Dish 411's Now Available

Isn't the "2 day" (44 hr?) sent from one satellite, and the 9 day, from the other- 110 vs 119?

411 and price vs. the Dtv H20 for 199 and rebate

If you want a free HDTV IRD Get it from Directv now, but theres a catch
You have a 2 year contract to deal with!!! Not my cup of tea, minimum programming agreements etc!!! A lot can happen in 2 years!!!

With Dish you pay the 300 whatever bucks, subscribe to whatever you want maybe just locals and no other programming, you own the box cancel at any time and ReEbay the box and get like 50-75% of the initial cost back. There is no reason right now today dec 17th to get the 411 over the 811.

Dish will probably be giving the 411 away come the 1st of the year if your locals, the top three dma will be in hd. I got my 811 for $50 bucks including the install, but I had a 1 year contract to stay with dish because , and I am happy with them except for the loss of bloomberg.

Just my $0.02

Lucky said:
Why in the world is Dish Network getting $ 369 for a new receiver when DirecTV is getting $ 199 for new MPEG4 receivers plus they give you a $ 200 rebate on the first receiver. E* has to be out of their mind. If I had to pay $ 369 just to get their new channels I would just go to DirecTV get the first receiver free, and pay only $ 199 for a second receiver. Believe me, at some point DirecTV will add more national HD channels, too.
In my situation I lease my two 811's. If they do not have some kind of free or near free upgrade I will pack my Dish bags and take the DirecTV deal. I will not pay Charlie's extortion to get his new channels. By putting the new channels in MPEG4 it will be pure extortion to get more out of the customers through equipment costs. They will either have a free upgrade, or I would advise everyone to take advantage of the DirecTV offer. They will offer 150 nationals (obviously if available) by 2007. This is just Charlie trying to squeeze more money out of us. :mad:

Dish network doesn't squeeze you for a 2 year contract (if that's right? I know it's 1 year at the least) every time you add a receiver. In fact, if you buy them (even if you lease them) you don't get a contract at all.

dodge said:
There is no reason right now today dec 17th to get the 411 over the 811.

One thing that has been mentioned only once in this thread. No UHF remote capability on the 411. Why have a 75ohm RF output on the box in the first place? That is why the RF is there so you can watch TV in another room if you like on a regular TV and still change channels. I use my HD receivers in the rooms where I have a HD display but also RF the signal to non HD displays in other rooms and control the channels with the UHF remote.

If you are not looking for additional channels only available in Mpeg4, the 411 looks to be a step backward in technology compared to the 811.

Indy said:
One thing that has been mentioned only once in this thread. No UHF remote capability on the 411. Why have a 75ohm RF output on the box in the first place? That is why the RF is there so you can watch TV in another room if you like on a regular TV and still change channels. I use my HD receivers in the rooms where I have a HD display but also RF the signal to non HD displays in other rooms and control the channels with the UHF remote.
If you are not looking for additional channels only available in Mpeg4, the 411 looks to be a step backward in technology compared to the 811.

I also use my UHF remote on my 811 extensively. I use the DVI, component, s-video and composite video outputs to feed 4 televisions/monitors and a DVD recorder. I have to believe they did this to cut costs but Dish may have designed it like the 311 that has a interface on the bottom of the unit for a UHF upgrade device.

rocatman said:
I also use my UHF remote on my 811 extensively. I use the DVI, component, s-video and composite video outputs to feed 4 televisions/monitors and a DVD recorder. I have to believe they did this to cut costs ...

...or to force folks doing what you are to buy more receivers to get to multiple TV.

(not that I personally have a problem with what you are doing...just tossing out a thought :up )

Anyone know if the 411 will output anamorphic 480i on its S-Video like the 942 does over composite? I can't justify a getting a DVD recorder for my existing 2nd room 811 for specifically that limitation, but if a lease/upgrade is priced right and it has that functionality...

Scott, since you got to beta the 411, do you know if it mimics the 942's behavior of labelling OTA stations that don't get Dish EPG data as "NR/AO" instead of no rating or "NR"? That's one of my biggest gripes about the 942.

Scott Greczkowski said:
We are not getting clear information, and unfortunately that is HURTING Dish Networks business.

I wish they would give us their EXACT plans now, they are hurting themselves by not doing so. And this is the time of the year where this information matters the most.
I agree.
I am getting feedback from DN CSR's to the effect they are advising customers to hold of on getting DN's current HD receivers as they will not be mpeg4 compliant.I have a huge dilemma in that I am supposed install a 942 next weekend for my parents as Chrstmas present...The CSR's do not know about any upgrade procedures/policies for HD customers..In my view this is bad business..If DN is intending on charging custs for mpeg4 compatible recever upgrades, they are IMO making a very big mistake....I believe charging customers will make many of them skepitical on DN's fairnes to the current custs...in the past DN's reluctance to offer dual tuners to existing customers until recently is a slap in the face..and bad for business

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
Just another update, this receiver does not come with any cables, just the receiver, the remote, batteries, a channel card and a manual.
The lack of cables(component,s-video,composite) resembles the same crappy scenario of the much maligned 111 receiver..That thing was a lead baloon.....this is a real bad idea on DN's part.....The cust will think they are saving $$ by getting this until they have to go thru the expense of buying cables....Plus as a tech, I can foresee hassles with customers upon install...I hope I don't get too many of these...Instead of the 411 DN should call this the 911.....Because it's going to be a disaster.....

cbstv said:
i currently own 2 811s. if i have this right, upgrading them to the 411 will only additionally get me my hd locals (NYC). all other channels (including the 5 new voom channels) are mpeg2. right? am i missing something here?
The 411 is mpeg2 and mpeg4 compatible

Drone35 said:
Check this out the 411 already on Ebay, buy now for $550! There is a picture with everything that comes with it and it shows cables! Ill try to post picture here!

I don't see a component cable......Brilliant E*...Just brilliant. and a t $369.....are they trying discourage people from buying this box?....

As was stated in the Nov 10th retailer chat:

Reciever will only come with phone line cord, and composite (yellow/red/white). NO component cable. Possibly S-video.

So what it looks like to me is that D*** is going to tick quite a few people off by making the new Voom channels and ESPN2 channel mpeg4, so if you have MPEG2 current equipment you'll not get any MORE new channels, but you'll be able to watch existing only in HD. If you buy a new 411 you'll be able to see the MPEG2 hd channels and the NEW Voom and ESPN2 HD channels. And yes I watched the November tech chat and listened very carefully to the last Charlie Chat.
Since my 811 is only a few months old, then I guess I won't be getting any new HD channels for a while. Just might be time to switch to Direct.
Tim

OoTLink said:
Dish network doesn't squeeze you for a 2 year contract (if that's right? I know it's 1 year at the least) every time you add a receiver. In fact, if you buy them (even if you lease them) you don't get a contract at
all.

Directv tried to pull that on me when I went to reactive a 5 year old receiver, took retention to get it waived. I'd get cable before I'd sub to them again.

Even though you can get component cables that are equivalent to what Dish packages for around $7-$8, it is definitely a hassle for the consumer to have to go out and buy them. These should be included in the price of the unit.

Scott Greczkowski said:
We are not getting clear information, and unfortunately that is HURTING Dish Networks business.

I wish they would give us their EXACT plans now, they are hurting themselves by not doing so. And this is the time of the year where this information matters the most.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were never used for ANYTHING. There is an expansion port on the back of my 508 that still has no useful function, and now I am sure never will.

I placed a lease order today for a new HD receiver as an existing customer. The CSR had no idea that there was a difference between a 411/211 and an 811 (He asked about the spelling of MPEG). I clearly told him I did NOT want to see an 811 show up at my house. He told me he couldn't control it, but made a note on my account stating that if I received an 811 it would be replaced with a 411 or 211. It was a $100 upfront fee including install (I need some new equipment to be able to get a 3rd room hooked up so it was worth it). Then $5 a month lease fee and $5 a month for HD pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)