DiSEqC/tone switch/LNB hookup questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
I have a Pansat 2500a with three feeds coming in through a 4x1 DiSEqC switch. If I wanted to add more dishes (so there was more than 4, but not more than 8), what would be the best way to do that? My guess would be, get another 4x1 DiSEqC switch, and a 22 kHz tone switch, and feed the outputs of the two DiSEqC switches into the tone switch, and the output of the tone switch to the receiver input. Is that correct? And my next question is, what is a 22 kHz tone switch anyway? What I mean is, is this the same as any standard Dish Network or DirecTV switch, and if so, what model number?

Also, I have noticed that dishes with circular polarized LNB's don't seem to have any skew adjustment - is that right or am I just not seeing it? (I'm talking about the kind of "pizza pan" dish with a single LNB; I realize that multi-LNB dishes do have a skew adjustment on the back of the dish).

Final question, has anyone ever taken an LNB off a "pizza pan" dish and attached it in some way to a large C-band dish? What I'm interested in is a way to pick up the stations that occasionally pop up in the clear (don't worry, I am NOT trying to do anything that's not legal). I understand there's two or three stations from the north that are in the clear right now, and would like to see if I can pick them up. If I could get away with somehow clamping an LNB to the buttonhook support arm on a big dish, that would mean I wouldn't be dedicating a small dish to something that could go away tomorrow.

Mostly, at this point I'm asking these things for my own education - it's much too cold to try and mess with any of this right now. But when the time comes I may add two or three small dishes, and/or try adding a circular polarized LNB to the big dish (which has a "buttonhook" type feedhorn support arm).

You are right there is no skew to worry about with a DBS LNB because of its circular polarization it can be upside down, side ways, or at any skew whatso ever.

There have been people who have managed just to zip tie a DBS LNBF onto a BUD with some good results but it can be tricky to get the exact focal point.

There are quite a few channels to be had with just the small DBS type dish,

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452

and remember all the satellites are above the equator to the south, I am sure you know that. As for your switch question it sounds as if it will work depending on what DVB receiver you get, a Fortec Lifetime Ultra, or Pansat 2500 should work, maybe some other members with a similar setup will chirp in here, as I don't use many switch with my motorized system right now.

A 22khz switch is actually a 22khz tone that is sent to a switch or universal LNBF where the tone switches bands on the LNBF form low band to high band.

Good luck with the new hobby I don't blame you waiting until it heats up a bit : )

anik said:
I have a Pansat 2500a with three feeds coming in through a 4x1 DiSEqC switch. If I wanted to add more dishes (so there was more than 4, but not more than 8), what would be the best way to do that? My guess would be, get another 4x1 DiSEqC switch, and a 22 kHz tone switch, and feed the outputs of the two DiSEqC switches into the tone switch, and the output of the tone switch to the receiver input. Is that correct? And my next question is, what is a 22 kHz tone switch anyway? What I mean is, is this the same as any standard Dish Network or DirecTV switch, and if so, what model number?

coming from the receiver you would hook the 22k switch and then the 2 4x1 switches. This would give you 8 inputs. Each one would be setup as such
port 1 0k
port 2 0k
port 3 0k
port 4 0k
port 1 22k
etc.

Dish Network switches will not work. A Directv 22k switch would work. I have an old Phase II switch that works good. It had 4 inputs and 2 ouputs (this was for the old Para Todos dishes). I hooked the 2 outputs into a 2x1 switch and now I have 4 inputs (I didnt have a 4x1 switch laying around)
Also, I have noticed that dishes with circular polarized LNB's don't seem to have any skew adjustment - is that right or am I just not seeing it? (I'm talking about the kind of "pizza pan" dish with a single LNB; I realize that multi-LNB dishes do have a skew adjustment on the back of the dish).
as Pete said, doesnt matter what the skew is
Final question, has anyone ever taken an LNB off a "pizza pan" dish and attached it in some way to a large C-band dish? What I'm interested in is a way to pick up the stations that occasionally pop up in the clear (don't worry, I am NOT trying to do anything that's not legal). I understand there's two or three stations from the north that are in the clear right now, and would like to see if I can pick them up. If I could get away with somehow clamping an LNB to the buttonhook support arm on a big dish, that would mean I wouldn't be dedicating a small dish to something that could go away tomorrow.
I took a DBS LNB and put it right next to the KU band...done this twice
-put 2 LNB's next to the KU LNBF on my fixed dish at 95 for ExpressVu 91 & 82 (for the audio)
-put a LNB next to the KU one on fixed dish for Galaxy 10 for Dish 119 (again, for the audio)
Mostly, at this point I'm asking these things for my own education - it's much too cold to try and mess with any of this right now. But when the time comes I may add two or three small dishes, and/or try adding a circular polarized LNB to the big dish (which has a "buttonhook" type feedhorn support arm).
I did my "5 LNB's on one dish (check this area for the thread)" when it was 12 above with windchill below 0...what was I thinking :D

You can purchase a c/ku/dbs feed horn at skyvision to put on a big dish. The lnbf comes with the feed horn.

Thanks to everyone, this is really good info. You guys have basically confirmed what I was thinking might be the way things work. Iceberg, you said a DirecTV 22 kHz switch would work, did DirecTV use any particular model number or designation? And one thing I am not positive I am clear on, what selects between R and L polarity in the LNB? - I had always assumed that was a voltage differential (I think I recall hearing 13 volts for one and 18 volts for the other), in any case I'm assuming that the tone does not affect the R and L selection.

I've done things outside in a wind chill but in this case no matter how I do it I'm going to have to bury some more cable, and digging through snow into what is likely to be partially frozen ground is not my idea of a good time.

As I say my dish has a buttonhook feedhorn support which looks something like this (this is really crude, I know):

(
(
(---_|_|
(
(

My thought was to try and somehow strap an LNB to the "back" side of the buttonhook (the side most distant from the center of the C/Ku feedhorn) so that it wouldn't cast a "shadow" on that feedhorn. But basically I think I will have to experiment to see if I can find a distance and pointing angle that will work, and that I can somehow maintain. Maybe a large rubber band to hold it to the feedhorn cover? :D

One other thing, on the Pansat, what's the normal LNB type and LNB Local-Freq. to use if you're trying to use an LNB from a stock Dish Network or DirecTV "pizza pan" dish?

Whoops! Missed the polarity question!

The below works for DBS!

Horizontal = Left hand

Vertical = Right hand

anik said:
Thanks to everyone, this is really good info. You guys have basically confirmed what I was thinking might be the way things work. Iceberg, you said a DirecTV 22 kHz switch would work, did DirecTV use any particular model number or designation? And one thing I am not positive I am clear on, what selects between R and L polarity in the LNB? - I had always assumed that was a voltage differential (I think I recall hearing 13 volts for one and 18 volts for the other), in any case I'm assuming that the tone does not affect the R and L selection.
any 22k switch will work. DirectV uses the same 22K as StarChoice and FTA. Dish and ExpressVu are the oddballs. So any 22k out there will work. I've used a 4x8 multiswitch before. The only problem with that is it wont control a motor
I've done things outside in a wind chill but in this case no matter how I do it I'm going to have to bury some more cable, and digging through snow into what is likely to be partially frozen ground is not my idea of a good time.
How do you think I came up with "Iceberg" :D
One other thing, on the Pansat, what's the normal LNB type and LNB Local-Freq. to use if you're trying to use an LNB from a stock Dish Network or DirecTV "pizza pan" dish?
normal
11250 for LO
R=Vertical
L=Horizontal

Just remember "RV"

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the info. Now just hoping for an early spring!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts