Dish 500 hardware setup.

iceman37

Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
I have a Dish 500 dish.
I want to run the cable from the dish to a central location in the house. A wiring closet. From there I want to use some type of splitter so I can take the reciever to any room at any time.

My problme is a purchased a 4 way splitter from local hardware store. When I plug the cable from the disk into the In on the splittere and plug the reciever on one of the outs I get no signal. The splitter is supposed to have a DC bypass. Im thinkg the LNB is not getting power or something.

Any recommendataions on this.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!!!!!!!

What you need is a switch in stead of a splittter. Get you a DP34 switch and Run Two wires to it from dish. One from each side, then from there you can run 4 rooms.

What ke4est said. I just want to add that if you have a dual tuner receiver (622, 625, 722, 522), you will need two cable runs to the dual tuner receiver.

Depending on how many receivers and what type of receiver, you could use two DP34s or a DPP44 switch. The DPP44 will allow you to run a single cable to the dual tuner receiver.

If he only has one receiver he only needs 1 line from the dish to the DP34. Any more receivers and he needs two.

I noticed sponser carries the switch.
Let me ask you this the installer splace a switch up in the attic. So he took the cables (6ft) from the LNB's and hook up some sort of 4x1 swicthc. No name brand. Then ran the cable from the out on the switch to my reciever. What Id like to do is take this 1 cable that goes to my reciver and drop it in a structured wiring setup. Then basicall feed it all my rooms or another wall in same room. I just want to be able to pick up the reciver and plug it into a coax outlok at have it work. Would it work with two switches? Or am I better off removing the 4x1 and extending the two cables from the dish to my structured wiring closet?

I noticed sponser carries the switch.
Let me ask you this the installer splace a switch up in the attic. So he took the cables (6ft) from the LNB's and hook up some sort of 4x1 swicthc. No name brand. Then ran the cable from the out on the switch to my reciever. What Id like to do is take this 1 cable that goes to my reciver and drop it in a structured wiring setup. Then basicall feed it all my rooms or another wall in same room. I just want to be able to pick up the reciver and plug it into a coax outlok at have it work. Would it work with two switches? Or am I better off removing the 4x1 and extending the two cables from the dish to my structured wiring closet?
What you need to do is contact your local cable company and get them to provide cable to you. What you want to do is not economically possible with satellite. Splitters cannot be used with satellite. Generic brand switches usually don't work well with DISH Network.

If he only has one receiver he only needs 1 line from the dish to the DP34. Any more receivers and he needs two.

you will need two cables from the dish to the dp 3:4 switch, one cable will represent the 119 orbit and the other the 110 orbit

In order to do what you would like to do is to use the DP34 switch. You will have to run a wire from the dish to the switch from each satellite that you receive. With a Dish 500 that would be two wires (one for 119 and one for 110) to the switch into your closet. Now the DP34 has 4 outputs from the switch that can be taken to other wall outlets. The switch can be cascaded two more times for a total of 12 outputs. If you have a dual tuner receiver than a DPP44 switch will have to be used.

Mritt75: I think you have answered my question. So this leads to another question. Is there a distance limitation on how far the switch should be from the dish. Right now its 6 feet (119 and 110) cables to the current noname switch. Then about 40 feet from out of the current switch to my reciver. So the wiring closet it about 30 feet from the dish. So I would need (2) 30 ft runs from the dish to my wireing closet. Any pro/cons doing this or loss of signal?

In order to do what you would like to do is to use the DP34 switch. You will have to run a wire from the dish to the switch from each satellite that you receive. With a Dish 500 that would be two wires (one for 119 and one for 110) to the switch into your closet. Now the DP34 has 4 outputs from the switch that can be taken to other wall outlets. The switch can be cascaded two more times for a total of 12 outputs. If you have a dual tuner receiver than a DPP44 switch will have to be used.

I would like to make a correction to this. I would not recommend cascading anymore switches. If you cascade a switch, a receiver has to be connected to the first switch in order to power the other two switches. I have seen them work with two switches before, but eventually ran into problems.

To the OP, could you pls. tell us how many receivers you have and what models? It will help with giving you a more accurate answer.

My understanding of the OP is that he has one single tuner receiver and would like to be able to move the receiver from room to room. My previous post will work with one switch, he just will not be able to cascade any more switches. The OP tried a 4 way splitter to begin with so I think just one DP34 should work. New idea though, if anybody has the answer. Could you cascade DPP44 switches since they have a power inserter? Have not had to cascade any of them, would like to know the answer.

Wait...duh...my bad...you can't run a DP34 off of one line, regardless of how many receivers. The switch needs to see 110 and 119 separately.

However, if 1 receiver, and only 1 receiver, will be used, get a 4-way splitter THAT PASSES POWER ON ALL PORTS. That should work provided only one receiver is used at a time.

My understanding of the OP is that he has one single tuner receiver and would like to be able to move the receiver from room to room. My previous post will work with one switch, he just will not be able to cascade any more switches. The OP tried a 4 way splitter to begin with so I think just one DP34 should work. New idea though, if anybody has the answer. Could you cascade DPP44 switches since they have a power inserter? Have not had to cascade any of them, would like to know the answer.

Yes, you can but you need the power inserter on each switch on port 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts