dish 34 inch monitor

carlosg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
:cool: thinking about getting the 34 inch hd monitor can anybody tell me if its worth the money and does it show good and what brand is the tv thanks

carlosg said:
:cool: thinking about getting the 34 inch hd monitor can anybody tell me if its worth the money and does it show good and what brand is the tv thanks
It's an RCA. I got mine almost a year ago and so far it's been a great tv. Lots of inputs; great HD picture when the source is good. Lots of adjustments for picture and sound. One strong point is the zoom options. Since most of today's programing is still broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio, you have to decide whether you want to watch it with the side bars or stretch / zoom it to fit your 16:9 screen. This monitor has what they call a "cinerama" mode which is a combo of stretch & zoom that only crops slightly and does it's stretch at the sides, so the picture actually looks pretty decent. Widescreen dvds really look good on this set but I guess the clincher (for me) was the cost. I nearest I could find any other 34" widescreen HD ready monitor was around $2K and up, so this for $999 including the HD receiver was the only way I could afford to get into the HD arena.

The set is ok for the money.

Actually, I think the aspect ratio settings are rather lacking. Most widescreen HDTVs provide zoom functions for 4:3 source (though I HATE watching distorted material).

I have a DVD recorder hooked to a component input doing 480p. The TV only supports 16:9 with this source (all feeds from the DVD recorder are distorted to 16:9).

I bought an RGB to component converter and hooked up my computer. Again, it's difficult to get the aspect ration correct because the TV is forcing 16:9 mode.

There are also no aspect adjustments for the DVI input.

Geometry is ok, but not great. There's some distortion and focus loss on the sides of the screen. I think all 34" widescreen tubes have this problem. There's a service menu where this can be adjusted (to some extent).

There's a setting called "scan velocity modulation" that should be renamed to "Make Picture Blurry". I was ready to call RCA service till I noticed this and turned it off.

Try a search, there have been other threads discussing this TV.

2K and up? You must be a terrible shopper, even an overpriced sony at overpriced bestbuy is $1600 for a 34" wide directview HDTV.

mboy said:
2K and up? You must be a terrible shopper, even an overpriced sony at overpriced bestbuy is $1600 for a 34" wide directview HDTV.
OK, Here we go......

Which Sony 34" widescreen, direct view HDTV was priced $1600 last Janurary - when I bought the unit I was referring to?

And what kind of way is that to start a reply: "You must be a terrible shopper" ?

The point of this thread was someone asking about this particular monitor and my reply was simply giving my prospective on it. Since the 811 was fetching at least $300 last Jan, if you could even get one (anyone remember that), so that made this monitor under $700.

Please enlighten this "terrible shopper" of any other way I could have had an 34" WS HDTV to watch for this whole past year for $700 ?

I didn't think so. Your apology is accepted, now go away.

Yes, I'm cranky today.

WaltinVt

Enjoy your RCA Walt. Hope they don't turn out like the last 2 peices of Junk RCA TV's I owned.
Oh yeah, who said I was going to apologize?
Ok, Ok, you got me, sorry you own an RCA TV.
Is that better?

Move along!

mboy said:
Enjoy your RCA Walt. Hope they don't turn out like the last 2 peices of Junk RCA TV's I owned.
Oh yeah, who said I was going to apologize?
Ok, Ok, you got me, sorry you own an RCA TV.
Is that better?

Move along!
Thank you for feeling bad for me but $700 was all I could afford for a HDTV last Jan and so far I've gotten a year of enjoying HD that I would not have gotten had I waited for prices to come down on other brands.

By the way, what did you pay for your 32" Sammy 3 years ago ?

I didn't mean to bust your chops tht bad Walt. I and know of MANY others who have had horrible exeprience with a few different models of RCA televisions.
I can just not recommend them.

I bought the Sammy for $900 (it was the Sears only model-altho an identical model with different # was also sold @ jandr, BB, etc) for $900 delivered to my door.
Wife bought it for my Bday. Shopped VERY hard, found someone who sold them on ebay. Turns out she worked for them, had a LOT of positive feedback. I called her @ her office (which was only 30mn from me).
Sent her $900 via Payal (TV was $850 + 50 for shipping). Had it delivered a few days later. Registered it online and had a 15 month warranty.
This was back in March of 2002. Sears was selling the Exact model for $1499.
bestbuy had a lesser model (without the built in subwoofers-and to this day I have NEVER heard ANY sound thru the tv's speakers) which they were selling for $1200 I believe.
I lease my 811, so I did not (and would not have ) lay out any $$$ for it.
Next month it is back to Cablevision for me, their 16+ HD channels AND a dual tuner HD PVR (which many have reported works VERY well) for a lot less then I am paying dish now (for the next 2-3 years anyway).
Glad you are enjoying your TV. I may have considered the same if in your shoes at the time. I hope your luck is much better then mine with RCA.

I've had mine since November. Great TV, great price, I paid a net $450 for the tv since the 921 was $549 and my cost for the bundle was $999. I have not experienced any of the picture/qualty isses others have. My picture does not fade at all into the corners, and amazingly the sound quality of the speakers is quite good. I'll be very happy using this TV for a year or two until the Sharp LCD's come down in price. Buy it now with the 921 if you still can! You even get a DVI cable included in the deal!

waltinvt\ said:
It's an RCA. I got mine almost a year ago and so far it's been a great tv. Lots of inputs; great HD picture when the source is good. Lots of adjustments for picture and sound. One strong point is the zoom options. Since most of today's programing is still broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio, you have to decide whether you want to watch it with the side bars or stretch / zoom it to fit your 16:9 screen. This monitor has what they call a "cinerama" mode which is a combo of stretch & zoom that only crops slightly and does it's stretch at the sides, so the picture actually looks pretty decent. Widescreen dvds really look good on this set but I guess the clincher (for me) was the cost. I nearest I could find any other 34" widescreen HD ready monitor was around $2K and up, so this for $999 including the HD receiver was the only way I could afford to get into the HD arena.
Price now is 699 now is that plus freightt? Dont see frt charge on site.
I am going to recommned this set to my sister - law.
Also to get set and Dish installed on NEw account must you order direct from DISH or can my local dish retailer get the 699 TV?

thanks
Trido

There is no frieght, it will be delivered by your Authorized Dish retailer! After saying that I don't see why you couldn't get it from a retailer instead of going through the Dish phone Number, because when you order it from Dish, the retailer is going to be the one that brings it to you.

But no matter what way you do it there will be TAX. When I ordered mine (I got the 40") back in Feb 04, I was told nothing about TAX, then my next Dish bill came and they charged me like $70 in sales tax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)