Dish 411 First impressions

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I received my Dish 411 on Monday 12/19. I didn't unpack it until Tuesday. Very nice, silver, not quite as high as my 6000 (maybe /2 or so).

Go it hooked up and pluged in and it took me right to the setup/align satellite screen. Got it set up for my Dish 500 + 61.5 system. Did the switch check with no problems. Once the switch check was completed it went in and started downloading updated software. It completed this while I was dialing CSR who then sent me to TSR to activate the receiver.

The TSR was very good in stepping me through setting up my OTA locals. The receiver is now activated.

I went in to modify my locals list. When I finished I told it to save. After 10 minutes and the receiver still telling me it was saving the information I rebooted it with the power switch since I felt the receiver was locked up.

It re-boot fine and I went to check my locals and they were indeed saved.

It came with a DVR remote control.
Picture looks great in HD (Sony Grand Wega 60")
Sony digital sound sounds great (Sony 3000ES system)

So far thats all I have had time to play with. I ended up going to the local Maal last nite :mad: and buying a new HD capable TV for my computer/rqadio room which I will set up on Saturday.

Can't wait for the new MPEG4 HD DVR (622 ?) to be released in February.

Will be with more when I have a chance to play more.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

I don't know since I had all of the cables before hand. I will open the cable package tonite and let you know.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D
:confused:

If you have an OTA antenna hooked up does it still have the 49% signal problem? What about channels droping out and freezing like the 811 and 942 have been doing?

csschrot said:
Rich what cables came with the 411?
Thanks
Shawn
Shawn, The cables include 1 3' RF Coax cable, about 25' phone line and a composite video/audio cable assy. Thats it. I'm glad I went out and bought a HMDI to DVI cable.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

BrettTRay said:
If you have an OTA antenna hooked up does it still have the 49% signal problem? What about channels droping out and freezing like the 811 and 942 have been doing?
My OTA channels are the same signal strength as with the 6000, mid to upper 80s. I didn't watch too long but I saw no stuttering of the video or loss of audio. If you look at the picture next to my info my HD UHF antenna is the 1 hanging off the left side of my tower and it is up about 25 -30'. I will give it more testing over the weekend nut so far so good.:) :) :)

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

NR2D said:
Shawn, The cables include 1 3' RF Coax cable, about 25' phone line and a composite video/audio cable assy. Thats it. I'm glad I went out and bought a HMDI to DVI cable.
Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Maybe that's their plan to get away with downrezzing--only include the lowest quality sd cables with their new hd receivers. :p

Hammer, I actually email Dan Minick (sp) VP of software and he said none of the newer HD receiver would be supporting PSIP. That really sucks for us here since most of our OTA Digital stuff is coming from a different markert. Also 4 of the channels use a sub-channel so even with the DISH locals we still can't get the guide info for those.

I really think DISH is screwing us on this. That PSIP info is there and I have seen some of the Wal-mart $600 HDTV even use the PSIP info. It can't be that hard to write it into the software. Or maybe I'm way off here but I think it truely sucks.

Shawn

Rich, since the 411 is using the 942's GUI, I was wondering if it shares the 942's annoying feature of reporting OTA channels with no Dish LiL subscription as "NR/AO". In a household with non-adults, this means that I have to unlock the 942 so my son can watch PBS or cartoons on the local religious station. I think the religious station's owner would not be amused to know that Dish thinks their programming is "Adult-Oriented"!

I have the 55" Grand Wega with an 811.
I'm not impressed at all with the picture quality. I used to have a crystal clear picture with my old JVC 56" CRT.

I have my 811 set to 1080i to try and improve picture quality, but I can't get a picture through HDMI on the Sony. I can only get a picture through component inputs when using 1080i.

Are you using HDMI with your 411 and Grand Wega?
Are you using 1080i or 720p?

Thanks

Shouldn't it be just like the 811 except it does mpeg4? I would think that all the mpeg4 receivers like the 211/411 /622 will be just like the receivers they replace except the mpeg4 chip or encoders. Surely to God , Dish isn't trying to recreate the receiver from the ground up on these new mpeg4 receivers.

OK let me try to answer more questions. First on thee OTA channel guide, I get the "NR/AO". Since I only live 10 miles from Philly I can't get the loacls on the Satellite.

The resolution. I t came up as 480P, I just tried 720P and 1080I, I was watch DISHD and Steve Erwin, Snake Handler. A lot of color and contract. BOTH looked GREAT. The 2 other guys I work with have said the native resolution of the TV is 720P. I will leave the 411 in 1080P for a while and see what happens.

BTW if I didn't mention it both the componet and HDMI outputs are active at the same time. There was no difference in PQ that I could see but that was just a quick look.

Ref the person who can't get his HDMI to work on his Sony - the video input on mine is "VIDEO 7" and again it works great. BTW My TV only has a DVI input anyway, just looked it up in the owners manual.

I hope this shines a little more light.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

csschrot said:
Hammer, I actually email Dan Minick (sp) VP of software and he said none of the newer HD receiver would be supporting PSIP. That really sucks for us here since most of our OTA Digital stuff is coming from a different markert. Also 4 of the channels use a sub-channel so even with the DISH locals we still can't get the guide info for those.
I really think DISH is screwing us on this. That PSIP info is there and I have seen some of the Wal-mart $600 HDTV even use the PSIP info. It can't be that hard to write it into the software. Or maybe I'm way off here but I think it truely sucks.
Shawn

Ok, thanks for the info. I agree, Dish is moving in the wrong direction on this issue. Their method for OTA EPG is flawed.

Hammer

The old boxes don't support PSIP guide either so this is nothing new, they just don't force you to buy locals for the info. The worst thing to me is this is exactly what the $5 DVR fee should cover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)