Discovery to Launch 6 New HD Channels

AWESOME! Discovery HD theatre is one of the HD channels I watch the most anyways. Lost of good shows on the discovery lineup. Can't wait!

http://www.tvpredictions.com/discovery050707.htm

News
Discovery to Launch 6 New HD Channels
The new channels are expected this fall and early next year.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (May 7, 2007) -- Discovery, which launched Discovery HD Theater five years ago next month, plans to launch four new High-Definition TV network this fall.

That's according to an article in Adweek Magazine. (This was also predicted here last month at TVPredictions.com.)

Discovery tells the publication that it will launch high-def simulcasts of Animal Planet, TLC, The Science Channel and the company's main network, Discovery Channel.

Then, in the first quarter of 2008, Discovery says it will add two more high-def channels.

Animal Planet is going high-def.

"Having established first-mover advantage in the HD space with Discovery HD Theater, this is a step toward growing that leadership," Discovery president and CEO David Zaslav told the publication.

There was no word on which TV providers would carry the additional high-def channels. But DIRECTV is a good bet with the satcaster saying it will offer 100 national HD channels by year's end.

He added that the HD channels will also be available in Discovery's international markets.

With the addition of a Discovery Channel HD simulcast, Zaslav says it will become the company's high-def flagship.

He adds that the time is right for more high-def channels with HDTVs now in 30 million U.S. homes.

"We have to drive ourselves toward really becoming a new-media company with all that entails rather than just sitting back and continuing on as a traditional cable company," he says. "HD is the new analog tier."

John Hendricks, Discovery's founder and chairman, agrees, saying he pushed for a documentary to be produced in high-def years ago when few others took notice.

"I insisted that it was to be done in High-Definition, and back then it was a hugely daunting proposition," Hendricks tells Adweek. "Beyond the expense, we couldn't even say for certain that the cameras would work out in the field given the temperature extremes. At the time, no media company could have undertaken a project of this magnitude on its own."

I wonder if Discovery HD theater will merge with Discovery main network. It seems to me that it will make more sense for this to be so.

Discovery Network announced a couple of years ago that they intend to film almost everything in HD-compatible resolutions/formats for this eventuality. Most shows on TLC, Discovery, and so on have been widescreen for quite some time.

I wonder if Discovery HD theater will merge with Discovery main network. It seems to me that it will make more sense for this to be so.
Yeah, I would expect Discovery HD Theater to simply be swapped out for a HD Simulcast of The Discovery Channel.

It was good while it lasted.

Yeah, I would expect Discovery HD Theater to simply be swapped out for a HD Simulcast of The Discovery Channel.

It was good while it lasted.

:( so much for limited commercial interruption. I guess you had to know that wouldn't last forever.

Sooo...what is E*'s relationship with Discovery network like? What are the odds E* will carry any of these?

I've noticed more and more commercials on Discovery HD in the 3+ years I've had it. I swear it used to have (1) commercial break. In fact, the typical shows only lasted ~45 minutes because they were in fact edited down to fix a one-hour slot with commercials. After the show, Discovery HD had filler spots, often a 5-10 minute mini-documentary or similar but I don't see those as much, if at all, nowadays.

Actually, D* normally claims to have the capacity for 100 HD channels by year's end. Few of these channels will actually be available by then. With 2 new E* satellites going up this year (supposedly), E* will likely carry pretty much the same number of HD channels, if not more. D* may pay to be the exclusive launch customer on some of these, but E* will likely get them 2-3 months later.

Plus the fact they have yet to launch a sat. Currently, D* is pretty much maxed out and if something was to happen with their june launch, they'll still be maxed out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)