Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this... Maybe we won't see the Dish 1000.2 after all.

129 Orbital in select DMA’s in Oregon and Washington

Beginning September 12, 2006, we will have a new solution for both new customers activating with DishHD or existing customers who want to upgrade to DishHD programming in certain DMAs in Washington and Oregon. The preferred installation will be a DISH 500 and a stand-alone 24” dish pointed to the 129 orbital location to view DishHD.

For New Customers, create your promotional agreement and we will identify eligible subscribers and reimburse for the necessary antenna and related electronics.

For Existing Customers upgrading to DishHD, they may participate either in DISH'n It Up, the Additional Antenna promotion, or the Purchased Receiver Antenna Upgrade.

The eligible DMAs include:

*Seattle
*Portland
*Yakima
*Eugene
*Bend
*Medford
*Spokane

For further details, be sure to watch the Retailer Chat on September 12, 2006 at 12 noon Eastern Time

This is good news, Scott. But I have more problems with low signal on 110 lately. Even though the signal strength on 129 is around 50-60 on most transponders, I don't have the drop-outs I do on 110. We have a DISH 500 on 110/119 & another DISH 500 for 129.

I've been calling Dish about once a week to tell them I'm having trouble with 129. I think I paid 100.00 to get 2 500's. I hope I don't have to pay anything more. Especially not knowing if the bigger dish will really solve the problem. That said, I'm glad something is being done.

PeggyD, what transponders on 110 are you having problems with?

i also already have 2 dish 500s and i can't get better than the 40s on mine. is the 24 inch dish suposed to be better than a dish 500?

They posted this late this evening so I only skimmed over the title. So, the 24" dish they're talking about is the D1000, right? So the customer would get a D1000 for 129 and a D500 for 110/119 installed. Ok..., aren't people doing this already? The cost differential between a D1000 and D500 is only like $10 so I'm sure some retailers have done this setup for customers willing to pay for the 2nd dish instead of getting 1 free Dish1000.

cebbigh said:
PeggyD, what transponders on 110 are you having problems with?

I think it's 13 on 110, HD PPV that has MLB EI in HD. It's so bad I have to watch the SD feed. Tonight, the Dodges/Brewers game was a bit better, but still breaking up. My son tried "tweaking" the dish & the signal is now in the 50s where it was in the mid-40s before. The only other one I've had a problem with in ESPN & I can't remember if it was ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD. I know they're on different sats.

I did have some problems with KOMO HD a couple of months ago, but not lately. Since I'm off work tomorrow, I'll do some checking & report back.

PeggyD said:
I think it's 13 on 110, HD PPV that has MLB EI in HD. It's so bad I have to watch the SD feed. Tonight, the Dodges/Brewers game was a bit better, but still breaking up. My son tried "tweaking" the dish & the signal is now in the 50s where it was in the mid-40s before. The only other one I've had a problem with in ESPN & I can't remember if it was ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD. I know they're on different sats.

I did have some problems with KOMO HD a couple of months ago, but not lately. Since I'm off work tomorrow, I'll do some checking & report back.

I can't check my numbers now but will be able to tomorrow (after work). The last time I checked was a couple of weeks ago and the lowest numbers were in the 70's but I think most were in the 80's (spotbeams above 100). About a year ago I was getting signals in the 60's and after reporting it to dish they sent someone out to adjust at no charge. If you can't tweak higher than the 50's, I think you should make a few calls to the tech line so they have a record of it. Then keep on them to get it fixed.

9/7
My TP 13 was above 80 when I checked this afternoon. All numbers looked fine except for TP 3 which was my worst by far at 60. Unless 110 has gone to fluctuating signal like 129 you should be getting much better numbers. It has to be misalignment, bad wiring/connections or something obstructing your line of site.

Last edited:
SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
They posted this late this evening so I only skimmed over the title. So, the 24" dish they're talking about is the D1000, right? So the customer would get a D1000 for 129 and a D500 for 110/119 installed. Ok..., aren't people doing this already? The cost differential between a D1000 and D500 is only like $10 so I'm sure some retailers have done this setup for customers willing to pay for the 2nd dish instead of getting 1 free Dish1000.

I hope it isn't the existing 1000. I was told by my installer you get a stronger signal with a dedicated 500 over a dedicated 1000. Is the 1000 considered a 24" dish?

24 inches of... ?

When I read 24", I took that to be the old 24 they had many years ago, both in the US and in Canada.
Looked just like a Dish 300, only bigger.
There's nothing about the Dish 1000 that would be useful for this application, IMO.

Does anyone have an actual picture?

I wonder how well Dish has tested this solution.

While a 24" will be better than a I-adapter on a D500, I'd be surprised if it were a LOT better. I'd guess maybe 10-12 points better, but perhaps I'm underestimating it.

bigger is better; BIGGEST is BEST

Yea, I wanted to say the same thing.

I use to talk to the Canadians who were having trouble with their birds...
They often put up 24's to get a bit better signal than a 500...
But the more I watched and listened , the more I realized that it was a half-assed solution.

They really should be using 32's and 36's if they wanted a significant gain.
The 24's only give you a few points... not nearly the boost you need if you have rain, trees, weak satellites, etc.

Of course, how many in the NW would put up a dish that big? :)
They look like FTA dishes.....'cause they are !

Tom Bombadil said:
... a I-adapter on a D500...

What is this, and is there a picture of it somewhere?

I have an unused D500 that I'm considering putting up for 129. I don't need both lnbs on it, just the one for 129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts