Dish 500+ /1000 Instalation Manuals and Product Info

So I can guess that even though we've had the 622 less then 30 days they won't upgrade me for free if I'm in one of the DMA's on 118.

When the price for a dish and switch as stated by SmityWhity in post #18 exceeds the price of the receiver its time to think of an alterative method.
Far, far too expensive.
Dishnetwork will not see me purchasing this set up any time soon.

prices for the dish is just too expensive. Hopefully I can find a lnb which works with a 33" inch dish which is cheaper.

maddawg said:
prices for the dish is just too expensive. Hopefully I can find a lnb which works with a 33" inch dish which is cheaper.

Absolutely the better way to go.

I understand that satellite providers have to make a profit, but come on, lets do it with programming sales and not essential equipment to receive their programming. :mad:

IRT "profit on equipment sales" -- reminds you of the "Bell System" days when you paid for phone service, and then had to turn around and rent each telephone from them.

At least now the prices include a switch, which was not listed as included on the original listing. That said, it appears on the 1000+, $200 is for the DPP44, and on the 500+, $70 is for the DP34 switch, which probably makes both the 500+ and 1000+ just slight more expensive than the current 500 and 1000, but then they each have a new LNBF cluster, as well as another DP LNBF for 129 on the 1000+.

Hopefully some vendors will sell the dish and LNBF without a switch for those who do not need it. (Hint, hint)

But it's still extra money we shouldn't have to put out just because the company decides to do a shuffle of birds. However, it doesn't look like it is going to affect a high percent of the customers, i.e., a few international markets, and 5 local HD markets. (All depending on what ends up shuffled in the long run.)

Maybe they will provide needed equipment, or provide a discount. But also, still no word on cost of a "500+/1000+ Repoint Kit" for the SuperDish, and/or if there will be any kits to convert/upgrade Dish 500/Dish 1000.

IRT "Hopefully I can find a lnb which works with a 33" inch dish which is cheaper." I guess you need to find a cross between a "standard" and a "universal" LNBF; i.e., a standard LNBF that will work at the lower frequencies (11.7 - 12.2), or a universal LNBF that will use circular polarity instead of linear (H/V).

I don't know if the Invacom will work or not.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, all these threads and statements are beginning to run together as its blatantly clear E* (unlike D*) has no long term plan is a cobbling together a satellite system as they go - picking up space junk like 129W in the process.

That said and the starting point, I *believe* it was said earlier on that they would make a lnb that would pop in place of a pop in place of a current 119W lnb. Now, that would make the most sense and be the most cost effective solution for E*, so I seriously doubt that will happen - as its too logical.

Now all the talk is that its a new dish with a built in DP44 blah blah blah at a cost 2x their ViP211.

Clearly the former makes the most logical sense, so again, I assume that will not happen in favor of the later.

That said, as these are not on a seperate band - and really going to need the same feed horn even though we do have the difference in circular v linear, if indeed they were to go with the logical first, simple lnb replacement for 119, wouldn't this be much harder to feed to the stb than say, the D* AT9 where you have Ka vs Ku with the Ka downcoverted for transmission to the stb. Is it even possible to use an approach like this - as the STB would be forced to know what to do with the signal, which none of the stbs would be set up to do at this point?

Thus it seems this really has to be dealt with as part of a complete package up top with the full Dish/Switch combination, not a simple 119W lnb change.

That said, we won't be getting a solution with a simple 119W lnb switchout will we? There are much smarter tech heads here for this stuff than me!

Hey, I was just looking at the installation instructions for the + dish. After all else is done..."fine tune 118.7 using the point dish screen". I wonder, does DNW recommend (A) have the customer stand on the back porch and yell "better" (B) have the customer call me on my cell phone with the info, or (C) do they assume I am part of a 2 man team of installation company "techs" who basically started yesterday and can do no wrong because THEY ARE DISH NETWORK! Just curious.

you can buy a cheap meter at most home improvement stores for about $25. they're not that hard to use. I've installed many Superdishs with them with great success. Also some asked about how to get the 118.7 sat on a separate dish, I don't think you can because this bird is a lower frequency than the 105 and 121. Those who have aimed there old Primestar dishs at 121 my not be so lucky this time, but still worth a try. and the 500+ can get 4 sats and uses a dpp44 switch.

SmityWhity said:
<...>IRT "Hopefully I can find a lnb which works with a 33" inch dish which is cheaper." I guess you need to find a cross between a "standard" and a "universal" LNBF; i.e., a standard LNBF that will work at the lower frequencies (11.7 - 12.2), or a universal LNBF that will use circular polarity instead of linear (H/V).

I don't know if the Invacom will work or not.

Use Dish KuFSS DP LNBF from SD105; just insert plastic slab as I did for regular KuFSS LNBF.

SmityWhity said:
Hopefully some vendors will sell the dish and LNBF without a switch for those who do not need it. (Hint, hint)

I got your hint and will most likely offer it with and without the switch, leaving the option to you.

I too hope to get a Dish 1000+ without the switch. Already have the DPP44 switch. Hopefully that gets it in the $200 range - like the original superdish...

i was looking at the 500+ we have set up at the shop, the 500+ lnbf won't bolt up to a Superdish. However, a mildly skilled person with a drill press could make it fit without a problem.

Last edited:
Right now, my dish situation is:
61.5 Seperate dish - HD
105/110 Super Dish. My locals were on 105 but recently moved
119 Seperate dish.

Can't see above 119 at my location (look angle is too low). HD's will remain on 61.5 for the northeast?

105 I won't need? 118.5 I will need? Or only if locals show? The word I have from Dish says our HD locals won't be on a bird outside what I now have. Besides, OTA is what I use now and would. 119, of course, is the meat and potatoes of the system.

Barry,
What locals are you waiting for?

I have a similar situation -- separate dishes for 119, 110, and 61.5 with a VIP211.

I'm waiting for Cleveland HD locals and hope they won't be on 119x.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts