Dish 2 Year Contract

mrhermit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Florida
I don't know if this is been discussed before, but if I'm a long time dish customer who is no longer under contract, and wants to upgrade to the new Hopper/Joey system, I now have to commit to a new two-year contract.
So to me, adding a new contract should mean that I am a new customer, and therefore I should get the new customer discounts.

Apparently Dish doesn't see it that way.

Does anyone know why Dish doesn't give the new customer discount with the new two year contract?

Because you're not a new customer anymore. You are now under Dish's existing customer upgrade system. Two sets of rules.

If you're chasing new customer promotions, it might be easier to switch to another provider where you are a new customer

If you're looking for new customer pricing you will have to cancel your service, wait 90 days & then sign back up.

Your mistake, to answer your question is you are equating a two year contract being tied to a new customer. It's not, in your case it's tied to the upgrade to new equipment, and whatever other costs there is to Dish. Two different reasons for a two year contract.

the only way you will get a new customer discount is to go to directv for two years and then come back.
That is not the only way. There are numerous ways, but I'll just list a couple:

Go to cable with no contract for 3 months, and then switch back to Dish.
Go OTA only for those 3 months instead.

you may also want to be aware that the cost of the hopper and joey monthly fees are going up. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/309406-Fees-increasing

just an fyi since Dish hasn't publicly announced it anywhere. I figured I should mention it since you're concerned about costs.

Yes, I knew about the price increase. I looks like it will increase my Americas 120 package $14.00 extra a month. I also found out to get the Hopper with Sling, it is an extra up front $100.00 fee. Not a real dealer killer but I will probably wait until the increase is official before making a decision.

What you need to remember, you are subscribing to Dish for their services. You abide by their rules, you may not think that is should be that way, but it is Dish's equipment.

Not the two Hoppers that I purchased!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yes, I knew about the price increase. I looks like it will increase my Americas 120 package $14.00 extra a month. I also found out to get the Hopper with Sling, it is an extra up front $100.00 fee. Not a real dealer killer but I will probably wait until the increase is official before making a decision.
I think you may be confused. Programming packages are not going up and since I get the impression you do not yet have a Hopper(s), you will not have any increase at all.

That is not the only way. There are numerous ways, but I'll just list a couple:

Go to cable with no contract for 3 months, and then switch back to Dish.
Go OTA only for those 3 months instead.

I had looked to going to Comcast. They have a better channel package then Dish for less money, but their new X1 Xnfinity DVR sounds kind of pathetic.
I went to my local Comcast store and found out that you can not pause live TV on the second TV. You also can not delete or add programs from the second TV. This can only be done on the TV hooked up to the DVR, or you can use a cell phone or a tablet with the Comcast app. It supposedly will record 3 shows at once while watching 1 live program or just to surf channels which would be nice. After 6 months the discount go away and their price gets a bit high. Also the reviews on the X1 have not been to positive. The only real positive of going to Comcast is there is no 2 year contract that Dish requires for upgrading.

OTA won't work because my wife would not be able to record Jeopardy each day.

I think you may be confused. Programming packages are not going up and since I get the impression you do not yet have a Hopper(s), you will not have any increase at all.

Sorry for the bit of confusion. I meant the whole package for the Hopper upgrade would cost an extra $14.00. The programing would stay the same.
I knew the programing would not be affected. They already raised the price a few months ago.

Sorry for the bit of confusion. I meant the whole package for the Hopper upgrade would cost an extra $14.00. The programing would stay the same.
I knew the programing would not be affected. They already raised the price a few months ago.
With TWO Hoppers, the increase would be $11.00. One Hopper, $4.00.

I just called them and they gave me a great deal. It was a little more than the new customer but only like 7 dollars. The new customer only get that 7 dollar credit for the protection plan for 4 months so it equated to $28 more!

I like dish better than Directv! Wish we had Fuel in HD though!

the only way you will get a new customer discount is to go to directv for two years and then come back.
Not necessarily so. I have been with dish for 10 years now. I was out of contract when I called in February this year to upgrade to the h/j system. Told them I was going to switch to Direct. Talked to retention, they gave me a deal of 1H/1HWS & 2 joeys with NO upfront charge. Just a new 2 year contract. Love the new equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts