Dish 1000 on roof

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK GF waits a week to get Dish 1000 installed, have a old Dish 500 on roof now from previous owners. Dish Installer shows up and says Dish will no longer install Dishes over living spaces. What the F#ck?? Dish are idits, they say theyc an have a contractor come do it, but Dish will not be responsible? WOW Dish is really trying to loose new customers. My question, since the Dish 1000 is bigger, is the surface area of a Dish 1000 a problem mounted on a roof with wind? Ground mount is out due to LOS issues. If they are not goiing to do roof installs then they shoudl tell you that up front since majority of installs I see are roof mounted. Or should I look at DirecTV.

Anyone have Dish 1000 on a standard style roof? Any issues? So she goes another week without TV!! Love Charlie!!

Well, I'm an independent contractor, and a roof install over living space is the LAST place I'll install. But if that's the ONLY place so be it.
Hope you mean 1000.2 instead of 1000. The 1000 is a POS.
Call a local retailer..................
fred

Well, I'm an independent contractor, and a roof install over living space is the LAST place I'll install. But if that's the ONLY place so be it.
Hope you mean 1000.2 instead of 1000. The 1000 is a POS.
Call a local retailer..................
fred

I guess 1000.2, it will be brand new, it is whatever she needs for 110,119,129 and 118.7 it was a large dish, way bigger than all the neighbors DirecTV dishes.

Would she be better off with 2 dishes? There is already an older 500 on the roof now. I also know that 129 sucks so was thinking one dish for 110,119,118.7 and the other dedicated to 129.

I'm a little confused. What does "living area" have to do with anything on a roof install?

And, how does one tell the difference between a D1000 and a 1000.2?

I'm a little confused. What does "living area" have to do with anything on a roof install?

And, how does one tell the difference between a D1000 and a 1000.2?

The dish isn't supposed to be installed over a "living area" cause if it ever leaks... there are big problems. If you have to do a roof install... it should be done over the overhang, so that if it leaks, it leaks into the soffit and doesnt cause any real damage.

The Dish1000 has 2 seperate lnbs... a DPP Twin for 110/119 and a DP Single for 129.
The Dish1000.2 has a combined lnb for all 3

OK GF waits a week to get Dish 1000 installed, have a old Dish 500 on roof now from previous owners. Dish Installer shows up and says Dish will no longer install Dishes over living spaces. What the F#ck?? Dish are idits, they say theyc an have a contractor come do it, but Dish will not be responsible? WOW Dish is really trying to loose new customers. My question, since the Dish 1000 is bigger, is the surface area of a Dish 1000 a problem mounted on a roof with wind? Ground mount is out due to LOS issues. If they are not goiing to do roof installs then they shoudl tell you that up front since majority of installs I see are roof mounted. Or should I look at DirecTV.

Anyone have Dish 1000 on a standard style roof? Any issues? So she goes another week without TV!! Love Charlie!!

I deal with people like this all day long, what a total jacka$$..

Would she be better off with 2 dishes? There is already an older 500 on the roof now. I also know that 129 sucks so was thinking one dish for 110,119,118.7 and the other dedicated to 129.

Well depending where you live you could do a 500+ and then another 500 with I-adapter pointed at 61.5 or 129.

61.5 will give most people a more stable signal than 129 but you may loss an RSN going this route.

While I don;t want leaks and understand the concept, so woudl I be better off with a leak that I find quickly over my living space or on that rots a soffit for years that I never find? This is all funny, in C-Band days I live in NYC (Staten Island) and whlie the rest of the workd enjoyed cable, NYC was stuck in the politics of how to do cable so many of us had c-band dishes (11 foot!!) on our roofs!! Never had a leak, of course it was mounted far better than these Dish mounts are, so I am jut concerned how well these larger 1000 dishes hold up to wind load with that small single mast with probably only 2 screws hitting studs?

The dish 1000+ is still smaller than a slimline dish and leaks are really not an issue if the correct method is used. Not installing over a living area is just dishes way of saying if it leaks over a non living area you probually wont see it and not file a claim against us. When the lags are driving in the roof joists a sealant is used which prevents water from entering. Ive installed a few without sealant and never seen a drop when inspecting the shealthing in the attic even a few years later. I would call dish back up and get a second opinion. Its clear the first guy just didnt want to do the install.

OK install attempt #2 and I speak withthe dispatcher to make sure whoever they send will do a roof install, right! Guy shows up, sorry no roof install. Boy Dish really does not want any buiness. Called a 3rd contractor and they siad they don't do 1000 on roof, but will do 2 500's. Guess that will have to do, what a bunch of losers, I had a 11 foot c-band on my roof for years in high winds with no problems and these idiots can't do a 3 foot dish on a roof. If anyone knows a good contractor in Northern Metro Altanta I woudl like to gte a good Dish install.

People who follow rules... Sad, ain't it ?

Interesting that a 2nd and 3rd installer wouldn't do it either.

The 2nd was a Dish installer so they report through same people and bascially won't do roof installs, not sure why they sent him when I told them over the phone it was a roof install. The 3rd woudl do 500 on roof, not 1000+. I think these guys all are scared and really to me it says they are not good installers. My guess is a good installer woudl have no issue doing it, they all just want the quick and easy low risk install.

The 2nd was a Dish installer so they report through same people and bascially won't do roof installs, not sure why they sent him when I told them over the phone it was a roof install. The 3rd woudl do 500 on roof, not 1000+. I think these guys all are scared and really to me it says they are not good installers. My guess is a good installer woudl have no issue doing it, they all just want the quick and easy low risk install.

If they have a local QC GUY that will fail the job if it's installed on the roof, that means the installer won't get paid. Would you do work if you knew you would not get paid?

If they have a local QC GUY that will fail the job if it's installed on the roof, that means the installer won't get paid. Would you do work if you knew you would not get paid?

The point is Dish is being dumb with this no roof policy. They want easy installs for themselves and then let harder installs go to subs that have to work harder for the money and assume the risk. We finally got a good installer to come out and he added a second dish ont he roof so between the 2 dishes we get 61.5, 110, 119 and 129. Seems to cover the HD stuff, and the International package we wanted. They were done in less than an hour. And The Dish installers lied, they kept telling their main office there was no line of sight. Funny there is nothing between the roof and the sky and the signal strength on all the birds is up around 84-90. Also Dish customer service sucks, I called Directv for pricing and and stuff a few times recently and they all spoke English and were very nice, not the Dish reps. Basically if DirecTV gets an HD only package and maybe a better DVR I'll dump Dish in a second.

The point is Dish is being dumb with this no roof policy. They want easy installs for themselves and then let harder installs go to subs that have to work harder for the money and assume the risk. We finally got a good installer to come out and he added a second dish ont he roof so between the 2 dishes we get 61.5, 110, 119 and 129. Seems to cover the HD stuff, and the International package we wanted. They were done in less than an hour. And The Dish installers lied, they kept telling their main office there was no line of sight. Funny there is nothing between the roof and the sky and the signal strength on all the birds is up around 84-90. Also Dish customer service sucks, I called Directv for pricing and and stuff a few times recently and they all spoke English and were very nice, not the Dish reps. Basically if DirecTV gets an HD only package and maybe a better DVR I'll dump Dish in a second.

So basically if a CSR doesn't have an American accent, the "...service sucks..."?

So basically if a CSR doesn't have an American accent, the "...service sucks..."?

No, but clearly dish has sub par over seas agents that barely speak english and have poor customer service, DirecTV agents I spoke with spoke clear english (probably better than me) and had way better customer service skills. Dish clearly has a more adversarial stance with customers over all, thats not to say Dish does not have good CSRs, I just know of my sampling (porbably a dozen calls in the last 2 weeks to get this install done) that dish CSRs spoke more broken English, were less helpful and refused to esclate issues more. Sure DirecTV mare have their share of idits too, but I hit far more bad Dish CSRs than with DirecTV.

129 is not really available for Staten Island (officially). You really only need 61.5, 110 and 119. Also read about Eastern Arc coming later this year.

I have had a 1000 installed by Dish on my roof since it came out with no problems. I guess Dish had problems with roof mounts somewhere.