dish 300 @ 119 - need replacement receiver

windingroads

Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Hello,
I had Dish Network about ten years ago. Cable tv came along with a great offer, so I jumped. I had paid for equipment and installation of the dish so i own it and stored it in the attic.
When cable rates jumped , so did I, back to dish.
The older equipment. (300 dish) would not allow for locals but thats ok, I have rabbit ears. Last week I bought an hdtv and get locals ( in digital and free hd) But then my receiver was the victim of a spill and no longer works.
I can't get local with my dish - thats ok
I can't get hd with my dish - not on sat 119 - thats ok too
I just want a receiver that will work - on my one tv with the old dish
Where can I just buy one - I have a blue (and yellow) card.
Will one from ebay work?
Dish and radio shack have catches - I feel the decision I made 10 years ago to own has paid off.
If anyone has advice or could link me to a thread I would be greatful.

Used SD receivers are pretty cheap on Ebay. Last year I got a refurbished 625 for $75 plus shipping. Any receiver you buy outright does not require a commitment. Just be sure to get the receiver number and check with Dish to make sure it's (1) not leased and (2) carries no balance.

And I know you didn't mention this but I would really encourage you to get a Dish 500 and twin LNB. This gets you most of what Dish has to offer in standard definition.

You can get one pretty cheap on eBay. You should get a decent deal on a 301 or a 311. Your cards probably are useless to yourself, but you could sell them on eBay as well. I don't know their value, but "some" cards are a hot ticket for folks interested in illegal hacking activities.

Thanks for the responses.
I'm not sure what you mean by the cards being no good. DN sent the card when I re-activated my account.
I was hoping to get a free and clear receiver and plug in my (dish networks) card and have my dish network programming.
I also wanted to know if i could dvr? i know it's $5/mo but i think it's worth it.

Every receiver that I ever bought on eBay (two 301's & two 311's) either had internal cards or the card came with the unit. As far as the dvr question goes, I'm not qualified to answer 'cause I've never owned one.
I'm sure someone with dvr knowledge will chime in. :)

The 501, 508 and 721 do not have the DVR fee. The other DVRs do and that's $5.98. So if you buy a 510, it will cost you $5.00 +$5.98 = $10.98 to activate that receiver.

The cards are married to the receiver so it won't do you any good unless it's used for illegal activities. Each receiver has its own card.

The least expensive receiver I'd buy, myself, would be a brand new in box 311. There would be no card issues with a 311, since the card is built in.

Just make sure that it is not leased or has any balance owed on it.

I was hoping to get a free and clear receiver and plug in my (dish networks) card and have my dish network programming.
I sure hope you aren't talking about a FTA receiver...

Assuming you have a single receiver now and legitimately subscribe to Dish programming, you can swap that receiver (dead or alive) out for another one at zero cost, other than the purchase price (if any) for the new receiver. If somebody gives you a working Dish receiver for $0, then it's truly free for you to get your programming back again. Forget about the existing card in your dead receiver. It is worthless other than to hackers, and you'll get another one with your replacement receiver.

If you want to add a 2nd receiver to your account, you can do so at a cost of $5/month. All receivers on your account get the same programming. A better option is to buy a dual tuner receiver. If you keep it connected to a phone line, that's a great deal because you can drive 2 TVs independently with one receiver, without incurring the additional receiver fee.

If you want to swap out your dead receiver for a DVR receiver, there may be a DVR fee ($6/mo) for most DVRs. Exceptions are grandfathered: 501, 508, 721, and the 7100/7200 DishPlayers. In December, Dish was dumping 510's for $29, but I don't think you can get that deal any longer, plus it incurs the DVR fee. If you want a newer DVR with a fee, you can avoid this fee with certain programming packages: one of the DVR Advantage plans, or America's Everything Pack.

I still recommend going the extra mile and installing a Dish 500 for 110/119.

OP:
You bought a new HDTV!!! HOORAY!!!

Now get what you need, and it ain't that old 300 dish!!
Call Dish or a local retailer an do an upgrade to a 722 and with one tv, set it up for single mode. .
YOU NEED A NEW DISH for HD.

fred

The cheapest way to get a working receiver is call DISH and sign up for DHPP(digital home protection plan) at $5.99/mo. DISH will replace you old receiver and ship it to you free. I just replaced a 7100DVR under this and they gave me a FREE 508DVR. After you have the replacement call back and cancel the DHPP, no more $5.99 fee.

When I bought my VIP receiver I had a 301 in service and working. It was taken off my account and it sits in my basement. I'm just letting you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts