Dish 2022-23 Price Increase

The one thing I wish was better with the streaming services is if all the shows were there...one of the shows I DVR is Young Sheldon, but Paramount+ doesn't have previous seasons, and will only keep the last 6-8 episodes of the current season available, and as the season goes along, the older episodes roll off. Two and a Half Men was on CBS, but nowhere to be seen on Paramount+. (unless I am totally missing something, which could be the case! I have free Paramount+ through T-Mobile, so that could be clouding my experience)
That is because those shows are owned by Warner Brothers, not Paramount, who only has certain rights to show on P+.

Past Seasons of Young Sheldon are on HBO MAX, owned by Warner.
All that to say - even as an avid Dish supporter, these price increases are really hard to swallow. And I don't see a lot of added value, rather, decreased value as channels shut down.
I feel this way about all Live TV providers, less and less new content, yet the price keeps going up, not just Dish, but all of them.

Once Football Season is done, I have already decided to drop YTTV, tired of even paying for that at $65 for just Live National News and the Big Ten Channel, all other shows on Traditional Channels I watch on the streaming services.

Thinking about Sling for National News, peeved I will have to pay $35 for that, but no other options.

Next year, Big Ten Football will be on Peacock, Paramount+ and Fox, NFL Sunday Ticket will be streaming, already get the Detroit Tigers via the MLB App and the Red Wings via ESPN+, so sports are handled.

All that to say - even as an avid Dish supporter, these price increases are really hard to swallow. And I don't see a lot of added value, rather, decreased value as channels shut down.
Recounting what I've put up in a prior thread, Dish as a mediator does make a compelling argument against broadcasters increasing costs while decreasing quality and offerings, even though they're pretty much taking the most dire actions while expressing this which is hurting their bottom line..

Deviating from Dish itself for a bit and speaking of the industry as a whole, the current broadcaster/studio's ulterior motive seems to obviously be breaking this content delivery model, gradually and painfully pushing people to cord cut and pursue OTT solutions directly offered by the studios.

There once was a time during the early 20th century or so where each studio ran their own chain of cinemas till that got cracked down by around the 40s or 50s, so this is just harkening a century old tale but in need of an antitrust case with the context of the modern internet era.

Mind you, Netflix is in the same boat as Dish and all the service providers (excluding comcast cus monopoly), in particular they had a slew of content before they had to rely on their in-house offerings as studios went direct OTT on their own accord and licensing became too expensive.

Imagine pay TV packages but it's per studio and not per genre or other set of content. Direct-from-studio is the new game being played, and it's not looking pretty. Not to Dish, not to Netflix, and sure as hell not even to the customer either as content from these direct platforms may be limited in terms of back catalog for all we know.

Reactions: TheKrell
Does anyone need a OTA Recorder anymore?
I am unable to tolerate ads. Any streaming service that has unskipable ads does not get a sub from me. Now, the only one you mention that I now sub to is Paramount+, and they annoy me by advertising shows I don't watch at the beginning of the show I want to watch.

With a Hopper, I can watch all the OTA broadcasters for free, and even let it skip the ads automatically.

Reactions: peggy97850 and N6BY
I am unable to tolerate ads. Any streaming service that has unskipable ads does not get a sub from me. Now, the only one you mention that I now sub to is Paramount+, and they annoy me by advertising shows I don't watch at the beginning of the show I want to watch.
I do not mind the promo ads on Paramount+ , never would of discovered The Offer ( and other programs) without them, great show.

All of the other services I sub to, Hulu, Disney, etc are all commercial free.
With a Hopper, I can watch all the OTA broadcasters for free, and even let it skip the ads automatically.
Same for me watching them on streaming services.

I have been slowly adding some more streaming services being my contract runs out in January. I have an OTA antenna also that works great except when it is stormy. If I don't get a good enough deal I will go to a lower priced plan and stream more. My SIL just got renewed at an lower price than what they were paying for the same plan.
I will need to factor in how much an OTA recorder and guide would cost if I completely drop Dish.
Look at this site for the TABLO ota dvr. It has 4 tuners and you can use all 4 at one time and I've have had one for the last four years and it works like a charm and is very reliable. I like it better than the Air tv anywhere ota dvr I use with Sling tv. I have a lifetime guide subscription that gives you two weeks of guide. It also has dolby digital sound too.

www.tablotv.com

I try to DVR everything with ads. So many of the breaks are now at 5 minutes. Last year they were 4 minutes. Too many ads. Without a DVR, I would never have Dish today. Years ago with 3 minutes breaks it was better, but now often 1/2 news and 1/2 ads and promos. I know people that just sub to the Movie packs. I am on the 2-year contract, and that runs out in a year. At that time, I will once again looks at it hard. I used to watch a lot of movies on TCM, but since other streaming services have come up, TCM does not have access to the library they once had. It is getting to the point, that even with the discounts, it isn't worth it. I'll keep Dish probably as I do have access to the Super Stations, etc, but may just cut down to a small package. I do have 36 OTA offerings too. Add to that the Fire Cube & Roku. I also have a large DVD collection.

Look at this site for the TABLO ota dvr. It has 4 tuners and you can use all 4 at one time and I've have had one for the last four years and it works like a charm and is very reliable. I like it better than the Air tv anywhere ota dvr I use with Sling tv. I have a lifetime guide subscription that gives you two weeks of guide. It also has dolby digital sound too.

www.tablotv.com
Its good but they no longer offer the option to purchase a lifetime guide subscription.

But you can get used lifetime guide OTA TiVos fairly inexpensively on eBay.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Its good but they no longer offer the option to purchase a lifetime guide subscription.
Glad I bought mine when I could.
But you can get used lifetime guide OTA TiVos fairly inexpensively on eBay.
The problem with Tivo is you can only use it on one TV unless you buy more devices and they are not cheap

Tablo, all you do is connect it to your router, wired or wireless, and every TV in your house can get the content, as long as the TV/Streaming Device has the Tablo app.

Glad I bought mine when I could.

The problem with Tivo is you can only use it on one TV unless you buy more devices and they are not cheap

Tablo, all you do is connect it to your router, wired or wireless, and every TV in your house can get the content, as long as the TV/Streaming Device has the Tablo app.
I found a lifetime TiVo at Good Will for about $10. And you can get them on eBay for around $100.

I'm still using my 15 year old TiVo series 3 that I bought about 15 years ago. But I have had to replace the hard drive a couple of times.

Tablo guide service is about $50 a year. So you can pay a few hundred now or pay $50 per year for the rest of your life (unless you are lucky and are grandfathered in).

But this is all subject to change as ATSC 3.0 is now in a majority of TV markets. Broadcasters have to continue offering ATSC 1.0 for 5 years after they begin simulcasting ATSC 3.0.

... Still waiting for an ATSC 3.0 DVR that will plug into an HDMI port. (As of this writing, Tablo still has not released theirs after many months of delays).

Flex Pack? No thanks. Too expensive and I can get all of those channels much cheaper by streaming thru legal and "questionably legal" means.
The cost of flex pack (without any addons) back in 2018 from what i've researched was $35/month, factor in fees taxes etc that would be right around $40. It's on track to being double that now with these price increases.. With fees, at the moment it's already pushing to $65...

disney and local stations right now:
Steve Urkel Oops GIF

• Sad
My gawd! Welcome Pack is OMG!!! :eeek

That used to be a good deal if one supplemented properly, but $50 for welcome pack, when Flex is just $8 more?! I think it tells ya just how much locals are costing these days.
For me, Flex will be $15.00 more. I did a two year commit deal in Jan. 2021.

Flex Pack? No thanks. Too expensive and I can get all of those channels much cheaper by streaming thru legal and "questionably legal" means.
Questionably legal? Nice spin. Flex is the best package, dollar for dollar out there in Cable/Sat. The fact I have been able to subscribe to ESPN for a single day or a long weekend is remarkably unusual and awesome. And unquestionably legal.

All CBS shows are on Paramount+, NBC on Peacock, Fox on Hulu, if you get those 3 services, you get the shows on Live TV plus the exclusives.
What is the monthly price of Paramount+, Peacock, and Hulu?
P+ $9.99, Hulu $12.99, Peacock $9.99 or $33. per month is not that cheap, assuming that are the only streaming services that you have. What else do you have?

Last edited:
What is the monthly price of Paramount+, Peacock, and Hulu?
P+ $9.99, Hulu $12.99, Peacock $9.99 or $33. per month is not that cheap, assuming that are the only streaming services that you have. What else do you have?

Hulu Commercial Free bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+-$19.99 a month
Peacock-paid $29.99 for the year Commercial Free ( Black Friday sale) last year in November , just received a offer to renew for a year at Commercial Free at $50, will accept, so $4.17 a month
Paramount+-$129 a year for Commercial Free and with Showtime, so $10.75 a month
AMC+-$30 for the year( also discounted, up next summer)
HBOMAX-$149 a year, so $12.42 a month
Netflix-$19.99 a month

So basically $70 a month.

No Live TV anymore, just OTA and the free News Services like CBS, ABC News apps.

Except Netflix, Hulu and Paramount is paid for with Gift Cards that I get with my Credit Card Points, so real cost is $209 a year, roughly a tad over $17 a month

Hulu Commercial Free bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+-$19.99 a month
Peacock-paid $29.99 for the year Commercial Free ( Black Friday sale) last year in November , just received a offer to renew for a year at Commercial Free at $50, will accept, so $4.17 a month
Paramount+-$129 a year for Commercial Free and with Showtime, so $10.75 a month
AMC+-$30 for the year( also discounted, up next summer)
HBOMAX-$149 a year, so $12.42 a month
Netflix-$19.99 a month

So basically $70 a month.

No Live TV anymore, just OTA and the free News Services like CBS, ABC News apps.

Except Netflix, Hulu and Paramount is paid for with Gift Cards that I get with my Credit Card Points, so real cost is $209 a year, roughly a tad over $17 a month
$70 per month is $70 per month. Credit Card points can be spent on things that you need, so that ahould not be counted as FREE money. $70 is more than I pay for Dish's Welcome pack.

$70 per month is $70 per month. Credit Card points can be spent on things that you need, so that ahould not be counted as FREE money. $70 is more than I pay for Dish's Welcome pack.
True, but that includes HBO, Showtime, Disney, ESPN+ and AMC, all of that content is not part of the Welcome Pack.

If you just want the content from the Broadcast Channels, it would be a lot less expensive, closer to under $30, even at normal price it would be under $35 ( which also includes the exclusive streaming shows), new price for the Welcome Pack is $50.

I found a lifetime TiVo at Good Will for about $10. And you can get them on eBay for around $100.

I'm still using my 15 year old TiVo series 3 that I bought about 15 years ago. But I have had to replace the hard drive a couple of times.

Tablo guide service is about $50 a year. So you can pay a few hundred now or pay $50 per year for the rest of your life (unless you are lucky and are grandfathered in).

But this is all subject to change as ATSC 3.0 is now in a majority of TV markets. Broadcasters have to continue offering ATSC 1.0 for 5 years after they begin simulcasting ATSC 3.0.

... Still waiting for an ATSC 3.0 DVR that will plug into an HDMI port. (As of this writing, Tablo still has not released theirs after many months of delays).
From what I read they are waiting on releasing them until there is a national standard encryption matrix that everyone will use for ATSC 3.0. There are many versions and every company wants to use a different one. Kind of reminds me of the Beta vs VCR war on which format would win in the 80s and the Blu-Ray vs High Def DVD we went through in the 2000s.

From what I read they are waiting on releasing them until there is a national standard encryption matrix that everyone will use for ATSC 3.0. There are many versions and every company wants to use a different one. Kind of reminds me of the Beta vs VCR war on which format would win in the 80s and the Blu-Ray vs High Def DVD we went through in the 2000s.
According to what I just read, encryption will render all existing ATSC 3.0 receivers useless: ATSC 3.0 stumbles again - The Solid Signal Blog . Tablo says it will not be possible to download a software update with encryption keys. Its something that has to be done in the factory. So I understand why Tablo is waiting, but it could be a very long wait!

I wonder what SiliconDust and ATSC 3.0 capable TV manufacturers are going to do when encryption starts?