Disgruntled VOOM Employee

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

VOOMCSA

Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
If you are wondering why your service with VOOM may have not been a pleasent one here's why:

Why Customer service Represenatives (CSA) aren't very smart.
VOOM subcontracts itself to three call centers in the US, 2 in Spokane (Customer service), and one in San Antonio (Sales). When VOOM started there was a big to do and all the Customer service represenatives were trained by VOOM, Motorola, and Convergys (The company who created the software your account is on). Later classes were taught by people who were on the service floor (regular CSA's) and so on. You do know after a while what happens when you make a copy of a copy of a copy. One of the latest classes failed and only a few were able to barely pass to go on the floor.

What happens on the VOOM floor
What the main Clients of VOOM does not know is that a regular CSA does not get treated very well. A regular CSA gets paid $7.50 an hour no commision. All that got taken away because San Antonio would lie just to get that $5 per sale bonus. We do happen to get a bonus, but it is based on Quality Assurance scores. Things like "must say customers name twice" and must ask "Did I take the right steps towards a resolution for your concerns today?" You also have to resovel all things in a timely matter, in other words do what you can to get the customer off your phone. This next one is hillarious because the computers we work on oare slower than molassess in January. You must wrap your call in a certain amount of time "select all the screens to close call like 5 or 6, fill in your customer comments, close work order screens etc... On a busy day this is impossible since you want to make sure you have done everything within West's (the call center) guidelines before you complete a call. One Quality assurance score just below the average and you lose your whole bonus for that whole pay period. That is also where you get CSA who don't care, they already lost their bonus. If you do happen to get a bonus they raise the standard so you wont get one next week.

The different Channel providers sends mini gifts and prizes for the CSA's to take home. We barely see them. The call centers Program managers horde them in their offices and the el cheapo prizes may end up getting handed out.

Program managers best thing to do is make sure a call center employee is either stressed out or bored out of their skull. 4 out of 5 times their answer is to blow off the customer. Mostly since we are not provided the right information to tell customers, because the client does not want us to tell the customers, so we don't know what to do or say, or they don't know and don't want to look dumb. These are the people who you do not want to request for a supervisor call. If you are caught talking to your neighbor or watching one of the many TV's on the floor, they will come over and ask one of many break up what your doing questions like, "What's going on here?" Then later your team leader will come over and talk to the team with a new you can no longer do this rule. When the clients come to visit and ask questions. The program managers will ask the CSA's who are so far up the program managers heiney to talk to the clients to hide what the regular CSA feels. The program manager does not care who you are, escpecially the one who is yonger than most of the agents on the floor, and normally resorts to some sort of buisness lingo script like "we would like to keep you as a valued employee."

There is not enough agents on the floor. They either get fired for not knowing what they are supposed to be doing, Quality Assurance scores, Being so frustrated at their team leader/ program manager they act out, or they quit. Mostly the latter. West doesn't feel it need to add that much more agents to the floor. There is never a real promotion most people are not there long enough, and there isnt any raises. Before January 2004 we were being paid $8.50, a dollar more than this year. Being so, I hear complaints from the other departments, escallations, emails, and such for being dragged off from what they are doing so that there are more floor support. on top that they make us, including escallations and emails, do so many side projects for the comapny, like now with the cutting off service and calling those with rejected payments. Thank whoever finally decided to allow customers to send in checks now.

Supervisor calls are useless. Supervisors have the same amount of power as the CSA does to solve an issue. They can not press your service call any faster. the software does not allow it. The only reasons CSA's ask them for advice on credits because certain CSA's got fired for giving $300 in one day. If you need to be resched because some installer never show up you will not be given any more than $25 credit which will go to your account. No credits will be refunded to customers, so if you cancel that credit disappears. The only beneficial thing about a Sup call is if you order the equipment on EBAY. if you did let the CSA go through their little schpeal about we cannot accept any hardware... then ask for a supervisor. More than not they will escallate your issue and you may get installed, but don't count on it

By the way The program managers say there is no real problem with firmware 726. They will not escallate your issue. That is a load

When ordering VOOM

The best thing to do is order online. this way you know what you are getting.
Never beleive anything San Antonio promises you unless it is on the website. VOOM Never promises the reception of local channels. They must be in digital. It is received by an off air antenna and scanning software. you cannot hook cable into the receiver. You cannot use existing hardware from another provider. Keep in mind SALES DEPARTMENT they will still lie to get you signed up however some of it may not be lies. They are either non intelligent enough because they will call and ask Customer support easily answerable questions or too stupid to look it up in the informational program "VOICE" by hitting search.

VOOM has no plans at this time to provide your local channels throgh satellite. to do so is more than flipping a switch. it takes a long time to get a contract signed to pick up any channel. Including adding ABC NBC CBS east and west coast feeds. When you go to request any other channel do no call, write or email VOOM. You will be talking to deaf ears and your request is not kept on file AND will be thrown away or forgotten. Even if we have a channel like Nickelodeon it is not like we have Nicktoons waiting on the back burner. VOOM may of not been able to negotiate for that channel. Remember it costs both sides just to broadcast that channel. VOOM is doing just fine and is gathering enough customers with or without such and such channel or feature you request or require, so saying you are losing customers and more customers would sign up if..... will be heard by deaf ears.

Never order for the 21 exclusive channel's movies VOOM is still growing and it takes a while to aquision new material especiallly in HD. If you want movies order one of the pluspacks. VOOM does not have al la carte programming where you choose only a certain specific channels you want. and will not buy in your old equipment or discount on anything that is not in the special offers.

Never use a debit card. VOOM does not have the contracts to accept debit cards correctly. It will appear as a double charge. Do not bother calling VOOM, they do not have that double charge nor can they refund it back to you or have your bank release the holds on the funds for that second charge. It is only a hold and will roll back into your bank account. It is an inconvenience but VOOM states do not use a debit card. Even if it has a Visa or Master card logo on it if it is teid to your bank account it is not a credit card.

Installers suck. VOOM goes through Installs Inc, voted the third worst installation subcontractors. Always try and set up on a day you have off because there has been many times where an installer does not show and the customer took time off from work. Don't expect to be installed that week it may take 7 days it may take 3 weeks especially since it is the holidays. If it was you who signed up you must be there, not your child, spouse, baby sitter, neighbor, etc or you will get rescheduled another 7 days or further. Do not sign anything until you know the system is working. if the installer wants to take off really quick, or states "this is my first VOOM install" make sure it is working. There are many funny and scary install horror stories but out of respect for the customer I will refrain from saying it here.

never ask sales how many customers VOOM has it is a lie because, due to security and priacy VOOM will not tell it's customers how many customers VOOM has. No CSA at VOOM has a timeline or price for the new DVR if you are given one you have been lied to. The DVR will be advertized before the VOOM CSA will get the correct information. All thanks to the program managers.

VOOM Email

This Is a following set of complaints I have heard by the supposed Email and Chat team. VOOM's Clients want them, however The program managers don't. They are bean counters and they cannot tract the email team's production correctly. so they do what they can do to disrupt them from doing their job take them away from doing emails and chats. pile them with many other side projects and regular calls. Yes, they are being paid $7.50 just like the rest of us. Email and chats used to be one team in Spokane but split into 3. The first Spokane team was again taught how to write an email and how to use the system correctly by the people who wrote the software. Once again San anotnio does not have a clue what they are doing. their emails are blocky incorrect and they bug the Spokane team with a barage of simple questions. The Spokane team cannot touch sales emails anymore those were taken away, so were sales chats. The Spokane team complains that they had enough work to do but then they gave away their work to two other stations. San Antonio plays ping pong with emails that are non customers because they dont know the answers. They are promptly sent back to sales. If you are a customer your best bet is to email Spokane than to call in unless you are having a technical problem or anything that requires them to call you. The program managers are more worried about the phones than chats, so you may have long waiting times with chat or not talk to anyone at all. They stuck The Spokane team on slow computers that don't work correctly for the work that they do since their team leader is away. I haven't heard more complaints about their job from those three teams than anything else on VOOM.

There is a lot more I will add in the near future but for now here's a taste of why you may get non inteligible, surly, non answer canned responses from contacting the call centers that represent VOOM....

I still work for them but not for long I had enough of being on the phones getting paid to do three times what I signed up for. I have not seen anyone from my VOOM training class in a long time (they've been recycled out) West feels that It doesn't matter what happens to you or how you feel or how long you've worked there. There is always someone else who they can pull off the street to do your job, even if they do not get the training you did.

mike123abc said:
I bet what you describe is very close to normal in many call centers.

Exactly! Same 'ol same 'ol.

On the same token, it's good reading. ;)

they should ship your job to India and put you on unemployment

Your are such a pathetic disgruntled person it is amazing. In a time when the whole US is complaining about all the call centers going to India, and we re trying to keep jobs here, don't you think someone in India would love your job. At a time when unemployment is high and we are fighting for jobs to stay here, this is amazing. I don't think you have had a job before. I have a dry cleaning business, and it is a tough environment. MY employees make a couple of dollars more than you , but face irate customers that complain about stains, timing, starch etc. We make it a pleasant experience, and make them happy. We don't cry and bemean our company.

Life is tough, you are lucky you have a job. You will cry more when your job goes to Sanjay in Mumbai, and you are on Welfere.

VOOMCSA said:
There is always someone else who they can pull off the street to do your job, even if they do not get the training you did.

Very true and happens all the time because this job doesn't require much training or knowledge.

VOOMCSA said:
VOOM is doing just fine and is gathering enough customers with or without such and such channel or feature you request or require
HUH? maybe CSR's really are out of touch.

VOOMCSA said:
Never use a debit card. VOOM does not have the contracts to accept debit cards correctly. It will appear as a double charge.
Funny I have had ZERO problems with my debit card for the last 8 months.

vurbano said:
HUH? maybe CSR's really are out of touch.

Hmmmm....I was doubled charged each Month i had them for 7 days until the Pre-autorization drops off.

vurbano said:

Giving VOOM your credit card # --- a necessary evil
Giving VOOM your debit card # --- pure insanity

voomster2 said:
Giving VOOM your credit card # --- a necessary evil
Giving VOOM your debit card # --- pure insanity

Well they have mine... had one problem and it has been all good. Debit Cards, I agree not only with VOOM but with anything is pure insanity as they offer no protection.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
Hmmmm....I was doubled charged each Month i had them for 7 days until the Pre-autorization drops off.
As per the original poster

"It is only a hold and will roll back into your bank account"

At least we don't have to talk to Ravi in India who only knows 25 English words.

Sean Mota said:
Well they have mine... had one problem and it has been all good. Debit Cards, I agree not only with VOOM but with anything is pure insanity as they offer no protection.

I used to say the same thing about debit cards until I learned that my bank, US Bank, does indeed provide fraud protection. I have no more reason to complain, except to complain that I can't complain. Hmm.

--Dan

1080iBeVuMin said:
Was this Voom employee "gruntled" or "disgruntled"? Sounds disgruntled. Better change the thread title.

What does "gruntled" mean anyway? :eek:

It means "put in a good humor". Really.

I know there is fraud protection on most (if not all) debit cards these days.
However, I would prefer to keep my $$$ and battle the card company on the disputed charge rather than battle the bank on getting $$$ added back to my account.

Gruntled (sp), forgot to add that most of the team leaders and the project manager know less about how to fix technical problems than the csa's do. There number one answer to a problem that they cannot solve is to escalate the issue, ie: pass the buck. I myself am a voom employee, but I have reached the age where I don't really care whether I lose my job or not, as long as I provide the best customer care that I can. Currently, we have to follow procedures that only allow eight minutes per call, regardless of what the issues are, we also have less than thirty seconds to log that call. Voom, West has devised a system where it is impossible to handle any call in that amount of time. You have to follow specific scripting for each category of problems, if you do this then the only outcome will be to have a tech come to your house and check your equipment. Because of this, you will lose your programming for several days. Most of the csa's hate working for Voom now because it has changed from customer friendly to politics and power tripping. Personally, I like voom as a system, they have the right idea as far as providing a cutting edge service. Unfortunately, they are not willing to spend the money on research and technical support that it takes to produce a trouble free product before they introduce it to the general public.

***WARNING*** If you are thinking about signing up for voom, verify everything that you talked about with your sales agent. If they tell you that you will receive all of your locals, have them name those locals on the phone since this call is recorded, if you are using a debit/credit card then be prepared for billing problems, your statement may say "Thank You for your payment" but you had better pay attention to the balance on that statement. These statements are printed before your payment is received and you are thanked in advance. Some banks have a problem processing recurring payments with a debit card and you may end up with a Voom bill several months behind in payments before you know there is a problem. Voom will not contact you until you are at least 90 day behind in payments

Also, when you are installed, don't take crap from the installer, it is his job to install your equipment right. Make sure that each receiver that is installed is working correctly. Check each and every local channel that you were promised, have csa in sales check antennaweb.org when you order your locals and note on the work order if you will need an upgraded multi-directional antenna to receive those locals. Make sure that the installer finishes the installation steps in the Installation Wizard. Some of them don't. And here is the most important thing that you can do: DON'T SIGN THE WORK ORDER IF EVERYTHING IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY!!! Techs don't get paid if that work order is not signed by you. You are also intitled to a voom manual, and all necessary cables to make your system work properly. You are also intitled to instructions from the tech on how to work voom. Eight times out of ten he is going to tell you that you do not have to have a phone line plugged into this system. He's lying, he doesn't want to take the time to run that line. We send you software downloads to enhance your system. Your system uses your phone line to let us know that you received these downloads. It also lets us know how many times you have had to reboot your system due to technical difficulties.
In closing this reply I would like to say that there are a few of us that genuinely like to help our customers, but, as with many of the sweat box call centers today, the main focus seems to be how much money can our employers make off of our clients before we lose their contract.
Please don't call Voom and yell at the CSA's, we are powerless to help you in most cases. Get the address to Voom's corporate office and aim your contempt there. Call the Better Business Bureau, post complaints in forums like this one, cancel your service if you are not on a contract. Change does not come to a company until they are faced with the reality of going out of business due to poor customer service.

spahoose & VOOMCSA,

glad that you are posting this but you could post under the same name more than once if you are one and the same person :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)