Dish 500 and 3 tuners

tmac1275

Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
MI
I currently have a Dish 500 connected to a 322 dual tuner receiver. I have this connected to 2 TV's and everything works great.

The installation looks like this right now:

2 coax cables coming from the Dish 500 Antenna into the house.

1 cable from Dish 500 goes through a series of diplexers and separators into the 322 receiver and as I mentioned, everything works great.

I now want to use the other coax from the Dish 500 to add a 311 receiver. My thought was that I could directly connect this to the receiver (i.e a barrel connector to join the cable from the Dish to the cable going to the bedroom). When I do this and try to run a switch test, it fails and doesn't recognize the satellite connection.

I can't believe this is kicking my butt, but it is.... If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong with this installation, I'd be very grateful! I have more diplexers and separators and splitters if I need them but certainly can't figure out why I would.

My thanks in advance.

Try running a straight cable run without your barrel connector, or just try hooking up the 311 where that first cable run ends to see if the checkswitch passes there. If it does, then it has something to do with your barrel connector most likely.

I am suspicious that your 2nd cable from the Dish isn't actually plugged in at the LNB.

I would think it would be problem with that second line, the barrel connector or both. There's a remote possibility that it could be the receiver, but 95% of the time it will be in lines.

Thanks for the suggestions.... I know that the line going to the bedroom is good because I can use it on uhf/vhf side of the second tuner. The barrel connector is brand new but we all know that doesn't mean anything so I will try a different one (I bought a 2 pack).

Rather that remove the LNB to check the connection of the second cable, would it be safe to remove the cable coming from Dish that is working (connected to a diplexer) and connect the suspicious second cable to the diplexer as a trouble shooting measure? Would this require me to run through any configuration on the working receiver?

Rather that remove the LNB to check the connection of the second cable, would it be safe to remove the cable coming from Dish that is working (connected to a diplexer) and connect the suspicious second cable to the diplexer as a trouble shooting measure? Would this require me to run through any configuration on the working receiver?

If your working receiver suddenly quits working, that would tell you that the 2nd coax from the dish is either bad or disconnected, yes. (The DPP twin might also be bad.) No check switch is necessary.

Well, I think I've ruled out any cable or LNB issues. If take the suspected bad cable coming from the Dish and plug it into the diplexer going to my working receiver, everything still works fine. I tried a new barrel connector with no luck (by the way I checked both barrel connectors with a meter and they appear to be good).

I'm trying to avoid having a Dish Tech come to the house for something stupid. I hate to think that the brand new receiver is DOA but that is what it's looking like.

Any other suggestions on how to check out the receiver?

Well, I think I've ruled out any cable or LNB issues. If take the suspected bad cable coming from the Dish and plug it into the diplexer going to my working receiver, everything still works fine. I tried a new barrel connector with no luck (by the way I checked both barrel connectors with a meter and they appear to be good).

I'm trying to avoid having a Dish Tech come to the house for something stupid. I hate to think that the brand new receiver is DOA but that is what it's looking like.

Any other suggestions on how to check out the receiver?
Connect the 311 where the 322 is and that will tell you if the receiver is bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts