Dish 500 linear mod for 103 - How do y'all like today's handwork?

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
The old Dish 500 has been on the house for a lot of years with no action, pulled it down and decided I want it to earn its keep today. Did some rough measurements and estimates and got it hooked up. Not too bad if you ask me! I need to go to the store and get a proper nut and bolt for it. I'll do that tomorrow.

IMG_6974.jpeg

IMG_6975.jpeg

IMG_6977.jpeg

While posting this I saw a link to Iceberg's post where he added a linear LNB to a 500 in the 00s... I noticed he is skewing the dishing instead of the LNB as I did. I wonder if that would bring a stronger signal?

Unfortunately the problem with mounting anything on wood, especially unfinished wood, is that it can warp. If you are lucky it will never warp enough to cause a problem. If you are unlucky you'll need to re-aim the dish a couple of times a year or more to compensate for the warping. This is the sad voice of experience talking (never mout a dish on a 4x4 pole, even if it is treated lumber!).

Unfortunately the problem with mounting anything on wood, especially unfinished wood, is that it can warp. If you are lucky it will never warp enough to cause a problem. If you are unlucky you'll need to re-aim the dish a couple of times a year or more to compensate for the warping. This is the sad voice of experience talking (never mout a dish on a 4x4 pole, even if it is treated lumber!).

On no, this is just a staging area for the mod and testing. It's mount arm is still up on the house. Im going to put it back up there when I get it the way I want it. Im no fan of ladders so it has to come down for me to work on it.

A little update... I came home tonight and we had light rain, real light rain but still rain. I said let me see what the signal is. I bet the rain destroys it...

IMG_7004.jpeg
IMG_7007.jpeg

Not too shabby. I dont think it would take much more to degrade though.

Reactions: danristheman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)