Dish 1000 in Cincinnati, OH??

rhorseusmc

Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Hello- I'm new here to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out? I have been a Dish Network customer for about 8 years now with no problems whatsoever with the Dish 500 that I installed. I am wanting to upgrade to HD and when I talked to the CSR at Dish she told me that as an existing customer I could get a VIP622 receiver but that they would have to add another dish to get the HD. I had already done my research on this and knew that there is a Dish 1000, 1000.2, and Superdish. The CSR thought I was crazy when I told her that Dish does in fact have a single dish that woudl be able to receive the HD. My question is, living in Cincinnati (45212), am I able to use this Dish 1000.2? I do have an unubstructed view of the sky and the Dish 500 is currently mounted above approximatley 11ft high onthe back of my house. I can go higher if needed as I live in a 3-story house. I just wanted to find out before I call back. Hopefully I will get someone who knows what there talking about. Thanks in advance. Rick

Hi Rick,

Sure, the 1000.2 works. I'm out in Maineville, and use it to hit all three (110, 119, 129). Not that there's that much interesting on 129 currently. No HD locals love for us. Keep the OTA HD antenna handy. :)

--Scott

Not only can you use a Dish 1000.2 but Fox Sports Ohio (Cincinnati) HD channel is at 129° now. Not that there is ever anything on it, but that is where it is for when the Reds start "sucking" again ---err playing again. :)

The only possible problem you will have in the Norwood area is line of sight depending on buildings to your south-west. 129° is pretty low on the horizon. I live only 5-10 miles north of you in the Wyoming area (well, not really, I throw a rock over the hill and it lands in Wyoming...) and I have a definite tree issue so I have the second dish for 61.5°. A minor advantage is that 61.5° has a couple of channels not at 129° (not HD... not since they removed the Fish Tank channel anyway) like Classic Arts Showcase and Pentagon Channel.

See ya
Tony

We live in preble county and the advantage to living in rural preble county is that i can get both Cincinnati and Dayton on our Attenna. We also upgraded to HD with and i am so surprised to see that mostly our local channels on our Receiver is Cincinnati, an oxford pbs station, maybe a couple of dayton stations. But sometimes we get no signal on the oxford pbs station and the dayton stations.

The Dayton locals transmitters are actually near Springboro/Centerville on the Montgomery/Warren/Butler county boarder. They broardcast mostly north/south, so in Prebble Co you will have a hard time getting those.

The Oxford channel digital transmitter is actually way south of Oxford. I get a great signal on the Oxford digital channel. I don't get squat on their analog channel. That transmitter is in or around Oxford.

See ya
Tony

The Dayton locals transmitters are actually near Springboro/Centerville on the Montgomery/Warren/Butler county boarder.
No, they're not. They're hardly close to Centerville, let alone Springboro. They're in "southwest" Dayton or so. See the attached map.

Problem for Camden is that the towers are East-Northeast from there whereas Cincy's towers are Southeast. Probably a 90' separation.

Attachments

• map1.png
    map1.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 194
There is a possibility that the Cincy HD LIL will be coming from 118.75, so you may need a Dish 1000+.

Oh come on....Dish has been showing Cincy locals on their "coming soon" maps for over 2 years now. In fact they show Cincy again on their CES map and were still not going to be in the first round of LIL in HD when the new sat goes up.

(soapbox OFF :) )

A Dish 1000.2 would be the recommendation. I have a Dish 1000 and already had to replace the LNB once due to the LNB drift issue. The .2 model doesnt have that problem.

If you are in norwood I would recommend the following:

Amazon.com: Terk Technology HDTVi VHF/UHF HDTV Indoor Antenna: Electronics

I live a little west of you and I use that as my HD antenna and works pretty good. You have to have a UHF\VHF antenna for channel 9. 9 is a VHF channel in digital that isnt pumping a lot of power right now. They are one of the lowest powered digital channels according to the FCC database. All other channels in Cincy are UHF.

If you need more than one tuner for local HD I would suggest setting up something like Media Center on a PC and purchasing the HDHomeRun. It is a dual tuner device that will work with an over the air antenna or with Time Warner's HD feeds over cable.

The PC records the shows and you view them via an xbox 360 or any other media center extender.

Maybe someday Cincinnati will have HD locals on the sats. Direct and Time Warner have had them for a long time now.

I know there is an antenna farm at the top of the hill as you crest over the rt. 73 interchange, south of I675 and that is where I thought the towers were.
I can't say that I recall seeing any towers in that area. Next time I'm going that way I'll look though.

Went south towards Cincy yesterday and I didn't see any tower farms other than what appeared to be cell-phone towers. This was from the Dayton Mall exit (first exit north of I675) to past Middletown. Some of the towers didn't look like the typical cell-phone towers but they weren't high enough to be TV broadcast towers either though.

I'll be going up to UD arean and/or Nutter Center in the coming weeks for tournament Basketball. I'll look and see what the heck I was thinking about!

Thanks

See ya
Tony

Hello- I'm new here to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out? I have been a Dish Network customer for about 8 years now with no problems whatsoever with the Dish 500 that I installed. I am wanting to upgrade to HD and when I talked to the CSR at Dish she told me that as an existing customer I could get a VIP622 receiver but that they would have to add another dish to get the HD. I had already done my research on this and knew that there is a Dish 1000, 1000.2, and Superdish. The CSR thought I was crazy when I told her that Dish does in fact have a single dish that woudl be able to receive the HD. My question is, living in Cincinnati (45212), am I able to use this Dish 1000.2? I do have an unubstructed view of the sky and the Dish 500 is currently mounted above approximatley 11ft high onthe back of my house. I can go higher if needed as I live in a 3-story house. I just wanted to find out before I call back. Hopefully I will get someone who knows what there talking about. Thanks in advance. Rick
I live in cincinnati also 45239. Use this site it worked great for me.
Satellite Dish Pointer / Alignment Calculator with Google Maps. I found out with the tree in my neighbors yard where I had to put my dish. I am using a 1000.2.

As you pass the I675 overpass (when you go to UD Arena), you'll crest a hill near the St Rt 725 exit. When you're there, you'll have a perfect view of the Dayton towers to the north and slightly west. The towers are still a number of miles north and in fact, are almost due west of the UD Arena area.

I'm on the north end of Beavercreek which is northeast of the Dayton antenna farm. I'm still a new Dish customer (< 1 month) and have a 1000.2 pointed at 110, 119 and 129. I haven't had any problems with the exception of last week when we had that massive rainstorm come through. My dish is mounted near the peak of my roof to overcome a line of tall pines in the backyard. I use a cheap ($12.99) rabbit ears antenna from Radio Shack and pick up all the local OTA HD signals through my ViP 722 without a problem. According to AntennaWeb, the Dayton farm is almost exactly 10 miles from my house as the crow flies.

So far, I've been happy with Dish. TW was charging me an arm and a leg and they didn't have NBC HD or the Big Ten Network.

Welcome! Glad to hear you are having good reception up there in Beavercreek!

I may be up there at the NUT in a couple of weeks and might be able to check out reception from my production truck myself!

See ya
Tony