use the direct channel number entry & always forgot about the 9000 series for HD. When you want SD, just channel down.

I think this is an example of something E* got right.

Love the mapdown - even for Disc, Food, HGTV - where the schedule is different.

My wife is watching much more of the Food/HGTV HD, because, for her, it's "easier to find". She tends to use the direct channel number entry & always forgot about the 9000 series for HD. When you want SD, just channel down.

I think this is an example of something E* got right.

Same here! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts