DISH 2016 CES Press Event

The Joey2, formally called Joey CR is simply any regular Joey manufactured for the last year and a half. It has an upgraded processor over the original Joey. Currently there is no way to request a Joey2 since the Dish System treats both as a standard Joey. That may change when the Hopper3 is released. The Super Joey is entirely different as it contain two additional tuners for the Hopper's use.

Also, there is a Joey that has yet to be released for production, and that is the 4K Joey. It was announced and shown last year, but will be coming out this month.

The Joey2, formally called Joey CR is simply any regular Joey manufactured for the last year and a half. It has an upgraded processor over the original Joey. Currently there is no way to request a Joey2 since the Dish System treats both as a standard Joey. That may change when the Hopper3 is released. The Super Joey is entirely different as it contain two additional tuners for the Hopper's use.
Is there any way you can tell the difference between the original and Joey 2?

Make sure there is open space on both sides of the Hopper as thats where the fan and intake vents are. If the Hopper is shoved tight to one side, it will overheat.

Interesting. One side is clear but the other side has the Wii pretty close to it. I'll move that and might even take off the glass doors. Thanks.

For some reason when I signed up last month I got the Joey 1. No wonder it is so slow. Why not just give me the two. The tech said my hopper was a brand new one and that some changes to pricing and things were coming Jan 14. He had the new layout and was beta testing things on his hopper and said it crashed all of the time. He also put hybrid Lnb up. I want the hopper 3, a csr told me my hopper would be able to do 4K. She had no clue apparently and was just saying things. Obviously i hadn't found this forum by then...

For some reason when I signed up last month I got the Joey 1. No wonder it is so slow. Why not just give me the two.

Because sadly...

...up until now, there has been no way to distinguish between the original Joey (now called 1.0) and the "Joey CR" that had the upgraded processor, which will now be called "Joey 2.0". There were no changes to the case, model number, or anything originally up until now. Sounds like NOW they are working on a way to distinguish the "2.0" such that it can be ordered/installed with the H3. I don't think any of us knows yet how they plan to distinguish them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You will not need any more cabling than what you already have. There is only one cable from the dish to the hub, which would be located at your hub area. From there you have one cable each to your receivers. Your Super Joey will have to be replaced by a Joey.

Awesome thank you for the info! I knew I would hear it from my significant other if they had to drill into the house! Can't wait to get the H3.

Sounds like NOW they are working on a way to distinguish the "2.0" such that it can be ordered/installed with the H3.
The newer Joey has been out for quite a while now but as you say, there's no obvious indication of it vs the older one. Unless Dish produces both models -- very unlikely -- one could go by the production date, which I do believe is on the outside label of the packaging (box). If it was produced in Dec, Nov, etc, even up to last June, it's most likely the newer model.

Dish can certainly track them by serial # as they know when the new model began production.

On a related note, does Dish refurbish Joeys, at least non-SuperJoeys or wireless ones ? Seems as though they may be so inexpensive that they may not. On the other hand, they're so simple in design and seem to not fail too often, that they're perfect candidates for re-use.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Scott, is the 2.0 Joey different from the Super Joey?
The Joey 2.0 (or Joey CR if you prefer) doesn't have satellite tuners in it and presumably, the Super Joey isn't compatible with the Hopper 3 and the Joey 2.0 is. Whether or not the Super Joey supports MoCA 2.0 or DPZ doesn't much matter if DISH won't allow it.

I've actually had two HDDs fail and the latest replacement has been buzzing something fierce (which now won't be a problem because I intend to switch to the H3). Each time they didn't stop dead, there were warning signs that enabled me time to back everything up. And for the few days it took DIRT to get a new one in my hands between watching live and On Demand it really wasn't as big a deal as I made it up to be in my mind. Totally agree, why spend the money even if on the lease the net difference is only $2.

You know what would be great, an auto backup to external HDD option!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)