Disgusted with Hd-Lite

Status
Please reply by conversation.
markd said:
You know, if D* PQ wasn't so compressed (SD-Lite & HD-Lite) it probably wouldn't be bothering me as much right now. I think I would be happy with good PQ now knowing more will be coming soon. What about the rest of you?

But it's getting harder waiting for D* to let us know what they are going to do. Are they going to increase the PQ? Are they going to add more national channels? That's the two I'm most interested in.

Good points. Waiting, waiting, and more waiting. I sure am not going to upgrade or make changes so they can make me commit to another year. My 1 year is up in october so hopefully by then we will get a clue.

Barneypoo69............I can't answer your question but I can say this: a little over two years ago I was in a local TV/Appliance store. I noticed this rather wide looking TV with a hockey game on. The PQ was OUTSTANDING......you could see the snot running out of these guys nose. So I ask the salesman about it, he said it was HDNET.
I was sold..........bought a HDTV, already had D* but little did I know you also needed a $800.00 HD Receiver, so I bought that. Was very happy. As the years past, not much else from D* other than the HDlite. I can say without a Doubt, D* PQ is waaaaaaay below what it was 2 years ago and very seldom watch any of what they offer. Most of what I watch know is OTA.

RK, am I to understand that using the over the air antennae we should be getting true HD from the Networks? Is this why, say for instance, American Idol looked so good?

FlyingJ said:
RK, am I to understand that using the over the air antennae we should be getting true HD from the Networks? Is this why, say for instance, American Idol looked so good?

OTA is true HD, unless the network is doing something funky to it, this is the best HD right now!

asousa said:
OTA is true HD, unless the network is doing something funky to it, this is the best HD right now!
No C-band at 45 mbps is the highest quality available by sat. OTA HD at 19.3 mbps is good though.

I can't say what "True HD" is, I don't have a meter nor do I care, only that OTA beats D* hands down. Although Lost on ABC did look kinda weak a few times. I've never seen anything from D* about HDlite and a CSR has no clue what your talking about. We are at the mercy of the broadcasters, we take what they give us and nothing we can do about it. I will say this.....college football on CBS in HD is Fantastic! and that is why I have HD, Sports! One more thing, I love NASCAR and FOX has done a great job with it but I havn't been WOW'd with it......much much better than SD but seems to be lacking. Not sure what I'm going to do in July when TNT takes over. D* you $@#
I know some are on NBC and suppose to be in HD so I'll compare the two.

I can't say that I blame D as much as their providers for HD-Lite. I have both D's network plan and OTA HD of The NY stations. I find OTA to be only slightly better than D's feed. As far as what we are seeing from the HD package is concerned, sports on ESPN HD doesn't even come close to sports on HDN. Why? Because ESPN chooses to broadcast in 720P while HDN chooses to go with 1080I. HBO and Showtime for the most part are showing movies that were shot in 35MM (I think) If we ever get a chance to see a movie shot in HD, I would hazzard to guess we would see quite a difference. One of these nights I hope to stay up late enough to see a fight in HD on HBO (maybe this Sat ) Anyway for what it's worth, that's my 2 cents on the subject.

rkr0923 said:
I can't say what "True HD" is, I don't have a meter nor do I care, only that OTA beats D* hands down. Although Lost on ABC did look kinda weak a few times.
I've noticed the same thing about some of the pre-recorded HD shows on OTA, even if it's a first run, but the live feeds are outstanding.

Can someone please define for me what exactly is HD-lite? Can it be described quanitatively or is it purely a perception?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)