Dish 1000 is too weak for pacific coast

swade

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I was just installed with the mandatory dish 1000 with 622 DVR,

Like the others reporting on this set up, the new disk 1000 is too much of a compromise. The signal being only 75% on the weakest sat is too weak. In perfect sunny weather, HBO & Showtime are loosing reception for 2 minutes (goes to retrieving signal mode) all too frequently. A simple rain will wipe them off.

The only cure for this, it would seem would be 3 Dish 500. It would be nice if an amplifier could be added as a fix this but I don't think there is one out there.

I live in Elk Grove (Sacramento CA). The other issue I have is Ch 13 is not coming in from the Off the Air antenna. Previously with a 924, this came in fine.

I would be interested in hearing from others with this set up and the signal strength for each sat. :eek:

swade said:
The only cure for this, it would seem would be 3 Dish 500. It would be nice if an amplifier could be added as a fix this but I don't think there is one out there.

In order to "amplify" the signal just get bigger dishes. I use 24" dishes for 110 and 119 and a 30" for 129. Improves the signal about 15 points and rain fade is almost non-existant. Of course your mileage may vary.

jkinser said:
In order to "amplify" the signal just get bigger dishes. I use 24" dishes for 110 and 119 and a 30" for 129. Improves the signal about 15 points and rain fade is almost non-existant. Of course your mileage may vary.

Not to go away from the main post, but, why do you need such large dishes? I live in New Richmond, WI and get acceptable reception with the normal Dish 1000. We are not that much different in location. I just checked and I get 78 for the 129 on TP-13, which is totally acceptable, and 104 on 119 on TP-15, and 92 on 110 on TP-11. These are on the ViP-622. I get higher readings on my 510 off the same dish. Just wanted to know what prompted you to go with the big-guns.

Lyle

You may want to tweak your aiming. A dish 1000 on the west coast should come in fine. Now the east coast on the other hand...

Hi Swade,

I live in EG, also. 75 is about right on 129. 110 and 119 are in the 90's. I have not experienced any outages/drops, or rain fade. A repeak might be necessary.

"I live in Elk Grove (Sacramento CA). The other issue I have is Ch 13 is not coming in from the Off the Air antenna. Previously with a 924, this came in fine."

The problem with KOVR reception is KOVRs. Last year they were struck by lightning. SInce then, they have been having continuous problems that affect the way E* receivers (622, 211, 411, and 942) map the channel. It isn't a problem with the 921, D*, or C* receivers. The channel was unavailable for 4 days last week and since THursday this week. KOVR is working on it.

Scott

Parlyle said:
Not to go away from the main post, but, why do you need such large dishes? I live in New Richmond, WI and get acceptable reception with the normal Dish 1000. We are not that much different in location. I just checked and I get 78 for the 129 on TP-13, which is totally acceptable, and 104 on 119 on TP-15, and 92 on 110 on TP-11. These are on the ViP-622. I get higher readings on my 510 off the same dish. Just wanted to know what prompted you to go with the big-guns.

Lyle

Line of sight issues. I don't have a single spot where I can get a clear view through the neighbors trees. The only way I could accomplish hitting all three was by separating the orbital slots and hitting them from different dishes in different areas of my roof. Looks like a mess, but it is better than the crappy Mediacom cable we have here.

Decided to go with the bigger dishes just to buy time with respect to future tree growth. Gotta recoup the cost of all this equipment as I hate leasing.

Wait a minute... is 129 FFS?

It can't be. How come you're all talking about signal strengths of 75 with dish 1000? Shouldn't it be the same as 110 or 119, which are both DBS? Those are easy to get 100's on. I know I've gottan well over 90 on 129 with a D500...

Note: I've never done a D1000 install.

Zandarkoad,

"I know I've gottan well over 90 on 129 with a D500..."

It all depends on the location. Van has also reported 90s in Detroit but here in the West Coast you won't get anything over mid 70s (average) with a D500. You need a bigger dish like others have suggested and you can forget about getting a decent signal with a D1000 on 129.

jkinser said:
Line of sight issues. I don't have a single spot where I can get a clear view through the neighbors trees. The only way I could accomplish hitting all three was by separating the orbital slots and hitting them from different dishes in different areas of my roof. Looks like a mess, but it is better than the crappy Mediacom cable we have here.

Decided to go with the bigger dishes just to buy time with respect to future tree growth. Gotta recoup the cost of all this equipment as I hate leasing.

Understand.......... I had somewhat of an issue with the 129. My installer used his inclinometer and found one of my evergreens was in the way of sight. He said that he might put the dish up and see what readings he gets. Got a good reading and proceded to install the 1000. So even with the tree in somewhat of a blocking spot, readings were acceptable. Dumb luck, I guess.

Lyle

ZandarKoad said:
It can't be. How come you're all talking about signal strengths of 75 with dish 1000? Shouldn't it be the same as 110 or 119, which are both DBS? Those are easy to get 100's on. I know I've gottan well over 90 on 129 with a D500...

Note: I've never done a D1000 install.
NO...129 is weaker,in lots of areas, we'll here on the East Coast it is, not even with a D1000. One of the local installers told me that 65 was considered to be OK. My highest transponder is 80.

This is why people with the Atlanta HD locals were put on 129, not 61.5. We get incredible signal on 61.5; 125 on several transponders.

Channel 13

teachsac said:
Hi Swade,

I live in EG, also. 75 is about right on 129. 110 and 119 are in the 90's. I have not experienced any outages/drops, or rain fade. A repeak might be necessary.

"I live in Elk Grove (Sacramento CA). The other issue I have is Ch 13 is not coming in from the Off the Air antenna. Previously with a 924, this came in fine."

The problem with KOVR reception is KOVRs. Last year they were struck by lightning. SInce then, they have been having continuous problems that affect the way E* receivers (622, 211, 411, and 942) map the channel. It isn't a problem with the 921, D*, or C* receivers. The channel was unavailable for 4 days last week and since THursday this week. KOVR is working on it.

Scott

Let me know when you get ch 13 again. I did have a period a while ago when I had several days that Ch 13 was off using my 924. I never knew why.

I have been using my old voom box and it got Ch 13 a few days before my Thursday install of a 622. The voom box for some reason always had trouble with Ch 10 and still could not get it last week. My 924 and the 622 never had this problem.

I'm told the locals will be available for Sacramento now sometime in June or July but what I wanted to do is record up to 3 broadcast channels at once combining OTA with the SAT HD locals when they come out.

I wonder if anyone in the areas that now get HD locals & OTA have tried this successfully or not. Anyway the Ch 13 problem i guess goes away them.

Let me know when you get Ch 13 OTA again so I can try to get it locked up. It is funny the reading is 100% but can’t lock it in. My Email is wades@surewest.net or just leave a message on this sight.

Thanks

Wade
:cool:

Dish 1000

I am getting on transponder 11

129 west locked green status at 56-60

119 West locked green status at 85

110 west locked green status at 76

These seam low to me.

Software L356

Since Thursday 6/20 the history shows 2 signals loss that day

8 lost on 4/21 Friday

1 lost today

All this begs the question: is Dish *really* going to continue to uplink future HD to 129? With my recent 622 install I went without a D1000 upgrade in favor of keeping my 61.5 dish which gets great reception. I get all the current HD channels (no HD LiL in my area yet, but I get good OTA reception), and anticipate I'll be able to get HGTV-HD and StarzHD when they finally launch.

However, the agent I dealt with from CEO@E* said that future HD would "only" be on 129. This seems like an odd choice when so many people are having difficulty with that satellite, not to mention people in FL or New England who can't even see 129 at all.

What gives?

CDH.

swade said:
... what I wanted to do is record up to 3 broadcast channels at once combining OTA with the SAT HD locals when they come out.

I wonder if anyone in the areas that now get HD locals & OTA have tried this successfully or not.

No HD-LiL in my area yet, but I frequently record three programs at once: one OTA and two of the satellite, so with HD-LiL off the satellite you should be good to go! You can do all this and still watch something prerecorded off the DVR. I never use dual-mode, but it might be that you could watch two different pre-recorded programs while recording three shows at once!

CDH.

"is Dish *really* going to continue to uplink future HD to 129?"

I hope not. Like you said we have people with receptions problems in the West Coast and Atlanta and some others can't even see it. It will be dumb of E* to continue uplinking channels on 129 but only E* knows what their plans are.

RandallA said:
"is Dish *really* going to continue to uplink future HD to 129?"

I hope not. Like you said we have people with receptions problems in the West Coast and Atlanta and some others can't even see it. It will be dumb of E* to continue uplinking channels on 129 but only E* knows what their plans are.
perhaps they expect that Ceil's new satellite will have complete CONUS and solve the problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts