Dish 500 Repoint to 61.5/72

PhoneLine

Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Hi guys,
I’ve been doing some searching on the forums and know that what I need to do is possible, but some aspects of it are new to me and I just would like to ask a couple of questions.

I currently have 2 dish 500’s.  One pointing to 110/119 and the other to 61.5.  I’m aware I need to switch over to 61.5 / 72.7 / 77.

My main issue is that due to damage that a 3rd party installer did on the roof, the landlord will not allow any new equipment to be installed.  We can maintain what we have, but that’s it. 

So, I thought my Dish days were over, but found doing some searching that I can use the 110/119 dish to see 61.5/72.7 and the other to grab 77.  While some of the posts say it’s not the ideal setup, it is my only choice and I’m willing to give it a shot.  Since it doesn’t seem Dish will do this, I guess I’m on my own to repoint.
Since one dish is already pointing to 61.5, would I be better off moving the dual LNBF from the 110/119 dish over to that one? The 61.5 should remain locked on, and I would have to do some perhaps small adjustments to get a good/adequate signal on both?  Then I can put the single LNBF on the other dish and move that one to find 77?  Is that a better; or somewhat easier route to go? 

Or if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.  I did do some searching here, but aside from people saying its possible, I didn’t see much more in detail.  And while I have much experience with cabling and such, actually pointing the dishes will be a new endeavor for me.

Overall, I really appreciate any info anyone can offer that will make it go as smooth as possible.  Worst case I am sure I could find someone to do it and pay them, but I’d like to make it a learning experience as well.  And if I have too many parts left over, and then call someone

As long as you're up there doing a repoint, you might as well point a 1000.4. My recollection is that a 1000.4 uses a long 1-5/8" OD mast so it should fit on either of the existing masts.

The only concern would be if your dish is regularly exposed to heavy winds where you would need additional bracing.

The secret to overall success is never removing a mounting foot from the roof.

Only you can weigh the value a DIY "learning experience" against the risk of being forced to resort to cable television.

As long as you're up there doing a repoint, you might as well point a 1000.4. My recollection is that a 1000.4 uses a long 1-5/8" OD mast so it should fit on either of the existing masts.

The only concern would be if your dish is regularly exposed to heavy winds where you would need additional bracing.

The secret to overall success is never removing a mounting foot from the roof.

Only you can weigh the value a DIY "learning experience" against the risk of being forced to resort to cable television.

I think you need the wider dish to go with the LNB. Otherwise, I think the signal strength will probably be less than ideal.

Hi guys,
I’ve been doing some searching on the forums and know that what I need to do is possible, but some aspects of it are new to me and I just would like to ask a couple of questions.

I currently have 2 dish 500’s. One pointing to 110/119 and the other to 61.5. I’m aware I need to switch over to 61.5 / 72.7 / 77.

My main issue is that due to damage that a 3rd party installer did on the roof, the landlord will not allow any new equipment to be installed. We can maintain what we have, but that’s it.

So, I thought my Dish days were over, but found doing some searching that I can use the 110/119 dish to see 61.5/72.7 and the other to grab 77. While some of the posts say it’s not the ideal setup, it is my only choice and I’m willing to give it a shot. Since it doesn’t seem Dish will do this, I guess I’m on my own to repoint.
Since one dish is already pointing to 61.5, would I be better off moving the dual LNBF from the 110/119 dish over to that one? The 61.5 should remain locked on, and I would have to do some perhaps small adjustments to get a good/adequate signal on both? Then I can put the single LNBF on the other dish and move that one to find 77? Is that a better; or somewhat easier route to go?

Or if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I did do some searching here, but aside from people saying its possible, I didn’t see much more in detail. And while I have much experience with cabling and such, actually pointing the dishes will be a new endeavor for me.

Overall, I really appreciate any info anyone can offer that will make it go as smooth as possible. Worst case I am sure I could find someone to do it and pay them, but I’d like to make it a learning experience as well. And if I have too many parts left over, and then call someone

The easiest thing to do would be to leave the 110/119 alone.Point the 61.5 to 129 if you have a los.Then you have a hybrid western arc.No need for 61.5 or the other eastern birds.

Does your 61.5 dish still have the "Y" or has it been switched for the "I" adapter? Is the 61.5 skewed or set at 90* for the 61.5?

Does your 61.5 dish still have the "Y" or has it been switched for the "I" adapter? Is the 61.5 skewed or set at 90* for the 61.5?

The 61.5 has a Y on it. It's got a spot for another lnb if that is what you mean? As far as skewed or set at 90? Not sure what you mean.

As far as pointing the 61.5 to 129 and leaving 110/119, wouldn't I lose my hd locals? I think they are on 61.5.

The 61.5 has a Y on it. It's got a spot for another lnb if that is what you mean? As far as skewed or set at 90? Not sure what you mean.

As far as pointing the 61.5 to 129 and leaving 110/119, wouldn't I lose my hd locals? I think they are on 61.5.

No idea,as I can't tell where your from lol.

U should be able to have an EA install at no charge. The existing footing for the 61.5 dish can be used. Maybe even the mast as well. Contact a DIRT member for help.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Great info thanks guys. I have no interest in internationals, but do like some of the Sirius stations. Are those on 61.5 or 72.5?

Try looking at the LIST at the top of this website and it has all the satellites listed and the channels that are on them.

Excellent, thanks! Seems 72.7 does have all I need. With my luck as soon as I'm done, they will start to transfer things to 77.

I think you need the wider dish to go with the LNB. Otherwise, I think the signal strength will probably be less than ideal.
The 1000.4 is a complete antenna assembly. I was suggesting that the OP replace an existing dish and LNB with the official dish and LNB using one of the existing masts. No holes drilled and no holes added or left open in the roof.

and as I have mentioned ad nauseum, if you put up the proper dish, if and when they move things to 77, you are already set and don't have to start all over.

The landlord is being a bit of a pain and wants no new equipment. They didn't want to even hear about it using the same mast. I may try a modified yoke as I have seen others do to get 61 and 72 on one dish and point the other to 77. If it doesn't work I'll use just 61 and 72 on separate dishes till they do/if they do move more. If at some point I need 77 and can't get it, then I'll have to switch over to cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)