dish 1000 elevation & skew for L.A?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ruler1

Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
;) Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I am looking for anyone that can point me in the right direction, for the dish 1000 elevations & skew for the city of Los Angeles. I have tried everything and can't get them all. I either get 119 or 110 at a time. I have a birdog. Any help will be really appreciated.
Thank you.

what receiver do you have?

Most of them you can go into menu 6-1-1 put in your zip and it will give you the numbers :)

I don't have a receiver yet. I just want to learn where to point it. Before I buy one.

Dude, if you can't just help without your Huhs. Just keep to your self. I am looking for help not interogation. With all the free to air receivers you have, why would you Huh me. And for your info I am looking to buy a HD 811

Dude, if you can't just help without your Huhs. Just keep to your self.

Look holmes. You asked a very vague question and I was confused when I mentioned the menu 6-1-1 and you tell me "I dont have a receiver yet"

I was asking because if you were going to say "oh, I'm going to get a 6000" I would have mentioned that the Dish1000 might not work properly due to the LNB's. And why would you put up a Dish1000 if you didnt have the service?

With all the free to air receivers you have, why would you Huh me
what do my FTA receivers have to do with the question? Last I checked you can't legally use a FTA box to get Dish Network (yet some people think they can).

ruler1 said:
Dude, if you can't just help without your Huhs. Just keep to your self. I am looking for help not interogation. With all the free to air receivers you have, why would you Huh me. And for your info I am looking to buy a HD 811
Spidey senses are tingling...

Pointing angles for 403XX

Iceberg said:
by the way...numbers for LA
-elevation 50.5
azimuth-168
skew +1 (91)

I see the figures you give are just a little bit off from the Dish figures.

For my ZIP, 403XX, they are 232 AZ, 32 EL, and 126 Skew.

My 110º, & 119º signal strength are good, but my 129º is a bit week - around 50 to 65. Would you recommend tweaking my settings a bit? If so, to what?

Thanks,

Rick

RickDee said:
I see the figures you give are just a little bit off from the Dish figures.

For my ZIP, 403XX, they are 232 AZ, 32 EL, and 126 Skew.

My 110º, & 119º signal strength are good, but my 129º is a bit week - around 50 to 65. Would you recommend tweaking my settings a bit? If so, to what?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick,
The OP is looking for numbers in LA area. If your zip is 40300-40399 (Lexington, KY?), your numbers should be 227, 35, 123 according to the Dish website. Try those settings and see if your signal strength improves. I'm assuming you have a Dish 500.

BigFella said:
Rick,
The OP is looking for numbers in LA area. If your zip is 40300-40399 (Lexington, KY?), your numbers should be 227, 35, 123 according to the Dish website. Try those settings and see if your signal strength improves. I'm assuming you have a Dish 500.

Rick,

Please disregard my previous post. Your obviously talking about a Dish 1000 and for some reason, I ASS U ME ed that you had a Dish 500. Somebody else will have to chime in here because I don't know how the look angles differ for the 1000 vs. the 500. My apologies for the wrong answer to your first post and question on Satellite Guys! BTW WELCOME!!!

IF you will post your zipcode I can give you the figures straight from the dish 1000 installation instruction sheet that came with mine.

Iceberg said:
by the way...numbers for LA
-elevation 50.5
azimuth-168
skew +1 (91)

I agree with two of your 3 settings.
The azimuth I believe should be 196 degrees.
You may have subtracted 14 degrees instead of adding 14 degrees for his location.

no you subtract since he is W of the Mississippi river....I'm in MN and I always have to subtract 3 or 4 off what it shows

Iceberg said:
no you subtract since he is W of the Mississippi river....I'm in MN and I always have to subtract 3 or 4 off what it shows

Upon further checking my readings, you are correct and I made a mistake.
That area you subtract and you add east of the big river. Sorry.

BigFella said:
Rick,

Please disregard my previous post. Your obviously talking about a Dish 1000 and for some reason, I ASS U ME ed that you had a Dish 500. Somebody else will have to chime in here because I don't know how the look angles differ for the 1000 vs. the 500. My apologies for the wrong answer to your first post and question on Satellite Guys! BTW WELCOME!!!
Not a problem. You're right; it's a Dish 1000. The settings I posted are from the Dish 1000 book, but a Dish Tech(?) recommended I adjust my Skew for a better signal on 129 and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

Rick...

MikeD-C05 said:
IF you will post your zipcode I can give you the figures straight from the dish 1000 installation instruction sheet that came with mine.
The settings I posted are from the Dish 1000 book, but a Dish Tech(?) recommended I adjust my Skew for a better signal on 129 and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

Rick...

RickDee said:
The settings I posted are from the Dish 1000 book, but a Dish Tech(?) recommended I adjust my Skew for a better signal on 129 and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

Rick...

If you change the skew setting from its optimum position for a 3 satellite dish which in your case is 110 / 119 / 129, to get better 129, then 110 will suffer. Maybe you can afford to weaken 110 for a better 129, I don't know.
Keep this in mind.

RickDee said:

Rick...

IF they recommend adjusting the skew, then move the skew either to the left or right and use a sat meter to get it to peak at it's best signal. By the way my dish is not set to the dish 1000 skew and elevation for my zipcode anymore either.

I used a dish 1000 JUST for the 129 sat on one pole and I adjusted mine by peaking it on the 129 sat and I adjusted the elevation and skew till I got the dish signal at its best peak. I get anywere from the mid 70s to the mid to high 80s in signal strength now. I ran the dish 1000 into the dish 500 on the second pole and into the dishpro plus twin and I have the dish 500 peaked for the 110/119 sats and I get signals in the 100s . I get little to any rain fade on the 129 sat.

Without the satellite meter to tweak it and listen to, to get the strongest signal I don't see how anyone can tweak the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)