Dish 500 FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes indeed Al. It's been raining lightly on and off since about 8:30am
The sun is trying to break through right now. I will send the rain south for ya.

Some decent weather has moved in and I got a chance to play until the mosquitos decided to eat me for dinner.
I was able to get AMC9 easily. I will try for a few more sats tomorrow if the rain stays away.

Attachments

• test1.JPG
    test1.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 151
  • test2.JPG
    test2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 144
  • test3.JPG
    test3.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 155
  • test4.JPG
    test4.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 124
  • test5.JPG
    test5.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 146
For me prob about 2hrs work LOL-I will look for that metal thing on my next trip to
the building supply. Seems like something you should always have on hand.
For experiments.

Very nice pictures John Green!

You should be able to get 85 and maybe the strong stuff on 87. I assume the true south is around 83 for you? Those are the easiest to hit :)

Thanks Turbo. It was about 5 minutes of work.

That will NEVER work for the long haul. Wanna know why?

Well, do ya?

Ok.

Tie wraps are the wrong color. :D

EVERYONE knows that you use WHITE tie wraps for Ku. ;)

Sheeese. :):D

Seriosuly though, good work. :up

"by the throat" ?

That will NEVER work for the long haul.
Wanna know why?
Well, do ya?
Because unless you put that sucker on a motor, you'd better be able to skew the dish itself.
That's why we usually grab the LNB by the throat - so we can twist it where necessary. :cool:

Actually, both the Dish 500 and the Phase III dishes will skew, so that saves your bacon! :up

. . . and not to be a heretic, but I favor green tie-wraps for some reason . . .

Because unless you put that sucker on a motor, you'd better be able to skew the dish itself.
That's why we usually grab the LNB by the throat - so we can twist it where necessary. :cool:

Actually, both the Dish 500 and the Phase III dishes will skew, so that saves your bacon! :up

. . . and not to be a heretic, but I favor green tie-wraps for some reason . . .

Yea I thought about the skew issue but figured it won't matter for a little experiment with my true south sat and a few nearby. I can actually do a slight skew with the way that bracket is set up.

Dish 500 Mod

I have a standard lnb ready to go on ,but im not sure about the mounting of it. My question should have been has anyone modified a Dish 500 dish and gotten ONN on SBS6.

I have modified one and was able to get the stronger signals, it's a trial and error, you'd have to test it and see what you can lock onto.

The measurements would be the same as the DN lnbf, here's what I documented;

Mark the center of the dish and measure down about 3/4" inch, that will get you close enough, the face of the LNBF should be 13.25" from the target on the dish.

You can make a bracket or better yet, I have taken the feed arm from an 18" DTV dish (which is longer) and mounted it on the Dish 500 mount by drilling out the spot welds and fastening with sheet metal screws.

By using this method, you can use a Linear LNBF, the type that looks just like the DTV legacy LNBF, it will fit just the same, you can mount it right to the feed arm and it looks factory, it will put your LNBF right where it's supposed to be.

You still retain the Dish 500 scew mechanism unlike the DTV.

BTW, I have seen a single LNBF adaptor on eBay that will adapt one of these Linear LNBF's to the stock Dish 500 arm without making the mod. It looks just like the plastic "Y" adaptor that comes stock on the dish but it's single "I". I don't have the link so you'll have to search.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)