Dish 1080P

azfrankp

Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Phoenix
Has anyone heard when Dish or Direct TV for that matter will start broadcasting in 1080P? I didn't notice a big difference until I installed my theater room with a 108" screen. My HD and Blu-Ray DVD's are far superior to HD broadcast, especially when there is a lot of action.

Thanks,

Unless your projector isn't de-interlacing properly, the reduced quality is due to the Dish channels being compressed more, not due to being 1080i instead of 1080p. If they ever would go to 1080p (which would require somebody feeding them 1080p programs to begin with), they still might compress it too much to look clean on a screen that big. Unless they suddenly acquire enough transponders to provide all channels at their original bitrate of course, but more likely they'd just fill them up with more channels you don't watch.

Thanks, Scott. I'm assumming there is a plan to do it some day from an email response I received from a Charlie Chat session. They were very vague on the timing and you just confirmed why.

Thanks for the info.

I don't see it happenning for another 4 to 5 years. Providers are looking for more bandwidth for 1080i. Not even thinking about the monster 1080p.

They need stupid amount of bandwidth to broadcast shows in 1080p.
Also I dubt any companies will be broadcasting their show in 1080p in another 5 years at least.
For now the only source of true 1080p is Blu-ray and HD-DVD (HD-DVD lost the war).
So might as well buy a blu-ray player or a Playstation 3 if you want to watch movies in 1080p.

I read somewhere that since everyone's (broadcasters that is) their equipment over to 720p or 1080i, spending millions in the process, they'll probably not turn around right away and ditch it to spend even more millions to move up to 1080p. So basically, they thought, if it happens it'll be a long time down the road.

Why couldn't some future Dish receiver simply scale the signal before sending it to the outputs? I don't see the need for anyone to broadcast in 1080P. DVD players can scale 480i to 480p. Should be a trivial matter for sat boxes to scale too.

I would expect 1080p to eventually show up for PPV movies and events, but most regular networks will never move to it. Perhaps ESPN or some other network which might actually benefit from it, as well as having the clout to actually get MSOs to carry it.

It's too bad that so many people are going out and spending a lot more money on an HD set with 1080p for dish/direct hd. they could save a lot of money and go with other hd formats, but you know the guys at best buy/circuit city would never tell them that.

What about the possibility of local channels broadcasting in 1080p? Does that seem more realistic that we could get that ota in the near future?

Why couldn't some future Dish receiver simply scale the signal before sending it to the outputs? I don't see the need for anyone to broadcast in 1080P. DVD players can scale 480i to 480p. Should be a trivial matter for sat boxes to scale too.

You're 1080p TV already has this functionality.

I'd like to see dish just get to 1920x1080 with less compression (I believe they are currently at 1440x1080 or less).

(I'd like to see dish just get to 1920x1080 with less compression (I believe they are currently at 1440x1080 or less).[/QUOTE]

DITTO!!!!

You're 1080p TV already has this functionality.

I'd like to see dish just get to 1920x1080 with less compression (I believe they are currently at 1440x1080 or less).

EXACTLY......All of us with 1080p sets (or a quality scaler) that can properly deinterlace 1080i material are indeed watching true 1080P...

Granted....nothing D* or E* or the broadcast nets will ever do will ever looking as good as HDM as they dont have the bandwidth.

It certainly looks better than the 720P, HD-Lites and the bits starved broadcast the many get today.

What about the possibility of local channels broadcasting in 1080p? Does that seem more realistic that we could get that ota in the near future?
NO. Local stations are dragging their feet just to get local production up to present HD. They will never spend the money because there is no pay-back from it.

They don't have the bandwidth. The OTA standard limits them to 1080i, 6Mhz and mpeg2.

That standard may change as broadcasters look more into the MPEG-4 formats available. However, it will be years before they implement them (as far as regular broadcasting stations are concerned).

However, Dish COULD potentially broadcast some of their own content in 1080p. They may sooner than we think if they want to get more into "on-demand" services (to compete with other "movies and television on-demand" products that are coming this year in 1080p).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)