Dish 1000.4 to VIP622 desperate need for help

ckpuma7938

Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
NJ
I switched, or am trying to switch from a dish 500 (tree problem) to a dish 1000.4 EA. I was getting the 110 on dish 500, but the tree started blocking 119, so I had to move on. Got the dish, got an iPhone app that shows a clear view of the satellites, got the radioshack signal finder, peaked it (got an 8 signal strength on the 10-scale) on the 72, disconnected the cables, ran check switch test, reconnected again ... nothing. It tells me that one of the satellite switches is not connected properly. I thought it might be the cable, ran a different one directly from the dish to the back of the receiver ... nothing. ZERO. I'm about to jump from the roof. Please someone help, or my next move would be a call to FIOS. I've been a loyal DISH user for over 8 years now but never had such a bad case of ... nothing. Could it be the receiver? Thank you.

Not sure but the 1000.4 is notoriously difficult to align. Perhaps unplug the 622 from any dish input and check switch and save. This will clear the old switch matrix. Then plug it back in again and do another check switch.

I switched, or am trying to switch from a dish 500 (tree problem) to a dish 1000.4 EA. I was getting the 110 on dish 500, but the tree started blocking 119, so I had to move on. Got the dish, got an iPhone app that shows a clear view of the satellites, got the radioshack signal finder, peaked it (got an 8 signal strength on the 10-scale) on the 72, disconnected the cables, ran check switch test, reconnected again ... nothing. It tells me that one of the satellite switches is not connected properly. I thought it might be the cable, ran a different one directly from the dish to the back of the receiver ... nothing. ZERO. I'm about to jump from the roof. Please someone help, or my next move would be a call to FIOS. I've been a loyal DISH user for over 8 years now but never had such a bad case of ... nothing. Could it be the receiver? Thank you.
somw of the earliest model 222 and 622 are NOT 1000.4 compatible.
Call Dish and ask to speak to advanced technical support.
Explain your problem. They may ask for your receiver's card and serial number.
FRom the serial number they may be able to determine if your receiver is 1000.4 compatible...
Or......you can claim your reciver does not work and need a replacement.
Most likely you'll get a 722k which is 1000.4 compatible.

Alot of the 622/222 problems are due to the older software. I know that the factory software brings the sat in as a twin with wing on all three orbitals, but after download will read correctly. However, it could be an issue with the install with either the settings not set correctly on the dish, the cable not plugged in right, etc.

Remember the skew on the 1k4 is backwards so you skew counterclockwise vs clockwise (or vice versa). Also, the LNB on the k4 has a "LNB IN" port on the far right. Make sure it is plugged into 1,2, or 3.

You may also try calling csc and see if dishcomm is correct about the card number.

Just called dish customer service. They claim there's no issue between the 622 and 1000.4. Sucks to be me right now.

The 1000.4 is fun...

These are my observations from installing a couple.

When you're aiming the dish cover two of the three LNBs with foil and aim for one sat. Once you find one, remove foil and run check switch even if it's the wrong one you can tweak the dish in the correct direction.

I've also found that if you have the dish pretty loose on the mast you need to increase elevation 4-5 degrees and then once you tighten it down decrease elevation.

Once the sats are all locked in small dish adjustments are easy.

If you have a friend (or can make a friend) that already has a 1000.4 installed I would take your receiver to there house and run a check switch. Then when you take it back home it already knows what sats to looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try again tonight. I suspect the crappy 40-dollar signal finder from RadioShack is not the best, but don't have another one and the professional ones are really expensive - it was beeping in the 8-10 range, so I thought I should be getting at least a little signal - NOPE. What bothered me the most is the message that it wasn't connected properly. When I ran 6-1-3 it shows everything connected but no signal - it doesn't even take time to do the whole 10%...27%...53%... just gives me the red ERROR, SELECT DETAILS, and the details say I've lost signal on Tuner 1 at certain time.

You are probably aimed at the wrong satellite. That meter only identifies a satellite signal and can't tell you if you are aimed at the correct satellite, The receiver may show a signal strength but not lock if you are on the wrong satellite it may not even show a signal if it is the wrong type of signal. Try reaiming and have someone watch the DISH receiver for a lock that coincides with the meter showing a signal.

ckpuma7938 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try again tonight. I suspect the crappy 40-dollar signal finder from RadioShack is not the best, but don't have another one and the professional ones are really expensive - it was beeping in the 8-10 range, so I thought I should be getting at least a little signal - NOPE. What bothered me the most is the message that it wasn't connected properly. When I ran 6-1-3 it shows everything connected but no signal - it doesn't even take time to do the whole 10%...27%...53%... just gives me the red ERROR, SELECT DETAILS, and the details say I've lost signal on Tuner 1 at certain time.

Coulda saved yourself alot of money and a head ache if you signed up for the protection plan paid 15 bucks for service and cancelled after, a total of 46 bucks. But good luck with your system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)