dish 1000.2 not getting 129

gwtill

Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
North Carolina
Hi Guys,
This is my first thread so bear with me if I get something wrong
I am having problems with my HD signals. I purchased a dish 1000.2 to use when we travel ( just upgraded to HD). I had previously been using a dishPro twin dish 500 antenna with the old non HD receiver. I am in a site that I have used before with the dish 500 and it worked fine. According to the compass and inclinometer I "should be clear" but I can't get 129 at all. here is what I have done so far. I am in zip 27537 using azmuth 242 elevation 30 and skew 132

1. Blocked off 110 and 129 LNB with foil and peaked 119 on tp 11 for max signal using the new receiver.

2. Removed foil did check sw and have the following 110 = 62, 119 = 54, 129 connected but no signal.

3. In checking the transponders on 129 I noticed that I pick up "wrong satellite 119 not locked" at about 45 on some of the even transponders.

My thinking is that if I definitely peaked 119 on the correct LNB and I also get 110 my dish must be pointed correctly and the skew must be correct. I know 129 is lower on the horizon so I guess it is possible it is being blocked by the trees or I have a bad LNB. I contacted Dish Advanced troubleshooting and gave them the above info. They said I have a bad LNB. I have another LNB on the way but I would like to know if There is anything else I might be missing. I have installed and pointed numerous dishes before but never a dish 1000.2. Any help would really be appreciated.

I checked through previous threads but didn't find anything that helped me
gwtill

Try clearing the switch matrix and running check switch again.

Unplug satellite cable and run check switch.
Plug satellite cable and run check switch.

What receiver are you using?

Is 129 showing up in the switch matrix after you do the check switch screen? If not, and you pick 129 on the signal screen and keep digging around you'll never find 129. The receiver does not know which port 129 is on. So you have to adjust things and keep doing a check switch until 129 pops up...adjust...check switch...adjust..check switch. Once you get 110/119/129 in the switch matrix, never do a check switch again.

Hi Guys,
1. Blocked off 110 and 129 LNB with foil and peaked 119 on tp 11 for max signal using the new receiver.

2. Removed foil did check sw and have the following 110 = 62, 119 = 54, 129 connected but no signal.

3. In checking the transponders on 129 I noticed that I pick up "wrong satellite 119 not locked" at about 45 on some of the even transponders.

My thinking is that if I definitely peaked 119 on the correct LNB and I also get 110 my dish must be pointed correctly and the skew must be correct.
I checked through previous threads but didn't find anything that helped me
gwtill

Now that you've run the check switch, cover the outer eyes and see if you still have 119. I suspect you are aimed at 101, 110, 119.

Miner

I am using the solo 612HD receiver. From left to right on the matrix I have 110 with a check mark beside it, 119 with a check mark beside it and 129 with an X beside it saying not connected

Miner, I am at home today but will try covering the outer two eyes after running check switch as soon as the new LNB comes. I'll try it before switching LNB's. I am almost positive I did check it after running check switch but it won't hurt to do it again. Thanks

Hello guys I'm Back,
I took your advice and unplugged the antenna cable from the receiver and ran a check switch to clear the switch settings. Then I hooked the antenna cable back up and ran a check switch with Alternate (not superDISH selected) Hope this was correct. Anyway my results are as follows on the matrix: From left to right on both satellite input 1 and 2 it reads:
Port 1 119 OK device 1K.2 reception verified
Port 2 110 OK device 1K.2 reception verified
Port 3 Conn X device 1K.2
Port 4 X X N.C.

So it would appear from what was posted about the correct matrix (110 119 129) my matrix is wrong. It is looking like "miner's reply that I am pointing at the wrong satellites might be correct.

Given this new data what do I do? Do I need to raise my elevation, or lower it before moving my azmuth. Also do I need to do anything to my skew.
Any correct help will be appreciated

Cover the outer eyes and if you lose 119, you're aimed wrong. If it stays, I think you then just need to fine tune your signal. If you are aimed at 101, 110, 119, you'll want to move the dish to the west about 9 degrees. I believe you would lower the elevation just a touch.

Miner

Bud the first thing to get it right is to use dish pointer.com link to find you Elevation, Azimuth and skew.
Follow these steps.

Adjust the skew exactly tighten the nuts up and do not change it.

Set you required elevation as acurately as possible.

If you have a compass this could help in pointing you in the right direction for your Azimuth.

Cover with foil 110 and 129 lnb's first and last middle is you 119. Hook up a short cable to port 1 on the lnb switch this is where 119 signal strength comes in from if using a sat finder.

Set it up at the highest possible mine was at 54-57 on transponder 14. Once locked in you should now be able to hook up the receiver to the dish and run a check switch.

I had a very similar problem on a recent camping trip. After suspecting a bad LNB like this guy, I eventually figured out that my skew was off because the dish itself had jumped off this little metal tit on the mounting bracket so gwtill, if you haven't already fixed your problem, carefully make sure the dish itself is properly oriented to the mounting bracket. If you have the problem I had (because the dish got bumped in the back of my pickup), you can think your skew is right but it is way off. This can explain how you get two satellites in fine but not 129. This is exactly what happened to me.

try moving the dish left or right.you real close,but not seeing the 129 satellite,if you have any trees approx 25 degrees in elavation south west that may be some of the problem.hope this was helpful.

Sat 129 lies very low on the horizon so if there is any sort of obstruction of any kind you could have a problem. Try the steps I have posted this is the easiest way got the signal in in less that 5 minutes and was ready to watch TV. By the way are you using a sat finder? I have a simple Sat beeper with a pitch that increases once I am pointed to the sat. The imortant thing is the azimuth as well use a compass for this.

Might as well through my two cents in....

I just went through a marathon tweaking and peaking with 129. My advice is to also check the mount BEFORE you put the dish antenna bracket on it. If the pole portion isn't perfect both ways it can make aiming a nightmare and all of those nice numbers that everyone gives you are off.

M

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts