DiscoveryHD Artifacts on Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Over the last two days Ive noticed 1/2 green screens and isolated mpeg2 compression artifacts on DiscoveryHD. HDlite is bad enough but this is making the shows worthless for recording. The is the exact same thing I saw with Voom when they hit their bandwidth ceiling. Just how bad a picture will we tolerate?:mad:

Are you sure D* is causing the problem? How do you know for sure D* is hitting their BW limits? Does anyone else see the same problem at the same time as you? A 1/2 green screen does not sound typical of running out of compression BW. Was it happening during extreme motion scenes? I have viewed the same channel on and off over the last few days and have not noticed anything unusual.
Rick

Dish Jockey said:
Are you sure D* is causing the problem? How do you know for sure D* is hitting their BW limits? Does anyone else see the same problem at the same time as you? A 1/2 green screen does not sound typical of running out of compression BW. Was it happening during extreme motion scenes? I have viewed the same channel on and off over the last few days and have not noticed anything unusual.
Rick

I have viewed several different programs on Discovery HD over the weekend and have not seen any problem in the video, during the shows I viewed. PQ was the same as always.

My PC is extracting the video as I type this. Ill post some screen shots later after work.

Dish Jockey said:
Are you sure D* is causing the problem?

Pretty sure. My readings for signal are 90-95

Dish Jockey said:
How do you know for sure D* is hitting their BW limits?
Youre joking right? They hit it a long time ago. Most of their movies easily fit on a standard 8.5 GB dual layer DVD:rolleyes:

Dish Jockey said:
Does anyone else see the same problem at the same time as you? A 1/2 green screen does not sound typical of running out of compression BW.
usually its just an isolated spot on the picture a couple of times and one or 2 1/2 green screens. It occurs ID guess about 3 times an hour during a show. Typical signs of Mpeg2 over compression. Ask any Ex voomer. Weve seen what happens when there's not enough bandwidth.

Dish Jockey said:
Was it happening during extreme motion scenes? I have viewed the same channel on and off over the last few days and have not noticed anything unusual.
Rick

Doesnt have to be DiscoveryHD that is in extreme motion scenes. It can be other channels sharing the same transponder that are in fast motion.

Last edited:
Here is some macro blocking occuring just in the area of the hand clapping during AM chopper.

Attachments

• American Chopper-N.Y. Yankees Bike 2.ty (02).bmp
    385.7 KB · Views: 192
nope. signals from 90-98, no rain, Id say 98% of the video is perfect for being HDLITE. Notice how the macroblocking only occurs in the areas of motion. Also this is the only channel Ive noticed it on, that rules out bad connections. Look closely at the wall between Paul Jr's hands and where is Grandma moved her head from. Its perfect. Video connections and bad signal do not leave motionless sections perfect and macroblock just where there is movement. That macro blocking is the result of a lack of bandwidth to handle the changing pixels in those areas of the picture.

Last edited:
Still clean pictures here on my H10 and my HTL-HD. I checked it out on fast motion shots and still clean on all of them.

lou_do said:
Still clean pictures here on my H10 and my HTL-HD. I checked it out on fast motion shots and still clean on all of them.

Clean pictures here too. Havent noticed anymore problems. Unless you have the exact same program recorded at the exact same time you cannot make a comparison. The other channel on the transponder with DiscoveryHD is NBCwest, those would be the two to keep an eye on.
http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html

Last edited:
I get them occasionaly on my H10... could this be a hardware and not a signal issue?

About three days ago I was having problems with FNC again. Last time I had problems (when they did whatever it was that caused the problem for the people in mexico, etc) was when they were shuffling things around / satellites around. It has since stopped happening.

vurbano said:
Here is some macro blocking occuring just in the area of the hand clapping during AM chopper.

i've had that happen from time to time, and it normaly happens when i have high wind and i think it shaking the dish a lil or a tree branch gets blown in the sight line

No artifact issues here, but the audio/video syncing issues drive me up the wall!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts