Dish 1000.4 vs 1000.2 Setup

DialgaChampion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
New York
There's something I don't understand. I've been told multiple times by different people that the 1000.4 setup is better, due to the larger reflector and fine-tuning features on the skew.

I've also been told that in a direct comparison, the 1000.4 arm is longer and the lnb adapter bracket is smaller.

But is there no way to "MacGyver" a solution where you can keep the sturdiness/fine-tuning capabilities of the 1000.4 reflector, yet still be able to get the new hybrid lnb to fit properly and work with the larger dish?

Between the 1000.4 and 1000.2 setups, is the reason why the hybrid lnb won't work with a 1000.4 setup because the lnb doesn't fit into the 1000.4 bracket holder and that the lnb would be farther away from the reflector? If so, is it possible to cut out part of the bracket holder and cut off part of the arm length to solve this problem? Or is there another reason it won't work, like the lnb being angled differently towards the reflector?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's any way at all to keep the 1000.4. I just like it a lot better than the 1000.2, and like I said, a lot of people have told me it's a sturdier design, more comparable to what DirecTV uses for their dishes. If I have no choice, then I'll go back to a 1000.2, but I just thought I'd ask for everyone's thoughts anyway.

Just go with the 1000.2 dish and the eastern arc hybrid lnb, especially if you have the hopper 3. I recently installed the newer eastern arc twin lnb at my parents house when I switched them from western arc to eastern arc due to dish sight issues. I checked the strength on the transponders and I noticed that the strengths on most of the transponders were similar to my 1000.4 dish at my house. Some were stronger and some slightly lower, but comparable strengths and my Mom and Dad haven't noticed any loss like they did with their older western arc dish due to a tree blocking their signal. Unless of course it rains cats and dogs like it has all week here in Texas. Then it is good that we have back up ota. I know it seems that a bigger dish would be better for rain fade , it makes no difference because the 1000.4 dish was used to get good signals on 3 sats 61.5, 72.7, 77 sats, and the new twin lnb for eastern arc and the 1000.2 sat dish is used just for 61.5 and 72.7. So it gives you a good signal on both of those sats ,especially if it is peaked properly. The 1000.4 sat dish I installed in 08 is still out there till I get the hopper 3 next week and it was a real time consuming b*tch to put up and peak. The directions were long and you really had to work to get it peaked for all 3 sats and don't get me started on the damn azimiuth cam and elevation rod.:eeek The 1000.2 sat dish is simple to aim and peak for either eastern arc or western arc and the strengths are comparable. I prefer eastern arc because western arc 129 sat seems to drop out a lot more to me when I had it , which effects all your hd locals.

Just go with the 1000.2 dish and the eastern arc hybrid lnb, especially if you have the hopper 3. I recently installed the newer eastern arc twin lnb at my parents house when I switched them from western arc to eastern arc due to dish sight issues. I checked the strength on the transponders and I noticed that the strengths on most of the transponders were similar to my 1000.4 dish at my house. Some were stronger and some slightly lower, but comparable strengths and my Mom and Dad haven't noticed any loss like they did with their older western arc dish due to a tree blocking their signal. Unless of course it rains cats and dogs like it has all week here in Texas. Then it is good that we have back up ota. I know it seems that a bigger dish would be better for rain fade , it makes no difference because the 1000.4 dish was used to get good signals on 3 sats 61.5, 72.7, 77 sats, and the new twin lnb for eastern arc and the 1000.2 sat dish is used just for 61.5 and 72.7. So it gives you a good signal on both of those sats ,especially if it is peaked properly. The 1000.4 sat dish I installed in 08 is still out there till I get the hopper 3 next week and it was a real time consuming b*tch to put up and peak. The directions were long and you really had to work to get it peaked for all 3 sats and don't get me started on the damn azimiuth cam and elevation rod.:eeek The 1000.2 sat dish is simple to aim and peak for either eastern arc or western arc and the strengths are comparable. I prefer eastern arc because western arc 129 sat seems to drop out a lot more to me when I had it , which effects all your hd locals.

Congrats on going to the Hopper 3. I can't wait till the new DPH42 switch comes out. I know this has been posted before, but do you know which Dish is larger of the two?

Congrats on going to the Hopper 3. I can't wait till the new DPH42 switch comes out. I know this has been posted before, but do you know which Dish is larger of the two?
I believe that the 1000.4 sat dish is larger. I will be upgrading not this weekend but next ,due to the delivery not showing up till Monday. That and the never ending rain this weekend.

I got a good deal on my new hopper 3 , 4k joey, joey 2.0 and my new hybrid eastern arc lnb with solo hub switch. I paid $ 586.99 for the lot and NO tax and the online retailer will give me $200.00 for trade ins( hopper with sling, super joey , lnb) I will send him. I also got $208.00 in rewards credit from my wife's new Bank of America credit card and another $35.00 in rewards from my other Bank of America credit card, which brings my total down to $143.99 for the entire new whole house setup that I will install myself. I can't wait to get it up and running and the new install schematic looks easier to install, than the present setup for a hopper with sling and super joey was.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I believe that the 1000.4 sat dish is larger. I will be upgrading not this weekend but next ,due to the delivery not showing up till Monday. That and the never ending rain this weekend.

