Discussion: Who is Interested in a C-band or Large Dish Purchase? Build and Cost?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Just sharing some thoughts and questions and hope to start a discussion about availability and purchasing a new large satellite dish. How many times over the years have I heard members lament, "If only there was a quality dish at a fair price I would jump on it in a heart beat" or "Why don't satellite resellers carry a quality (mesh) or consumer targeted dish?"

Been carefully watching Mike Kohl's KTI Dishes for Sale thread and must say that the underwhelming response of buyers not lining-up for a high quality consumer mesh dish at far below cost is making me rethink an investment in stocking affordable and quality C-band dishes. Mike has also suggested that if this is an indication of the interest in mesh dishes that he is reconsidering the dish manufacturing project. The delivered cost of this 10' KTI dish is lower than any similar dish that I have seen in the past 15-20 years. The deal is here, so why isn't anyone buying? Let's start a dialog. Answer or add your own questions to this thread.

Is nobody interested in a quality mesh dish? Are folks now only interested in buying cheap panels or light weight mesh builds? Is there an interest in higher quality or different construction builds? Does the market no longer exist for a quality consumer mesh dish? How much is too much? How much is an average hobbyist willing to spend on a new large dish (including shipping)?

In my case, I can get just about any used dish I want for nearly free, or very cheap. Installed right now, I have a 1 meter Prodelin, (free) a 1.8 meter Prodelin, ($50) and a 10ft Perfect Ten ($100). In reserve I have: two 10ft Winegard Pinnacles, ($120~ but came with a Ajak H180, and many other stuff) quite a few various Primestar dishes, and some various other dishes.

I just don't see a market for brand new C-band dishes. At least not one that'll ever cover it's costs.

Then again, since we all know where prices of subscription tv is headed, media EDUCATION and attention that these dishes are still a valid way to receive tv, AND are available at a price that can pay back versus sub tv might just bring back a market for them.

I saw the same response Brian. I really wanted a 10 footer and anxiously waited for Mike Kohl to resurrect the SAMI but saw health and other problems caused issues for him. I actually ended up buying a commercial DH spun aluminum dish new for an eye popping and wife hating price. I replaced a Sadoun 8 foot dish and the quality of that was pretty poor. Crappy panels and a mount that rusted bad in less than a year. I just don't see how at the hobbiest price point a new c-band dish would be a good business case. Shipping alone doubles most dish costs!

On demand, pay per view, Internet video is the future... like Roku or AppleTV but those are Model Ts for now.

===
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I live there is no market. I'm surrounded by free quality dishes for the taking. I'm storing them now. It is a great deal considering the overall cost of installing a c-band dish. If I lived in the "Rust Belt" I would like having a new condition unit for sure. But there are 40's & 50's era cars in farmers fields with little rust and C-Band dishes don't rust here either. But if somebody isn't a FTAer and doesn't care for the hobby, just wants a dish, there are very few consumer options. Oddly enough the hobby crowd may not be the best retail market.

Do to my current economic situation I am not in the market for a dish at any price at the moment, but hopefully that will change in time.

When it does I would love to have a new 8ft mesh dish (would prefer a 10ft but that would never be possible at my current location) and there are no dishes available in my area. I am probably in the minority opinion here but the 8ft meshes on ebay a few months ago appear to be exactly what I would want as far as weight and price. If I felt comfortable it would last 5-7 years I would rather have a lighter weight dish. It would just be much easier to setup and adjust. The big question in my mind would be the durability and then I think of the large ota antenna I have and say it’s light weight and has already lasted over 3yrs and looks to still be in good shape. I would prefer something at least partially made in the USA if possible and would pay a little more for it than a comparable dish that wasn’t.

Just my $.02 since you asked.

I'd like to buy a new 12 footer to replace my 12 foot paraclipse but I've been reluctant to buy because factory made replacement panels are hard to come by. If factory made parts were available for my Paraclipse I'd restore it. As for my KTI 12 footer, I have some hail damage on it but I can't get panels for it either. And I don't want to cut my own panels - even this is expensive to do. I can't be spending $2000 for a complete antenna after every hail storm. Because of all the hail storms, I can't get the same insurance coverage that I once had, also. So, it's a matter of economics for me. I did consider buying one of Mike's 10 footer closeouts but I found out too late about it. There are unused antennas in my area but all of them have some hail damage so I don't even spend the time and money to get them - and most of them are 6 or 8 footers. And, of course, we can't get DCII programming anymore except from HITS (which is a crummy service). So, I guess we'll eventually be forced into the pizza dish services when the BUD supplies run out or are no longer available. I really like the video and audio quality of the BUD, though.

The following is of course,just my opinion.
I think,on the whole,we are a cheap lot here,I know I am :D,we're also scroungers and do it yourselfers.While it might be nice to have a brand new shiny 10' whatever,we can't justify the cost when there are still many,previously enjoyed,dishes out there for the finding,free or cheap.
In my case,except for my DISH dish,I have never paid for a dish.
As this is considered a "hobby" and not one you're likely to ever recoup you're investment from,cost is a prime factor.
We're also not your typical tv viewer.We can live without "My MTV" while the m asses can not.;)

If the economy was in better shape, I wouldn't mind having one of those "found" dishes, even though I have 3 good 7.5' or bigger dishes in use already. It'd be nice to store one in case of storm damage. Since I try to maintain my dishes well, and so far have been lucky with no major weather damage, the dishes I have still are in excellent shape. They may outlast me, lol. I am surprised there isn't more interest in new dishes. The biggest part of the puzzle possibly is the same one that doomed c-band years back-it's easier to push the remote on the pay-tv dish system, most people want "easy" rather than choice and quality. The pizza dish industry capitolized on that, the rest is of course, history. I'd love to still be able to buy programming from a c-band provider and use my own equipment.

Discussion: Who is Interested in a C-band or Large Dish Purchase? Build and C...

Mike announced on Wednesday's radio show and posted on the thread that he extended the sale through this weekend... The KTIs are still available, 10 days and counting.

Any takers?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Wait, where? I thought he posted in his thread last week and said the sale was ending last Friday, 5/16.

I don't listen to radio.

His page still says: THIS IS FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED. DO NOT WAIT! ANY ANTENNAS NOT SOLD BY FRIDAY EVENING MAY 16 WILL BE OFFERED TO SOMEONE READY AND WILLING TO SHIP THEM OUT OF THE COUNTRY. YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOSE! THIS IS FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED. DO NOT WAIT! ANY ANTENNAS NOT SOLD BY FRIDAY EVENING MAY 16 WILL BE OFFERED TO SOMEONE READY AND WILLING TO SHIP THEM OUT OF THE COUNTRY. YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOSE!

Brian,

In both another thread here and at my forum guys were complaining that it seems like they can't find quality FTA stuff anymore. I'll skip ranting on it for the third time in detail but it is this limited market combined with fleabayers and some that wanted to bring in the cheapest bottom barrel stuff.

Beyond that whole rant I think BUD sales are even more challenged in this market. Like the guys are saying here basically there are tons of them for free. On top of that look at how tiny True FTA is in North America. Out our small segment only a fraction of those guys can throw up an 8 or 10 footer. Would I pay $499 for a NOS quality built BUD? Certainly but I can't. HOA and OTARD limit me to 1 meter. A lot of other guys are stuck with the same. And let's not forget a critical factor in many FTA buying decisions: the wife. A lot of them aren't too keen on a Big Ugly Dish in the yard.

Magic Static said:
My wife was OK after I explained, " No Dear" "The dish does not make your ass look fat" ;)

Lol. Sleeping in the dog house for a few months after that statement. :)

If the units were available within driving range (day trip) I would likely go for it. The price is right for sure. I would even drive to Mike's to pick up if they were located there. I almost picked one up at Skyvision a few years back but found a used dish locally for my 2nd system. The shipping is a lot of coin especially from south FL to here. I would rather spend $150 on gas and enjoy the scenery.
Then this time of year I am too busy working to really think about putting up another dish...
I can certainly see the problem manufacturing large dish antennae for FTA customers, many of us are on a limited budget, may not have the yard in which to install one, or have other limitations making it a difficult endevour, even if C-band is where most of the "good" FTA channels are.

I believe that marketing is another key issue to all of the above comments. As the shift started from BUD's to pizza size, there was a huge amount of negative propaganda put out there to the public. I've got two neighbors who have BUD's that switched as programming disappeared and have no interest in going back. When I talk FTA to peeps, they say it is too much work or they want no startup cost.

I have several mesh dishes not being used within 10 miles of me, but I am very rural and for example, only this year (2014) has fiber optic become available. If I were to move into town the FTA hobby would probably be dropped. My subdivision of 2 acre lots (50 lots) has one active BUD user, ... Me.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Shipping is a huge factor for me and lack of funds at the current moment due to closing on a new house. I would most definitely go for Mike's dish but right now isnt the right time for me. Especally with the cost of shipping being at half the price.

That price is correct for a very well northamerican built dish but I can only accomodate up to 8 ft dish in my house. I live in a subdivision and the Ontario houses have much less land that those in USA.
And again, shipping is a big factor, I can even pick an 8 footer locally but only a fix dish, which does not fulfill my expectations as a hobbist, certainly it has to be a polar mount. what I was told by my local dealer is that they are no longer available in northamerica, at least at hobbist price. I am Ok to pay a price proportional to this for an 8 ft polar for local pick up or for a decent shipping cost.
BTW, my wife says is ok even for father's day. I promised her to paint it the color she prefers even pink.
:)

OUCH! Cheap? not really me, but cash strapped now. I have LOST 2 C band dishes to the wind and have severe damage to 2 more. I am building wind breaks into my home to try to protect the dishes next time.
I have not asked for a new C band dish as I will need to be sure I could protect it. I asked for a 12 VDC STB for my motor home and when I got 2 of them, I found I had failed in my research and I could not economically get signal through the coach (pre-installed low quality RG59 cable). BUT they do work fine in the buildings here, (New RG-6 and RG-11 on long runs) so it was not a loss (And I still use on 12 Volts with 12 Volt LCD/LED TVs.)
So, short answer - not for me, - but the idea did get me thinking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)