I got a good deal on my new hopper 3 , 4k joey, joey 2.0 and my new hybrid eastern arc lnb with solo hub switch. I paid $ 586.99 for the lot and NO tax and the online retailer will give me $200.00 for trade ins( hopper with sling, super joey , lnb) I will send him. I also got $208.00 in rewards credit from my wife's new Bank of America credit card and another $35.00 in rewards from my other Bank of America credit card, which brings my total down to $143.99 for the entire new whole house setup that I will install myself. I can't wait to get it up and running and the new install schematic looks easier to install, than the present setup for a hopper with sling and super joey was.
WOW, sounds like a good deal. I am happy for you and hope it all goes good for you. Also, hope all that there rain lets up some. Can't wait to read your H3 review.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
There's something I don't understand. I've been told multiple times by different people that the 1000.4 setup is better, due to the larger reflector and fine-tuning features on the skew.

I've also been told that in a direct comparison, the 1000.4 arm is longer and the lnb adapter bracket is smaller.

But is there no way to "MacGyver" a solution where you can keep the sturdiness/fine-tuning capabilities of the 1000.4 reflector, yet still be able to get the new hybrid lnb to fit properly and work with the larger dish?

Between the 1000.4 and 1000.2 setups, is the reason why the hybrid lnb won't work with a 1000.4 setup because the lnb doesn't fit into the 1000.4 bracket holder and that the lnb would be farther away from the reflector? If so, is it possible to cut out part of the bracket holder and cut off part of the arm length to solve this problem? Or is there another reason it won't work, like the lnb being angled differently towards the reflector?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's any way at all to keep the 1000.4. I just like it a lot better than the 1000.2, and like I said, a lot of people have told me it's a sturdier design, more comparable to what DirecTV uses for their dishes. If I have no choice, then I'll go back to a 1000.2, but I just thought I'd ask for everyone's thoughts anyway.
There is mods that can be done, and I've tried a few myself.
But you have to have all the dish parts from both satellite setups.
So you have to ask yourself, when is it financially stupid to continue these tests, when all these Dishes and parts can add up, and for what.

I've already stated in my own tests results, Keeping in mind, I've already had 90% of my dish configurations already paid for and already laying around the house.
The difference between the 1.4k and 1.2k dishes are extremely minimal as far as signal strength goes.
Now the custom 1.5k vs 1.2k is another story .
But you can cross out using this for a H3, because the Hybrid is for the 1.2k configuration only. And the structure of the 1.4k and 1000Plus dishes are almost identical.
Small difference.
But the 1.2k LNB feed arm is smaller in diameter, and is also welded to the Skew and elevation mount.
That's makes it Non interchangeable.

So are you going to cut up a $70 dish, and find out the results are worse than before, and now you have to pay another $70 for a new one?

If you have Pro Plus technology ,it's one thing to experiment, but I can tell you for a fact the 1.2K 2 LNB EA doesn't like the bigger dish.

And without a welder and lots of extra feed arms to get the proper distance and angle, you will never achieve what you are trying at a reasonable cost with that EA2 lnb.

I didn't want to cut up my 1.2k.
So I didnt.

Also as Mike stated , Rain fade between 1.4 and 1.2 isn't worth undoing a bolt.

The best Rain fade solution is one 30 inch dish for each orbital location on a DPP switch.

But again overkill and not financially smart, and not Hybrid compatible.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I'd just like to go back to my two dish set up where I never had "any" reception issues ever. The 1k2 that they made use with the install of HwS's, rain and snow faded from the day it was installed.

I know it seems that a bigger dish would be better for rain fade, but it makes no difference because the 1000.4 dish was used to get good signals on 3 sats 61.5, 72.7, 77 sats, and the new twin lnb for eastern arc and the 1000.2 sat dish is used just for 61.5 and 72.7. So it gives you a good signal on both of those sats, especially if it is peaked properly. The 1000.2 sat dish is simple to aim and peak for either eastern arc or western arc and the strengths are comparable. I prefer eastern arc because western arc 129 sat seems to drop out a lot more to me when I had it, which effects all your hd locals.

The difference between the 1.4k and 1.2k dishes are extremely minimal as far as signal strength goes.

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice by the way. I already went and ordered a 1000.2, should be here in a few weeks. In the meantime, I get to stare at my Hopper 3 in its box, and wait in anticipation until the dish parts arrive. :oldsmile

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice by the way. I already went and ordered a 1000.2, should be here in a few weeks. In the meantime, I get to stare at my Hopper 3 in its box, and wait in anticipation until the dish parts arrive. :oldsmile
Good luck on the wait. I have to wait till next weekend to install my hopper 3 , 4k joey, joey 2 and put up the new hybrid lnb with a 1000.2 sat dish I found in the park where I live. I already switched the dish to eastern arc configuration , just waiting on the lnb to set it all up. Can't wait to find out how it all works next Saturday.:biggrin

Reactions: charlesrshell
Good luck on the wait. I have to wait till next weekend to install my hopper 3 , 4k joey, joey 2 and put up the new hybrid lnb with a 1000.2 sat dish I found in the park where I live. I already switched the dish to eastern arc configuration , just waiting on the lnb to set it all up. Can't wait to find out how it all works next Saturday.:biggrin
Me too. :)

I changed my 1000.2 western arc to a 1000.2 hybrid eastern arc in late Feb. It was a very easy re-aim to the new satellites. I did the same change on my second 1000.2 dish. It is 20' up on my antenna tower. Once I got my head out of my butt when I was re-aiming it it was a no problem.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts